Re: Newest Camping Hammock on the market!

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 25, 2003
      It looks like it would kind of heavy with the attached crank and
      all. Can't really get a good picture to tell much about it
      unfortunately. They be apealing to the young hip generation with the
      pink haired "model" they chose. Funny!

      Jamie in az

      > I just received the link below to Adrian Sports' Sleep Catcher
      > hammock. I assume this is a brand NEW product. The link came from
      > Adrian Sports themselves. The web site is informative, but
      difficult
      > to navigate. Never did find the pack weight or actual dimensions.
      > It is just another proof that camping hammocks are the wave of the
      > future!
      >
      > Does anyone have experience with this hammock? ...Ed
      >
      > http://www.sleepcatcher.com/index.php or http://www.sleepcather.com
    • stephanie
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 25, 2003
        Ah, but a crossbow isn't an option on the Hennessy or Speer. :-/

        "Gamecatcher© is a lightweight crossbow that uses the end of your
        hammock. " ??
      • Robert Moore
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 25, 2003
          not for backpacking for sure, but intriguing for kayak camping....

          stephanie <sswaim63@...> wrote:
          Ah, but a crossbow isn't an option on the Hennessy or Speer. :-/

          "Gamecatcher� is a lightweight crossbow that uses the end of your
          hammock. "  ??

          Do you Yahoo!?
          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        • Robert Moore

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 26, 2003
              I seem to remember that someone had ordered one of the Trease
              models? Did they ever tell us what their experience was?

              Youngblood

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"
              <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
              > On the other hand, I like the concept of a pretty rigid deck. Based
              > on information I got in this group, I've ordered a Trease dome
              > (www.trease.biz). It's sort of like a Sleep Catcher on steroids.
              > Having talked to the inventor, Tim, several times, however, I'm
              > quite satisfied that I shouldn't have to worry at all about it
              > falling apart! We'll see how rigging it up goes. Patrick
            • Scott A. Ferguson
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 26, 2003
                Not sure if many noticed but there are metal (?) rods on either end of the hammock, which are what
                is used for the fishing rod and/or the crossbow. I suspect that the weight is a definite issue for
                most of us on this list.

                Also if a design is covered by a patent, why do you need to sign a non-disclosure to see it?
                Sounds suspicious or at least overly protective. Glad Ed is not this paranoid!

                saF

                > "Gamecatcher� is a lightweight crossbow that uses the end of your
                > hammock. " ??

                =====
                Scott A. Ferguson
                Halifax, Nova Scotia
                Canada

                http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
              • stumplug
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 26, 2003
                  Ed, I doubt you'll find many takers on this. One close look at their
                  site makes me want to dig up my old military canvas bottom back
                  breaker. If someone does buy one I would wonder about the validity of
                  their critique. I'll bet that sucker hits the trail at six pounds, and
                  would take fifteen minutes to set up.
                • Debby Sherman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 26, 2003
                    OK, all together now.  BOOOOOOOOO!!  We don't like it.  This site gave me the creeps, and I can't explain why.
                    Debby

                    Risk <ra1@...> wrote:
                    I would also be interested in someone's actual experience with this.
                    Let me limit my comments to two:  one toward the science and one to
                    the marketing:

                    1.  Yes, any hammock can be cranked tight...  but it dramaticaly
                    increases the tension of the straps when holding weight.  This means
                    the straps need to be very tight to support the platform.  It also
                    means that if the trees are not at least 24 inches in diameter, the
                    straps would dig into my sides.

                    2.  I lost count of all the times the page said that this was
                    chiropractor approved.  Each time was irritating.  Let me just set the
                    record straight:  Ed's Speer Hammock is physician approved.  Not that
                    it matters much one way or the other.  I am more interested in whether
                    it is approved by hikers.

                    Rick Allnutt, MD

                    PS:  Punk rock band red hair with black roots??  I must be from the
                    wrong generation to get this...  Is it like my generation's torn blue
                    jeans with underwear showing through the holes back in the '70s?

                    OK, going back into my cave.  Throw sticks.

                    Risk

                  • Bror8588@AOL.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 26, 2003
                      In a message dated 11/26/03 16:45:24 Eastern Standard Time, debbyfick187@... writes:

                      OK, all together now.  BOOOOOOOOO!!  We don't like it.  This site gave me the creeps, and I can't explain why.
                      Debby

                      To each his/her own. I like my Clark Jungle Hammock, I like the Speer Hammock, the newest one looked intriging but I would like to see it at a show sometime.  Perhaps in a backyard setting it might work.

                      No need to put it down but let each pick and choose their preference.

                      Skylander
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 4, 2003
                        The Sleep Catcher company has just posted their hammock specs on
                        their web site: http://sleepcatcher.com/details.php

                        NO#1 MOSQUITO PROOF (for hot countries with bugs)
                        Weight: 2.5 pounds
                        Length: 7 ft (sleep room)
                        Height: 3.5 ft
                        Max capacity: 300 pounds
                        Tree circumference: 60 200 inches (recommended)
                        Tree distance apart: 12 18 ft
                        Color: black (base, webbing, string & crank) dark blue (rain cover)
                        Material: Webbing, Cordura, Nylon (with polyurethane undercoat)
                        Special features: crank & weight distribution system.

                        Dealer price: $70 Retail: $105.95

                        NO#2 DETACHABLE RAIN COVER (for hot countries without bugs)
                        Weight: 4 pounds
                        Length: 7 ft (sleep room)
                        Height: 2.5 3.5 ft (adjustable)
                        Max capacity: 300 pounds
                        Tree circumference: 60 200 inches (recommended)
                        Tree distance apart: 12 24 ft
                        Color: black (base, webbing, string & crank) dark blue (rain cover)
                        Material: Webbing, Cordura, Nylon (with polyurethane undercoat)
                        Special features: crank & weight distribution system.

                        Dealer price: $70 Retail: $105.95

                        Looks like the hammock is available with either a bug net or a rain
                        canopy, but not both? If that's the case, it dosen't meet my
                        definition of a camping hammock...Ed