Re: [Hammock Camping] Recent cold weather trip and underquilt

  • upricon
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2003
      > Todd,
      >
      > Great story. I think you would be surprised how much warmer you
      will be
      > when you combine the underquilt technology and a pad. Before you
      make a
      > limit of 20 degrees, think about combining them.
      > upricon wrote:

      I have tried a number of pads and find that they really distract from
      the hammock experience. They make it hard to get in the hammock.
      They slide around and are hard to stay on top of and they collect
      condensation. The whole reason I went towards the underquilt was to
      eliminate the pad.

      > You talk about feet here. I find I have a problem when I press my
      feet
      > against the bottom of the foot box. I smash the down to a very
      scant
      > covering. I need to work hard to not pull the bag or quilt so it
      does
      > this. In addition, for really cold temperatures, I find Sealskinz
      socks
      > with fluffy lining socks help with insulation quite a bit.

      Next time I am bringing my vapor barrier socks and down booties.