Re: staying warm - noses

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 25, 2003
      I hate having a cold nose and since I have asthmas it helps me to
      breathe if the air entering my body is warmer. When I'm sleeping in
      the cold I wear a baclava pulled down over my eyes and nose. It
      works great to warm my nose plus I don't hear as many sounds and I'm
      not bothered by the sun coming up.

      jamie in az

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
        I use a 'neck gaiter' made by Columbia that fits kinda loose. I'm
        thinking that it is made out of 'non-windblocking' fleece. When I am
        sleeping, I can pull it over my face and nose on those really cold
        nights. It has a pretty good combination of breathablity and
        comfort. I find that it also helps in sealing off any air gap at my
        neck & shoulders-- it adds an amazing amount of warmth for its 2 or
        so ounces of weight. It works very well in combination with my
        GoLite fleece cap. The cap can roll down to cover my ears and also
        roll down to cover my eyes for those rare occassions when the moon is
        so bright that it impedes my sleeping. I have had very good results
        with this combination.

        When I am hiking in cool, windy conditions I will sometimes use my
        bandana as a face mask. It is not as warm as the 'neck gaiter' but
        it often is warm enough; it also is easy to just pull it down to my
        neck & off my face when I am out of the wind and it is becomes too
        warm to comfortably wear it over my face. I often find myself
        pulling it up over my face and then back down around my neck as the
        conditions change.

        Youngblood

        > I hate having a cold nose and since I have asthmas it helps me to
        > breathe if the air entering my body is warmer. When I'm sleeping
        in
        > the cold I wear a baclava pulled down over my eyes and nose. It
        > works great to warm my nose plus I don't hear as many sounds and
        I'm
        > not bothered by the sun coming up.
        >
        > jamie in az
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Last year at the PA Ruck I stayed in my hammock. I don't remember
        > > how cold it got. Anybody else remember? I stayed plenty warm
        > > in my hammock, but my nose got cold! I'm not sure I remember
        > > that happening in a tent, but then I'm not sure I've ever tented
        > that
        > > cold. It was crunchy snow cold. I have a vague recollection that
        > > it got down to 5 degrees. Maybe it was 15. I dunno.
        > >
        > > Anyway, Delee told me to put a sleeve over my nose. I thought
        > > it would be too stuffy, but in fact it worked great. It warmed
        up
        > the
        > > air without suffocating me.
        > >
        > > -amy
        > >
        > > (P.S. - with all the gear I had in and around my hammock, the
        noise
        > > nearly drove Delee insane when I got out and then back in during
        > > the night.)
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
          Listers:

          I use one of these hoods:

          http://www.annatara.com/hothood.htm

          It's flexible and adjustable, and can be rigged to cover or
          expose almost all parts of your head. It also muffles night
          noises a little bit. Sometimes I like that, sometimes I'd
          rather hear.

          Bear
        • HopLite
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
            Perhaps mine is a silly question, but here goes: doesn't the condensation
            from your exhalation soak the bandanna/balaclava/scarf/sock you use to cover
            your nose? Doesn't that just drive you batty?

            Warm regards,
            HopLite

          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
              Bear's comment reminds me that I am beginning a test for BGT of the Psolar BX
              balaclava. One of the things I will be looking for is a reduction in the amount
              of dry nose and throat I have sleeping outside this time of year in the dry,
              cold air. I also will determine if my nose stays warm.

              The PSolar page is here:

              http://members.tripod.com/lrbagby/home2f.htm

              Risk

              Quoting Bear:

            • ra1@imrisk.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
                Quoting HopLite:

                > Perhaps mine is a silly question, but here goes: doesn't the condensation
                > from your exhalation soak the bandanna/balaclava/scarf/sock you use to cover
                > your nose?

                Short answer: counter current

                Longer answer: It moistens/warms the air I take into my lungs.

                Risk
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
                  Message
                  Sure anxious to hear how the Psolar works in the hammock Rick.  Do you have any comments/observations yet?  ...Ed

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
                    Well, soak may not be the right word. It does 'wet' them and
                    obviously cotton bandanas 'wet' more than the synthetic stuff. I
                    think that when I have used face covering it has been usually pretty
                    cold and/or windy and things evaporate and/or freeze up pretty
                    quickly. But you are right, there is wetness, but it is a tradeoff
                    between being warm and damp or being really cold.

                    Youngblood

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "HopLite" <hiker@t...> wrote:
                    > Perhaps mine is a silly question, but here goes: doesn't the
                    condensation
                    > from your exhalation soak the bandanna/balaclava/scarf/sock you use
                    to cover
                    > your nose? Doesn't that just drive you batty?
                    >
                    > Warm regards,
                    > HopLite
                    >

                    > chcoa writes:
                    >
                    > > I hate having a cold nose and since I have asthmas it helps me to
                    > > breathe if the air entering my body is warmer. When I'm sleeping
                    in
                    > > the cold I wear a baclava pulled down over my eyes and nose. It
                    > > works great to warm my nose plus I don't hear as many sounds and
                    I'm
                    > > not bothered by the sun coming up.
                    > >
                    > > jamie in az
                    > >
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Amy <askowronek@m...>
                    wrote:

                    > >> Last year at the PA Ruck I stayed in my hammock. I don't
                    remember
                    > >> how cold it got. Anybody else remember? I stayed plenty warm
                    > >> in my hammock, but my nose got cold! I'm not sure I remember
                    > >> that happening in a tent, but then I'm not sure I've ever tented
                    > > that
                    > >> cold. It was crunchy snow cold. I have a vague recollection
                    that
                    > >> it got down to 5 degrees. Maybe it was 15. I dunno.
                    > >>
                    > >> Anyway, Delee told me to put a sleeve over my nose. I thought
                    > >> it would be too stuffy, but in fact it worked great. It warmed
                    up
                    > > the
                    > >> air without suffocating me.
                    > >>
                    > >> -amy
                    > >>
                    > >> (P.S. - with all the gear I had in and around my hammock, the
                    noise
                    > >> nearly drove Delee insane when I got out and then back in during
                    > >> the night.)
                    > >

                    > > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor -------------------
                    --~-->
                    > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
                    Lexmark
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • ra1@imrisk.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
                      Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

                      > Sure anxious to hear how the Psolar works in the hammock Rick. Do you have
                      > any comments/observations yet? ...Ed

                      Not yet. Just got it in the mail 2 days ago. I will be writing my initial
                      review over the weekend, but it may not include any overnight experience.

                      I will get more experience with it during the winter and will report here when I
                      put a review up on BGT.

                      Rick
                    • ciyd01
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
                        Not silly at all. It hasn't really bothered me much and I prefer it
                        to having all that condensation in my sleeping bag/quilt. I have
                        found that fleece does a pretty good job of wicking moisture away
                        from my skin and it doesn't feel as wet as cotton does. YMMV

                        I am going to sew up one of those hot hood things out of some scrap
                        fleece I've got. They look great and the tension across the bridge
                        of my nose is adjustable.

                        ciyd

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "HopLite" <hiker@t...> wrote:
                        > Perhaps mine is a silly question, but here goes: doesn't the
                        condensation
                        > from your exhalation soak the bandanna/balaclava/scarf/sock you use
                        to cover
                        > your nose? Doesn't that just drive you batty?
                        >
                        > Warm regards,
                        > HopLite
                      • Thomas Peltier
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
                          Ifrom your exhalation soak the bandanna/balaclava/scarf/sock you use
                          to cover
                          > your nose? Doesn't that just drive you batty?

                          I have a silk balaclava from winter silks catalog I got many years ago.
                          I find that this is the perfect headpiece for me to sleep in. My heavy
                          balaclava really can bug me on my head but this one is much lighter and
                          does not seem to bother me much. Also when I pull it over my mouth and
                          nose the wet spot from breathing never seems to be a big problem. The
                          silk only dampens in one spot and when sleeping this is never an issue
                          for me. When I get up I usually hang it to dry for a few minutes and
                          I'm good to go.

                          Tom
                          Pura Vida
                        • chcoa
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 26, 2003
                            Hop,

                            My balaclava is fleece so it doesn't really absorb too much but more
                            importantly I don't pull it down over my mouth just to the end of my
                            nose. This keeps my nose warm but lets me breath. I could never
                            cover my mouth or all of my nose. With my asthma, I would die in my
                            sleep.

                            jamie in az