good or bad timing and trip plan

  • subypower
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 15, 2003
      well lets just say spraining my knee and minorly tearing a ligament,
      and 2 days off work i got my under quilt done. it is for my hennessy
      and is 3/4 lenght with 6 ozs of FF floor down in it, with about 4
      inches of loft.

      now for the bad part as some of you know there is a hangout on the 22
      and i am making it a 4 day 3 night trip for my self, so i still plan
      on doing the trip but with less milage.

      report on the under quilt, slept in the back yard with the under
      quilt, 0 degree bad as quilt, standard cotton socks, sweat pants,
      polypro top and fleece hat i was quite warm. temps got to 35 or so
      degrees, i did not use a pad of any kind. so i know with more clothes
      and a pad 20 degrees would be a piece of cake, lets hope the temp
      takes a dive to 20 one night so i can test it. the weather forcast is
      for 40 degrees in Greenville, SC. forty miles away and not in the
      mountains so 20 degrees is a very good possiblty.

      i have a choice of starting out at the falls and hiking down to the
      gathering on saturday, or parking and hiking to the falls, but either
      way i would need a ride to my car or from the falls to my car on
      saturday. either way it is a 12 to 15 mile hike on a bad knee ( not
      so bad by then i hope ). so if anyone is driving by the upper white
      water falls visitor area can you let me know so i can figure out
      which way to hike.

      thanks

      white knight
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 15, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "subypower" <a9144me@a...> wrote:
        > well lets just say spraining my knee and minorly tearing a ligament,
        > and 2 days off work i got my under quilt done. it is for my hennessy
        > and is 3/4 lenght with 6 ozs of FF floor down in it, with about 4
        > inches of loft.

        White Knight,

        I am ordering 12-18 oz of FF floor down to work on my underquilt over the holiday
        break. Im curious of what you though of the quality and mix of the down.

        How did you measure and fill your quilt? Just looking for any hints I can get before I
        get started.

        Thanks,

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 15, 2003
          > I am ordering 12-18 oz of FF floor down to work on my underquilt
          over the holiday
          > break. Im curious of what you though of the quality and mix of the
          down.

          When I talked to the chap at FF, he said that the down comes in
          pillows but will need to be washed. It is a mix of 700, 750, and 800
          fp, depending on what they were manufacturing at the time. It is
          swept up off the floor at the end of the day, so it is dusty and I
          have heard some people say that there are bits of thread and fabric
          mixed in. It is floor sweepings after all. I've also heard that the
          pillows come packed pretty full and that washing the down in the
          pillow is difficult because the down in the center of the pillow
          doesn't get wet.

          I'll be getting some down over the winter and plan to wash the down
          first.

          Good luck,
          ciyd
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 15, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
            > I'll be getting some down over the winter and plan to wash the down
            > first.
            >
            > Good luck,
            > ciyd

            So washing is as "simple" as putting it in a pillow case and throwing it into the
            washer/dryer?

            Are you planning on getting it from FF too?

            The stuff at thru-hiker is like 2x the cost from FF, but then, it does guarentee 800+
            fill power and probably comes clean too.

            Shane "mirage"...
          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 15, 2003
              > So washing is as "simple" as putting it in a pillow case and
              throwing it into the
              > washer/dryer?

              Yes, but I'll probably sew up a simple pillow case and split the down
              from one FF pillow into two so that the soap and water get all
              through the down. I'd recommend using Tek wash's Down wash for this.

              > Are you planning on getting it from FF too?

              Yep. They're local, so I can just go to the factory and pick it up
              there.

              > The stuff at thru-hiker is like 2x the cost from FF, but then, it
              does guarentee 800+
              > fill power and probably comes clean too.

              True, but the FF is 700+, half the cost and only requires me to run
              it through the washer. I'm cheap, I guess.

              ciyd
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 15, 2003
                cyid

                I wonder if you could rig up a fan and blow the down away from the
                dirt, strings etc. The down should take very little force to blow
                it away from the offending matter. I would tape some cardboard boxes
                together to form a long tunnel open at both ends, say 10 or more
                feet long and place the down at the front of the tunnel and put some
                netting at the other end of the tunnel (over the open end). Place
                a fan in front of the open end of the tunnel of boxes and let it
                blow the down to the other end. Carefull seperat the boxes at a
                point where the clean down seems seperated from any trash. As a
                bonus the highest lofting down should be the furtherest down the
                line.

                Coy Boy

                -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                > > So washing is as "simple" as putting it in a pillow case and
                > throwing it into the
                > > washer/dryer?
                >
                > Yes, but I'll probably sew up a simple pillow case and split the
                down
                > from one FF pillow into two so that the soap and water get all
                > through the down. I'd recommend using Tek wash's Down wash for
                this.

                > > Are you planning on getting it from FF too?
                >
                > Yep. They're local, so I can just go to the factory and pick it
                up
                > there.
                >
                > > The stuff at thru-hiker is like 2x the cost from FF, but then,
                it
                > does guarentee 800+
                > > fill power and probably comes clean too.
                >
                > True, but the FF is 700+, half the cost and only requires me to
                run
                > it through the washer. I'm cheap, I guess.
                >
                > ciyd
              • subypower
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 15, 2003
                  well i took the pillow from FF and put it in a pillow case secured
                  with a zip tie, oh i cut the pillow from FF open first. then washed
                  it, and i had no problems with it it lofted right up, and i got about
                  5 pillow cases worth of down out of it.

                  i did not measure just over filled every section of the under quilt
                  the same except the 2 ends i made very firm so it would not billow
                  out in the wind i probably could have gotton away with 4 oz of down
                  but i dont trust an exact fill. all done by feel and they turned out
                  very close.

                  and trust me use the vacuum cleaner method of transfering the down, i
                  did not loose much down at all, but what did get out was fun to watch
                  the dogs chase.

                  white knight
                • amy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 16, 2003
                    On Saturday, November 15, 2003, at 01:01 PM, subypower wrote:

                    > well lets just say spraining my knee and minorly tearing a ligament,
                    > and 2 days off work i got my under quilt done. it is for my hennessy
                    > and is 3/4 lenght with 6 ozs of FF floor down in it, with about 4
                    > inches of loft.

                    Could you take a picture of it? I'd like to see it.

                    Why'd you make it 3/4 length? Aren't you worried about cold feet
                    and/or head?

                    -amy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 16, 2003
                      Message
                      White Knight, the drive to the Falls from our trailhead is less than 10 miles--will be glad to shuttle you mid am on Saturday, before our hike departs at noon.  Also, I've hitched on that road before without any problem--wearing your pack and putting your thumb out will probably work fine on the paved roads....Ed

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 16, 2003

                        > Could you take a picture of it? I'd like to see it.
                        >
                        > Why'd you make it 3/4 length? Aren't you worried about cold feet
                        > and/or head?
                        >
                        > -amy

                        why 3/4 length... thats easy so it is not as hard to deal with the
                        entry slot on the hennessey. and it goes from the top on my head to
                        my knees. yes i am a little worried about cold feet but at 35 degrees
                        my feet where sweating in regular cotton socks.

                        i also made the head end ties out of stripped para cord so they are
                        fixed length to keep it where i want it as well as they are
                        removable. the foot end shock cord is also removable. the reason
                        behind this is for summer cammping i can use it like a blanket and
                        not get tangled in the lines. i also just tied a loop in the support
                        line to tie them to... it is hard to forget a loop vrs a key ring or
                        other anchor point. all connection are done with knots, no toggles or
                        such to break or lose.

                        email my at a9144me@a... and i can email you some pics, i am not
                        web savy enough to post them anywhere.

                        white knight
                      • karens62@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 16, 2003
                          In a message dated 11/16/2003 5:09:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, a9144me@... writes:

                          email my at a9144me@a... and i can email you some pics, i am not
                          web savy enough to post them anywhere.

                          If you email themn to me, I will be happy o post them on the hammock camping website, if you want. Otherwise, have a great time! Is there anything we can bring you on Saturday?
                        • subypower
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 16, 2003
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, karens62@a... wrote:
                            >> bring you on Saturday?

                            nope just a new knee or good pain killers

                            white knight
                          • Mirage
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 17, 2003
                              wrote:
                              > and trust me use the vacuum cleaner method of transfering the
                              down, i
                              > did not loose much down at all, but what did get out was fun to
                              watch
                              > the dogs chase.
                              >
                              > white knight

                              Remind me again, what is the vacuum method again?

                              Shane "Mirage"...