Re: Hammock Camping Clothing or bag/quilt

  • alidisaster
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
      That's the *good* time of year to go walking in the Lakes!

      It is amazing how cold you can get in wet, sleety conditions - I've
      been in Vermont in Feb and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the
      Lakes in autumn. There is a reason why Goretex was invented here -
      because we needed it! Along with the Pertex/pile idea.

      There are usually places to hang, just off the top of the fells. Lots
      of pine plantations, little groups of trees just off the tops. Can
      be difficult sometimes, tho. I'd love to make a hammock that could
      be rigged as a tarp+integrated bivi for the times when there aren't
      any trees about.

      Don't get much camping done atm; too busy stocking up wood, looking
      after kids, doing jobs on my boat. I do have an idea for rigging a
      hammock on the roof, tho . . .

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
      > Hello, Alastair, I am delighted to know we have at least one "Brit"
      in the
      > group. I know about the English weather. I was there for 2 weeks in
      June,
      > 2002, around the time of the main Jubilee celebrations. I was in
      London for
      > a week and then went up and attempted Scafell Pike. Approximately
      300 feet
      > from the top, I was driven away by horizontal sleet. I was soaked
      through my
      > old Helly rain jacket, to the bone. Was worth it, though. I LOVE
      England,
      > have distant relatives there, am going back in 2005. I didn't see
      many
      > places to hang hammocks up in the fells (that's "hills" to us) but
      I am sure
      > there are many places elsewhere.
      > Marsanne
      >

      > All this talk of staying warm - in the UK the main prob is staying
      dry!