Re: [Hammock Camping] Digest Number 330

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003
      A fast caveat on the bathtub anti slip stick ons-

      Some of them are "sanded" and very abrasive.  Be selective about what surface they will rub against, or check out the stickers before applying.

      Rosaleen

      From: "gtvlfed" <jneale@...>
      Subject: Re: slip-slidin' away

      This might be old news for many of the wise-ones in the group...

      I sent a note to Cascade Designs (the Therm-a-rest folks) asking if
      they could recommend a substance that could be applied to their pad to
      prevent slippage.

      They replied:
      We no longer make any kind of spray-on anti-slip fixatives, but we've
      been recommending to folks with this problem to try the adhesive bathtub
      stick-ons.  Rumor has it that they work pretty well!

      Anyone tried this one yet?

      Jim

    • rosaleen43@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hoplite-

        I'm glad that you went into specifics about what seems to be keeping you awake.  If it is flapping noise, I also attach the elastic pullout cord from the sides on my Hennessy to the fly, and attach the stake in between somewhere.  Then i use my hiking poles to raise the fly as desired.  I haven't tried putting a stake on the end of the cord...hmmm.  I wonder if a found stick would do for the weight?

        A suggestion from Tom Hennessy was to make a couple of small silnylon bags, I'd maybe go with net, and attach the bags to the side corners of the fly.  Then put some stones into the bags.

        Other sleep aids-
        diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
        pain relievers, like Vit. I
        a (warm, maybe) light snack
        of course, the foam ear plugs
        Melatonin has some advocates.

        Good Luck,

        Rosaleen

        From: Hoplite <hiker@...>
        Subject: Hammocks versus light sleepers.

        So I'm a really light sleeper, even when I'm bushed from a long day's
        hike.  Aside from using earplugs, is there anything I can do to help
        ensure many counted sheep?  I guy out my fly and hammock very tightly,
        and even retighten the lines partway through the night, but the fly
        still flaps loudly (enough to wake me at least) at the slightest
        breeze.  IIRC, spectra cord does not become slack like nylon line.  Is
        Spectra appropriate for this application?  Any other suggestions?

        Warm regards,
        HopLite

      • Hoplite
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22, 2003
          If the fly is weighted down by sticks or rock pockets, this necessarily
          minimizes ventilation, right?

          rosaleen43@... wrote:

          >Hoplite-
          >
          >I'm glad that you went into specifics about what seems to be keeping you
          >awake. If it is flapping noise, I also attach the elastic pullout cord from the
          >sides on my Hennessy to the fly, and attach the stake in between somewhere.
          >Then i use my hiking poles to raise the fly as desired. I haven't tried putting
          >a stake on the end of the cord...hmmm. I wonder if a found stick would do
          >for the weight?
          >
          >A suggestion from Tom Hennessy was to make a couple of small silnylon bags,
          >I'd maybe go with net, and attach the bags to the side corners of the fly.
          >Then put some stones into the bags.
          >
          >Other sleep aids-
          >diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
          >pain relievers, like Vit. I
          >a (warm, maybe) light snack
          >of course, the foam ear plugs
          >Melatonin has some advocates.
          >
          >Good Luck,
          >
          >Rosaleen
          >

          >>From: Hoplite <hiker@...>
          >>Subject: Hammocks versus light sleepers.
          >>
          >>So I'm a really light sleeper, even when I'm bushed from a long day's
          >>hike. Aside from using earplugs, is there anything I can do to help
          >>ensure many counted sheep? I guy out my fly and hammock very tightly,
          >>and even retighten the lines partway through the night, but the fly
          >>still flaps loudly (enough to wake me at least) at the slightest
          >>breeze. IIRC, spectra cord does not become slack like nylon line. Is
          >>Spectra appropriate for this application? Any other suggestions?
          >>
          >>Warm regards,
          >>HopLite

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2003
            Hoplite

            When it's windy enough to need weight to minamize fly flapping
            ventalation shouldnt be a problem. In fact you would probably wish
            for less ventilation under these conditions as it is hard enough to
            keep warm on real windy nights. Condensation is almost a non issue
            with a hammock no mater how much you lower the fly. That has been
            my experiences at least.

            Coy Boy

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 27, 2003
              Hoplite-

              It will depend on how heavy your "pockets of rock" are.  If you have enough to just minimize flap while you still have an air gap, you will have some ventilation.  You should still have some via the long ends, at any rate.

              From: Hoplite <hiker@...>
              Subject: reducing fly flap

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 2003
                Hoplite-

                Sorry for the delay.  This computer lost its phone connection for a few days.  Now that it is working, I found this unsent response:

                From: Hoplite <hiker@...>