RE: Hammock Camping Pee Bottle in Hammock

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
      Message
      Maybe you should cut back on the caffine a bit Shane...Ha Ha...Ed
      Ah!  Well then that makes sense.  I hop in and out of my hammock so fast
      that it's like getting in and out of bed, so I was wondering why some folks
      seemed so lazy about it.  I usually get up about 2:00 AM and stay up until
      about 3:00.  I have never figured out why, but it has been noted by others.
      (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/philosophy/thenight.htm)

      I have terrible insomnia anyway, but with a twist.  Either I lay down and
      pass out cold almost instantly, or I never sleep at all...

      I can also respect wanting to stay warm.  The cold can make everything
      unpleasant, and the north wind whistling through your crevice at 2 AM is
      pretty high on my list of things to avoid...

      Shane

    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 29, 2003
        > Maybe you should cut back on the caffeine a bit Shane...Ha > Ha...Ed

        Yeah, I get that advice a lot! Trouble is, I don't take any. I do
        sometimes smoke like a stack, but that's my only vice. I don't even drink
        Coke anymore...

        Shane
      • Susan Turner <HammockHanger@attbi.com>
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
          Yeah, the ole' pee jug. It is great on cold rainy nights, but let me
          tell you it is much trickier for me then for you!! I have mastered
          it though. (female :D) HH
        • debweisenstein <dweisens@aer.com>
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Turner
            <HammockHanger@a...>" <HammockHanger@a...> wrote:
            > Yeah, the ole' pee jug. It is great on cold rainy nights, but let me
            > tell you it is much trickier for me then for you!! I have mastered
            > it though. (female :D) HH

            Sue, are you giving lessons? I've had some success with a 1 gallon
            ziplock squatting under a tarp, but bottle in sleeping bag would be
            another matter.
          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
              Shane and Ed:

              Maybe it IS an age thing. I'm 53, myself. But it's probably
              also an expectation thing.

              At home, I can make it through the night without having to
              get up at all. In the woods, I have to get up two or three
              times when it's cold. Maybe I'm just expecting to be able to
              stay warm because I do at home.

              On the other hand... some of the most starkly breathtaking
              experiences of the beauty of nature have overwhelmed me at
              two in the morning after I've finally gotten up to take care
              of business.

              So maybe it's better to work on my expectations than my
              catheter system, and continue to reap the unexpected beauty
              of the night forest.

              Bear
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
                Message
                My hat's off to ya Sue!  You've just become 'The Master'....Ed
                Yeah, the ole' pee jug.  It is great on cold rainy nights, but let me
                tell you it is much trickier for me then for you!!  I have mastered
                it though. (female :D)  HH

              • Marge Prothman
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
                  Message
                  Sue,  it would have to be a very large wide mouth bottle for me to attain that feat, and then I would need to have my legs out of the hammock on the ground.  incidentally, on Backpackgeartest, some gals tested the "Travel Mate Urinary Product" you should read their reviews    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/   it is under Personal Hygiene on the front page.

                  Cheers,  Marge