Re: Hammock Camping Best gear to stay warm?

  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2003
      Ed

      I saw that inflatable tent last year (someone posted a link on BPL I
      think). If I remember it was over $1000. If I were going to spend a
      lot of time in severe cold I believe I'd go with it. I dont think
      there would be a lot of advantages to hanging it. But if you are
      interested in expeirmenting with something like this I would like to
      see a down air mattres built just for hammocks. You may have seen
      the D.A.M from warmlight.com. This may be the best solution plus it
      would work as a ground pad when needed. I would like to see a down
      air matress wider than normal but a sewn on top skinnier than
      normal. The bottem pad would take care of the bottom and sides and
      the top would just cover the top of chest/legs. I'll bet it would be
      expensive to make though.

      Coy Boy

      > WOW, you have several great ideas here Bear. I especially like
      the idea
      > of candles beneath the hammock for heat--I know that this
      technique is
      > used in cave exploration where underground camping is necessary.
      Cavers
      > have been using hammocks sourrounded by a plastic drop cloth tube-
      tent
      > with a single candle burning on the ground beneath the hammock for
      some
      > time. But a cave envirnoment is mild temps (55-75F) w/ no wind (or
      > bugs); may not work as well outside. BTW, I currently have a Speer
      > Hammock on just such a caving expedition in India right now.
      >
      > I've been wanting to experiemnt w/ fabric side panels from hammock
      > the ground, like skirting around a mobil home, but haven't gotten
      around
      > to it yet. This should work well--my pile of leaves under the
      hammock
      > this Fall worked great!
      >
      > An inflatable hammock? I've been thinking about this also. I
      actually
      > have a very expensive inflatable sleeping bag that I bought a few
      years
      > ago for Arctic camping--It's like having a 4"-thick air mattress
      > completely around the body. Very warm--down to -40F! The inflated
      > tubes contain down, unlike the heavy open-cell foam in ThermaRest
      pads,
      > to prevent air currents. The entire setup weighs 8 lbs (but it all
      > serves as combo bivy, sleeping bag, sleep pad, and ground sheet).
      It
> [...]
      > just like any other piece of pad, lying there in the bottom.
      >
      > I think closed-cell foam pads are great, except for the
      > width. Either too narrow, or so wide you ruin them by
      > folding them to pack them around. I wish fleece was as good,
      > but for some reason I don't think it packs small enough.
      > Maybe because the pads get put outside my pack, but the
      > fleece suit doesn't.
      >
      > I also like the notion of non-compressible fabrics, like
      > fleece and wool. But their strength is their weakness.
      > Hooray! They don't compress! Darn! They don't compress!
      > Still, I'm going to try more experiments with a wool blanket
      > pad to replace the foam pad. At least I COULD wear that
      > around camp like a shawl. (But then of course, I should call
      > it a pad, to sustain the confusion.)
      >
      > I've dreamed about wearing a wet suit jacket. My diving
      > buddies tell me it's not a comfortable idea. Probably
      > wouldn't pack well either.
      >
      > Maybe I just need about four chunks of 1 x 2 foot 1/2-inch
      > evazote to position between me and the hammock as I roll
      > around on cold nights.
      >
      > I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'd like to
      > make a cloth cover that's like my Mountain Hardwear
      > BackCounty, but has wings. that way I could fold the
      > shoulder/torso wing parts and roll it all up neatly. Or even
      > take the pads out and roll them flat. I'd make the cover
      > accept one or two thicknesses of main pads, so I could
      > tailor the pad thickness to the weather.
      >
      > Slickery on the bottom and grabby on the top. I don't know
      > why, but it works, even in an HH.
      >
      > I also really do wonder about circulating the warm air that
      > floats above my torso down to the bottom of my Pea Pod. Not
      > quite the VW exchanger umbilical cord, but maybe an actual
      > chunk of drier pipe with a battery powered fan. Well...
      > maybe.
      >
      > And maybe dropping non-flammable skirts to the ground and
      > putting a row of six votive candles under my hammock.
      >
      > I'm also thinking about taking a second look at ThermaRest
      > pads. When I look at my winter pack, then (later) look at my
      > hammock and bag and puffy clothes, it really hits home how
      > much insulation is about volume. So adding the volume by
      > inflating a pad seems good. I don't have to pack and haul
      > the air.
      >
      > Maybe a sealed silnylon under-hammock that gets inflated
      > after hanging?
      >
      > And about the under-hammock. The idea of making a simple one
      > appeals to me, because I could stuff whatever I wanted
      > between my butt and the under-hammock, but still be able to
      > position it easily when I'm in the hammock. I think Ed does
      > that with his Pea Pod some times.
      >
      > In this same vein, the Garling insulation system seems
      > really promising, especially as it can work with simple and
      > complex hammocks.
      >
      > In summary, the best I've actually found so far:
      >
      > HH - Mountain Hardwear BackCountry with quilt
      > Simple - Speer Pea Pod plus various closed or combination

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2861420.4212388.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1
      705

      065843:HM/A=1394045/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HG
      TV_

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2003
        Ed

        From your next post it is obvious you are familiar with warmlight.

        CB

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr <starnescr@y...>"
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
          Message
          Coy Boy, that inflatable sleeping bag is called the Cocoon and it did cost about $1000--the most expensive piece of outdoor gear I ever owned.  But I hate the cold and I was working near the Arctic Circle in the winter time!  Actually it was for emergencies and was a business expense!

          The DAM is similar construction--both are custom-made from readily available materials and I'm thinking of adapting something similar for use as an under blanket for the hammock....Ed