Re: Hammock Camping Best gear to stay warm?

  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2003
      Ed

      From your next post it is obvious you are familiar with warmlight.

      CB

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr <starnescr@y...>"
      But if you are
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
        Message
        Coy Boy, that inflatable sleeping bag is called the Cocoon and it did cost about $1000--the most expensive piece of outdoor gear I ever owned.  But I hate the cold and I was working near the Arctic Circle in the winter time!  Actually it was for emergencies and was a business expense!

        The DAM is similar construction--both are custom-made from readily available materials and I'm thinking of adapting something similar for use as an under blanket for the hammock....Ed
        Ed

        I saw that inflatable tent last year (someone posted a link on BPL I
        think). If I remember it was over $1000.  If I were going to spend a
        lot of time in severe cold I believe I'd go with it.  I dont think
        there would be a lot of advantages to hanging it. But if you are
        interested in expeirmenting with something like this I would like to
        see a down air mattres built just for hammocks. You may have seen
        the D.A.M from warmlight.com. This may be the best solution plus it
        would work as a ground pad when needed. I would like to see a down
        air matress wider than normal but a sewn on top skinnier than
        normal.  The bottem pad would take care of the bottom and sides and
        the top would just cover the top of chest/legs. I'll bet it would be
        expensive to make though.

        Coy Boy

        > WOW, you have several great ideas here Bear.  I especially like
        the idea
        > of candles beneath the hammock for heat--I know that this
        technique is
        > used in cave exploration where underground camping is necessary.
        Cavers
        > have been using hammocks sourrounded by a plastic drop cloth tube-
        tent
        > with a single candle burning on the ground beneath the hammock for
        some
        > time.  But a cave envirnoment is mild temps (55-75F) w/ no wind (or
        > bugs); may not work as well outside.  BTW, I currently have a Speer
        > Hammock on just such a caving expedition in India right now.

        > I've been wanting to experiemnt w/ fabric side panels from hammock
        > the ground, like skirting around a mobil home, but haven't gotten
        around
        > to it yet.  This should work well--my pile of leaves under the
        hammock
        > this Fall worked great!

        > An inflatable hammock?  I've been thinking about this also.  I
        actually
        > have a very expensive inflatable sleeping bag that I bought a few
        years
        > ago for Arctic camping--It's like having a 4"-thick air mattress
        > completely around the body.  Very warm--down to -40F!  The inflated
        > tubes contain down, unlike the  heavy open-cell foam in ThermaRest
        pads,
        > to prevent air currents.  The entire setup weighs 8 lbs (but it all
        > serves as combo bivy, sleeping bag, sleep pad, and ground sheet).
        It
> [...]

        > just like any other piece of pad, lying there in the bottom.
        >
        > I think closed-cell foam pads are great, except for the
        > width. Either too narrow, or so wide you ruin them by
        > folding them to pack them around. I wish fleece was as good,
        > but for some reason I don't think it packs small enough.
        > Maybe because the pads get put outside my pack, but the
        > fleece suit doesn't.
        >
        > I also like the notion of non-compressible fabrics, like
        > fleece and wool. But their strength is their weakness.
        > Hooray! They don't compress! Darn! They don't compress!
        > Still, I'm going to try more experiments with a wool blanket
        > pad to replace the foam pad. At least I COULD wear that
        > around camp like a shawl. (But then of course, I should call
        > it a pad, to sustain the confusion.)
        >
        > I've dreamed about wearing a wet suit jacket. My diving
        > buddies tell me it's not a comfortable idea. Probably
        > wouldn't pack well either.
        >
        > Maybe I just need about four chunks of 1 x 2 foot 1/2-inch
        > evazote to position between me and the hammock as I roll
        > around on cold nights.
        >
        > I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'd like to
        > make a cloth cover that's like my Mountain Hardwear
        > BackCounty, but has wings. that way I could fold the
        > shoulder/torso wing parts and roll it all up neatly. Or even
        > take the pads out and roll them flat. I'd make the cover
        > accept one or two thicknesses of main pads, so I could
        > tailor the pad thickness to the weather.
        >
        > Slickery on the bottom and grabby on the top. I don't know
        > why, but it works, even in an HH.
        >
        > I also really do wonder about circulating the warm air that
        > floats above my torso down to the bottom of my Pea Pod. Not
        > quite the VW exchanger umbilical cord, but maybe an actual
        > chunk of drier pipe with a battery powered fan. Well...
        > maybe.
        >
        > And maybe dropping non-flammable skirts to the ground and
        > putting a row of six votive candles under my hammock.
        >
        > I'm also thinking about taking a second look at ThermaRest
        > pads. When I look at my winter pack, then (later) look at my
        > hammock and bag and puffy clothes, it really hits home how
        > much insulation is about volume. So adding the volume by
        > inflating a pad seems good. I don't have to pack and haul
        > the air.
        >
        > Maybe a sealed silnylon under-hammock that gets inflated
        > after hanging?
        >
        > And about the under-hammock. The idea of making a simple one
        > appeals to me, because I could stuff whatever I wanted
        > between my butt and the under-hammock, but still be able to
        > position it easily when I'm in the hammock. I think Ed does
        > that with his Pea Pod some times.
        >
        > In this same vein, the Garling insulation system seems
        > really promising, especially as it can work with simple and
        > complex hammocks.
        >
        > In summary, the best I've actually found so far:
        >
        > HH - Mountain Hardwear BackCountry with quilt
        > Simple - Speer Pea Pod plus various closed or combination

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2861420.4212388.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1
        705

        065843:HM/A=1394045/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HG
        TV_