Quilt Update

  • Dennis Shubitowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2003
      Hey all -

      Just wanted to send in an untested update so far. In 3 season use, I have been using a GoLite Fuzz in my Hennessy Expedition Asym along with the Target pad. This quilt is based on Jardine's design and works very well for me. Basically it has two shoulder gussets and a dip at the neck so it snuggles around you. The bottom has about a 18 in zipper that can lie flat or zip up into a footbox. I have been looking at this quilt and realized it should work as well below me as above me in the hammock. There are two nylon loops on each shoulder gussett. I tied small elastic cord to each of these loop to tie around the suspension lines at the head and I used 4 Grip Clips for the rest - two grip clips went at the feet and the other two went to each side where the side pullouts are. I used the same elastic cord to rig the rest of these. The quilt draws up nicely to the curve of the hammock. I hopped in it briefly last night and really noticed a difference - the temp had to be in the low 30s at the time as it got down to around 20 F last night. I did not stay in it long enough for an evaluation but hope to try it out this weekend. The bulk factor is high because I would plan on using a Target pad inside the hammock along with my old 20F (yeah right) TNF synthetic sleeping bag as a quilt. Bulk would be seriously improved with a down quilt or sleeping bag for use inside the hammock. I'll keep ya'll updated. :)

      Dennis