Re: staying warm - noses

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
      Hop,

      My balaclava is fleece so it doesn't really absorb too much but more
      importantly I don't pull it down over my mouth just to the end of my
      nose. This keeps my nose warm but lets me breath. I could never
      cover my mouth or all of my nose. With my asthma, I would die in my
      sleep.

      jamie in az

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "HopLite" <hiker@t...> wrote:
      > Perhaps mine is a silly question, but here goes: doesn't the
      condensation
      > from your exhalation soak the bandanna/balaclava/scarf/sock you use
      to cover
      > your nose? Doesn't that just drive you batty?
      >
      > Warm regards,
      > HopLite
      >

      > chcoa writes:
      >
      > > I hate having a cold nose and since I have asthmas it helps me to
      > > breathe if the air entering my body is warmer. When I'm sleeping
      in
      > > the cold I wear a baclava pulled down over my eyes and nose. It
      > > works great to warm my nose plus I don't hear as many sounds and
      I'm
      > > not bothered by the sun coming up.
      > >
      > > jamie in az
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...>
      wrote:

      > >> Last year at the PA Ruck I stayed in my hammock. I don't
      remember
      > >> how cold it got. Anybody else remember? I stayed plenty warm
      > >> in my hammock, but my nose got cold! I'm not sure I remember
      > >> that happening in a tent, but then I'm not sure I've ever tented
      > > that
      > >> cold. It was crunchy snow cold. I have a vague recollection
      that
      > >> it got down to 5 degrees. Maybe it was 15. I dunno.
      > >>
      > >> Anyway, Delee told me to put a sleeve over my nose. I thought
      > >> it would be too stuffy, but in fact it worked great. It warmed
      up
      > > the
      > >> air without suffocating me.
      > >>
      > >> -amy
      > >>
      > >> (P.S. - with all the gear I had in and around my hammock, the
      noise
      > >> nearly drove Delee insane when I got out and then back in during
      > >> the night.)

      --~-->
      > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
      Lexmark
      > > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
      Canada.
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/