Re: Hammock Camping Another Newbie

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
      > Welcome Dan, glad you found your way over here. Am interested in
      your
      > 'one-tree' and 'one-staff' set up--I've seen the design on Clark's
      web site,
      > but haven't had much success with it. Really only tried it once,
      but must
      > have had the wrong support pole. How do you make it work? We'd
      all be
      > interested--in fact, I'm collecting this kind of info for a
      newsletter
      > article on Alternate Hanging Methods.

      Ed,

      Here's an alternate method I've used before when I can't find
      suitable trees close enough, but there are some too far apart...

      Since I always carry a long (50') length of climbing rope with me,
      I'll take one end and tie it to one tree at the usuall hammock/tree-
      hugger height.

      I then tie a byte in the line about 10-12' from the first tree.

      Now tie one end of the hammock to this byte (loosely so it can be
      adjusted). Take the remaining, untied end of the rope and tie it as
      high up on the far away tree as you can (maybe looped over a branch).

      (first) tree. It will appear that the end tied to the byte is WAY
      to high, but as soon as you sit in the hammock, or test load it, you
      will see that the long line will strech and drop.

      It will take some playing with it to get the feel for how high to
      place the long end (far tree) and how tight to tie the hammock, but
      trust me, it does work, I've done it many times, if for no other
      reason than to get a better "site" for camp.

      I'll try to set one up at home this week and snap some pics to post.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
        Neat idea!

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
          Message
          That sounds like something I've also done a few times Shane--would like to see photos when you get the chance.  My trials did take a lot of adjusting, but it finally worked well.  All it takes is that extra length of line or rope...Ed

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
            Message

            This past weekend I did a four day, 3 night, 53 mile paddle trip down Bayou LaFourche, from Donaldsonville, LA to Lockport, LA. This was a supported trip, sponsored by a local non-profit group to promote awareness of the coastal erosion problem in Louisiana. I slept in my hammock all three nights. Then, after the trip, I went down to Grand Isle, LA and slept on the beach. The only place to maybe hang the hammock was a beach picnic shelter, but I was tired and not sure of my knots. I slept in a tent. AAAUUUGGH! I had a thick pad, but woke throughout the night. I am thinking is it not possible for me to carry enough padding to be comfortable in a tent, now that I have gotten used to hammock camping.

            At each of the 3 places we camped along the bayou, I found suitable trees.  HOWEVER, and I know this is an old topic….I had consistent problems with slippage. One night, between 2 pine trees, I was only about a foot above the ground. On one end, the straps were too short. On the other, they were too long. I like my hammock at chair height, and find this substantially frustrating. If any of you have the patience to address this topic, yet again, I would be grateful.

            But, I made some converts, as I do on every trip. All three nights, other people woke up the next morning, complaining about sleeping uncomfortably. I slept like dream 2 of the 3 nights, and the third night’s disturbance was caused by a ROOSTER who kept crowing because he was confused by the full moon. Sounds funny, unless you were there!

            Wish I could join you in South Carolina. My assistant just got called up. Army Reserves.

            Marsanne

          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
              > That sounds like something I've also done a few times Shane--would
              like to
              > see photos when you get the chance. My trials did take a lot of
              adjusting,
              > but it finally worked well. All it takes is that extra length of
              line or
              > rope...Ed

              Just posted a diagram of what I was describing. Probably easier to
              see what I mean than a photo would be anyway. It's under my
              folder "Mirage" in the photo section.

              Shane "Mirage"...
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
                > Just posted a diagram of what I was describing. Probably easier to
                > see what I mean than a photo would be anyway. It's under my
                > folder "Mirage" in the photo section.
                >
                > Shane "Mirage"...

                Excellent Shane--the diagram works! That's different than what I've
                used--really creative! I've tied the end of the rope back to the
                right-hand tree (higher limb), or to an overlying limb, or to a third
                tree rather than tying it to the left-hand tree (I never had enough
                rope). Your idea looks simpler and would easily solve the excessive
                sag I've experienced. An excellent solution for trees too far apart
                for the normal setup. Thanks for sharing Shane....Ed
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
                  Just to be clear, the set up I just tested had the end of the right side right at the bottom of the tree and it was still stable.

                  Rick

                  Ed Speer wrote:
                  Just posted a diagram of what I was describing.  Probably easier to
                  see what I mean than a photo would be anyway.  It's under my
                  folder "Mirage" in the photo section.

                  Shane "Mirage"...

                  Excellent Shane--the diagram works!  That's different than what I've
                  used--really creative!  I've tied the end of the rope back to the
                  right-hand tree (higher limb), or to an overlying limb, or to a third
                  tree rather than tying it to the left-hand tree (I never had enough
                  rope).  Your idea looks simpler and would easily solve the excessive
                  sag I've experienced.  An excellent solution for trees too far apart
                  for the normal setup.  Thanks for sharing Shane....Ed

                  http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/z1TolB/TM

                • robi dawson
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
                    Shane,

                    that's cool, i had misread/understood your description. i was expecting the rope to be perpendicular to the hammock, but that would need three trees and you did not even mention three...

                    now a system like that would have come in handy on the bike tour last summer when i ended up on th ground so 4 kids could squeeze their hammocks between two trees close enough. there was a third tree too far away, i could have hung there and slept soundly.

                    time to by a chunk o rope!

                    robi

                     At 01:43 AM 11/12/03 +0000, you wrote:
                    > That sounds like something I've also done a few times Shane--would
                    like to
                    > see photos when you get the chance.  My trials did take a lot of
                    adjusting,
                    > but it finally worked well.  All it takes is that extra length of
                    line or
                    > rope...Ed

                    Just posted a diagram of what I was describing.  Probably easier to
                    see what I mean than a photo would be anyway.  It's under my
                    folder "Mirage" in the photo section.

                    Shane "Mirage"...

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    2168ed.jpg
                    2169d3.jpg

                  • rosaleen43@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 12, 2003
                      Marsanne-

                      Sorry, it looks like I picked up your post to answer and didn't actually do so.  OOPS!

                      I have hung my hammock on the 4x4" posts of food pavillion/shelters.  It's been a while, but I probably wrapped the tree hugger straps in a "clove hitch" to anchor the hanging ropes.

                      For most slippery trees, I usually have good luck with the clove hitch, OR one wrap with an overhand knot, then wrap excess tree hugger around the part that is wrapped around the tree so that I have just two tabs for the rope to pass through.  get you hammock hung, then fold the body in half and sit in it.  If the web straps slip, slide them back up higher and try again.  Usually you will find a point that the angle the staps and rope hang seem to just hold.

                      I recently heard from Sgt. Rock.  Those eucalyptus trees look like the bark has been sanded off.  He is playing with different ways to make his hammock straps stay put.  I think I'll send him some scraps of the good old rubber-waffle-grippy shelf liner.  Maybe a couple of strips of that will help on smooth bark trees!  If I can find suitable birch trees, I may try it here.  They are about as smooth as I notice as far as tree bark goes around here.

                      For trees that are too big in diameter, just lace the hanging rope between the strap loops, but slip in one or more small found pieces of wood as stand offs.  It will keep the rope from girdling the tree (partially), and let your fingers get the rope between the tree and the rope to tie it off.

                      Cheers!

                      Rosaleen

                      From: "firefly" <firefly@...>
                      >Subject: TripReport:Louisiana

                      The only place to maybe hang the hammock was a beach picnic shelter,

                      >but I was tired and not sure of my knots.

                      >At each of the 3 places we camped along the bayou, I found suitable trees.

                      >HOWEVER, and I know this is an old topic....I had consistent problems with
                      >slippage. One night, between 2 pine trees, I was only about a foot above the
                      >ground. On one end, the straps were too short. On the other, they were too
                      >long.

                      >Wish I could join you in South Carolina. My assistant just got called up.
                      >Army Reserves.
                      >
                      >Marsanne

                      Good Luck to your assistant!

                      Rosaleen

                    • firefly

                        From: "firefly" <firefly@...>

                        >Subject: TripReport:Louisiana

                        The only place to maybe hang the hammock was a beach picnic shelter,

                        >but I was tired and not sure of my knots.
                        color=black face=Arial>

                        >At each of the 3 places we camped along the bayou, I found suitable trees.
                        style='mso-special-character:line-break'>

                        >HOWEVER, and I know this is an old topic....I had consistent problems with
                        >slippage. One night, between 2 pine trees, I was only about a foot above
                        the
                        >ground. On one end, the straps were too short. On the other, they were too
                        >long.
                        style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:black;mso-color-alt:windowtext'>

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 13, 2003
                          > When I am tired I have a hard time remembering knots. I think I am
                          going to
                          > print them off the internet and laminate them and place a bunch of
                          copies
                          > around in all my camping gear stashes.

                          Speaking of laminating...

                          I was thinking the other day that one way to reduce weight and make
                          my multi-function would be to find some way to "print" maps, tips
                          (like knots) and/or first-aid info onto my poncho or tarp.

                          Anyone ever hear of a way to do this or seen it done. I'm wondering
                          if printing maps onto that iron on transfer paper and then applying
                          it to a tarp or poncho would work. The heat from the iron would not
                          be good for sure, so how would one go about doing this?

                          I can just imagine a good classic book printed on the underside of
                          the tarp so I can read it when I'm just "hanging" out.

                          Shane "Mirage"...
                        • Hoplite
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 13, 2003
                            My experience with those iron transfer papers is that they're not
                            durable at all. After a few washings (translate to stuffings in your
                            pack) the transfer begins to deteriorate and flake off. Of course, I
                            have the sartorial skills of a log, so don't take my testimony as
                            gospel. Couldn't hurt to experiment with it!

                            Warm regards,
                            HopLite

                          • rosaleen43@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 13, 2003
                              OK, Marsanne-

                              This just settles it.  You now HAVE to get that job in NYC after your current job ends.  Then we will have to meet somewhere in between NYC and Boston and have a hammock fest/gear chat/knot lesson.  I'm sure we can find others to join in.

                              Rosaleen

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 14, 2003
                                HI, Kim!

                                Well, right now my travel and vaca budget is tied up in spending two weeks at or near my parents' home in Sarasota. I hope to get a short backpacking trip in during that time. Can you make Florida?

                                OK, Marsanne-

                                This just settles it.  You now HAVE to get that job in NYC after your current job ends.  Then we will have to meet somewhere in between NYC and Boston and have a hammock fest/gear chat/knot lesson.  I'm sure we can find others to join in.

                                Rosaleen

                                I have an even better idea. Since there are at least 2 of us in LA. Why don't you make a trip to LA (stay at my house) and help out both of us. I'm sure we can find more people! :)
                              • Debby Sherman
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 14, 2003
                                  Nah, I think you should come to North Carlina where things are happening politically and we could use you twice.  Once for the State of Things, then twice to hike with me and the other hikers in the area.  Liteshoe and Mother Goose.
                                  We can get the knot thing down together, too.
                                  Debby

                                  rosaleen43@... wrote:
                                  HI, Kim!

                                  OK, Marsanne-

                                  This just settles it.  You now HAVE to get that job in NYC after your current job ends.  Then we will have to meet somewhere in between NYC and Boston and have a hammock fest/gear chat/knot lesson.  I'm sure we can find others to join in.

                                  Rosaleen

                                  I have an even better idea. Since there are at least 2 of us in LA. Why don't you make a trip to LA (stay at my house) and help out both of us. I'm sure we can find more people! :)

                                  Do you Yahoo!?
                                • Bill Fornshell
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 14, 2003
                                    Hi, So you want her down there so you can help her
                                    "tie the knot"? This is getting interesting.

                                    --- Debby Sherman <debbyfick187@...> wrote:
                                    > Nah, I think you should come to North Carlina where
                                    > things are happening politically and we could use
                                    > you twice. Once for the State of Things, then twice
                                    > to hike with me and the other hikers in the area.
                                    > Liteshoe and Mother Goose.
                                    > We can get the knot thing down together, too.
                                    > Debby
                                    >
                                    > rosaleen43@... wrote:
                                    > HI, Kim!
                                    >
                                    > OK, Marsanne-
                                    >
                                    > This just settles it. You now HAVE to get that job
                                    > in NYC after your current job ends. Then we will
                                    > have to meet somewhere in between NYC and Boston and
                                    > have a hammock fest/gear chat/knot lesson. I'm sure
                                    > we can find others to join in.
                                    >
                                    > Rosaleen
                                    >
                                    > I have an even better idea. Since there are at least
                                    > 2 of us in LA. Why don't you make a trip to LA (stay
                                    > at my house) and help out both of us. I'm sure we
                                    > can find more people! :)
                                    >
                                    > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                    > Terms of Service.

                                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                                  • canoetrip_2000
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 14, 2003
                                      It's nice to have people fighting over me. Any of you folks in PR? I
                                      still have not found a job, may have to resort to politics again...
                                      PRESS SECRETARY FOR HIRE. Does not like either right or left wing
                                      extremists. Very silly, fun, loves the outdoors, dogs, children.
                                      Impatient, idealistic, loyal, energetic, direct instead of being a
                                      spin-meister. Hates hot weather. LOVES wine. Hikes fast, paddles
                                      fast, sleeps well, has a clear conscience. THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION
                                      FOR A DATE, YOU SICKOS! LOLOLOLOL!
                                      Marsanne (who has turned down several jobs already but is being picky)

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 14, 2003
                                        OOPS!!!
                                        Not that not!  I meant the knot that she's not knotting.
                                        I tied the other knot 30 years ago, and it's still going strong.
                                        Debby...........?
                                        Yeah, I've been lurking for a while.

                                        Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                                        Hi, So you want her down there so you can help her
                                        "tie the knot"?  This is getting interesting.

                                          --- Debby Sherman <debbyfick187@...> wrote:
                                        > Nah, I think you should come to North Carlina where
                                        > things are happening politically and we could use
                                        > you twice.  Once for the State of Things, then twice
                                        > to hike with me and the other hikers in the area.
                                        > Liteshoe and Mother Goose.
                                        > We can get the knot thing down together, too.
                                        > Debby
                                        >
                                        > rosaleen43@... wrote:
                                        > HI, Kim!
                                        >
                                        > OK, Marsanne-
                                        >
                                        > This just settles it.  You now HAVE to get that job
                                        > in NYC after your current job ends.  Then we will
                                        > have to meet somewhere in between NYC and Boston and
                                        > have a hammock fest/gear chat/knot lesson.  I'm sure
                                        > we can find others to join in.
                                        >
                                        > Rosaleen
                                        >
                                        > I have an even better idea. Since there are at least
                                        > 2 of us in LA. Why don't you make a trip to LA (stay
                                        > at my house) and help out both of us. I'm sure we
                                        > can find more people! :)
                                        >
                                        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                        > Terms of Service.

                                        Do you Yahoo!?

                                      • Bill Fornshell
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 14, 2003
                                          Hi, So it took a "not" to get you out of Luking. I
                                          did good. Bill

                                          =====
                                          Bill Fornshell
                                          Founder and President