RE: Hammock Camping Re: Your Coldest Temperature?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 29, 2003
      Message

      That's about my coldest too Coy Boy.  Except I have many testing pads that I keep close at hand when in the back yard and switch them out as needed, so I'm generally not restricted to a single setup.  Lately, I've just been using my  3"-thick down-filled air mat from Warmlite---it's toasty warm even at 15*, probably will be good to -10* or -20*.  It weighs only 1.5 lbs, which is equivalent to 2 or 3 foam pads used in combo for similar temps.  Of course I always use my PeaPod at 0.8" thickness....Ed
      Last year I used my Reflectic/fleece pad to 16 deg.  I made it
      through the night but was getting pretty cold before morning.  My
      pad weighs about 2 lbs (I foget exactly but did weigh it one time)
      and is 40 inches wide at the top. This goes down to about my hips,
      then tapers to 22 inches at my feet.  It is actually wider than I
      need but I hand sewed the fleece and if i cut it down I'd have to
      resew the fleece top. It is bulky to pack but I cary it outside my
      pack.  I was wearing a 200 wt fleece jacket, sweatpants, a boggan,
      and thick socks. I used my 0 deg bag like a quilt with my feet
      inside the lower part.

      I still want to try an underneath quilt but I'm still not sure my
      sewing will be good enough. I may just throw something together and
      if it works worry about a quality quilt.

      Coy Boy

    • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2003
        As I tell my scouts, you're not really cold if you're letting any of
        your clothes sleep in your pack.

        Jim
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"