Re: Re: First-time hammocker cool-weather help/Marsanne read it, too

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
      Bunchberry-

      It looks more and more as if I shouldn't have short cut myself and should have written "flexible glue" as "glue that remains flexible when dry."  Looking specifically for glue that would be used on this space blanket project, I looked for a glue that would work on non-pourous surfaces, plastic, AND would remain flexible.  I don't know all the specifics of the mylar space blankets, but didn't want to chance melting the blanket enough to weaken the area of the bond.  The blanket would be rolled , stuffed, wrapped around the hammock, etc., so the glue bond had to be flexible.  Some glues are hard when dry, so that type would start a whole cascade of unwanted events in this sort of project.

      Too bad that you can't test your hammock in cold weather at home before thisweekend's trip.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      From: "sjsierra2002" <sjsierra@...>
      Subject: Re: First-time hammocker cool-weather help/Marsanne read it, too

      It's now calling for temps in the low 20s on Saturday night.  I had
      decided that if it was going to be more than 20 degrees below what I
      had previously experienced, I wouldn't use the hammock, so I think
      I'm going to go with the tarp and wait for warmer weather to try out
      the hammock.

      (snip)

      Thanks for the space blanket advice, Rosaleen -- I'll give it a try
      at some point.  For what it's worth, I've definitely found a space
      blanket to help while sleeping on the floor in shelters in cold
      weather, so I don't think the reflective surface is a total bunch of
      hoo-hah.  I'd expect it to help significantly between the sleeping
      pad and the hammock, and even more with your setup.

      One question for when I do try it out:  what is flexible glue?  Do
      you mean fabric glue, epoxy, what?  I bet silicone caulk or Silnett
      would stick to a space blanket.

      Bunchberry