Re: Hammock Camping parachute nylon (was Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
      Hi, I am real sure that the spinnaker ripstop is all
      coated. I just received some .5 (.64) spinnaker
      ripstop from a different place, cost a little more and
      it is coated. I am going to make a tarp out of it and
      see how it holds up. I also ordered some .5, .7 and
      .75 from the Kite Studio, they had more colors to pick
      from, and will get it Thursday. I am going to use it
      for tarps and pack bags. I think the .5 is the stuff
      that the GVP-5 is made out. The Kite Studio has a
      1-800 number if you wanted to call them and ask. I got
      an order from Quest also today, enough 1.1 uncoated
      ripstop for a double bottom winter Hammock and/or
      under-quilt. Bill

      --- Mirage <web_dawg@...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
      > Fornshell ...
      > > Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
      > > as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard
      > price
      > > range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
      > > http://www.kitebuilder.com
      > > Bill
      > >

      > Bill, I've been there and looked at thier stuff, but
      > I couldn't tell
      > if it was coated of not. I don't quite recall what
      > gave me the
      > idea, but I got the impression it was all coated.
      >
      > Any insight on that? Coated is ok for ponchos and
      > tarps, but for
      > quilts (under and over) I'm looking for uncoated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Shane "Mirage"...

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • gtvlfed
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
        Bill Fornshell wrote:
        > ... I got an order from Quest...

        Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for materials that I
        should know about?

        Jim
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gtvlfed" <jneale@d...> wrote:
          > Bill Fornshell wrote:
          > > ... I got an order from Quest...
          > >

          > Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for materials that I
          > should know about?
          >
          > Jim

          Jim,

          Here are a bunch of links to fabric sources, some not your obvious
          source for Hammock fabrics, but good none the less.

          http://www.owfinc.com/
          http://www.questoutfitters.com/
          http://kitebuilder.com/catalog/
          http://www.noahlamport.com/store/default.asp

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • Thomas Peltier
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
            > http://www.noahlamport.com/
            > best,
            > Gregg

            Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received the 2nds yet?
            What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that make these seconds?

            I've purchased from them and I never found the flaw in the seconds
            material I purchased
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
              Hi Jim, Yes.
              --- gtvlfed <jneale@...> wrote:
              > Bill Fornshell wrote:
              > > ... I got an order from Quest...
              > >

              > Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for
              > materials that I
              > should know about?
              >
              > Jim

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
            • gregg spoering
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
                Shane,
                Sorry I've been so slow getting back to you on this, but I was away
                backpacking in the Adirondacks this weekend and I'm just catching up on
                email now (no hammocking though- too cold and windy :-(
                Anyway, I haven't even unrolled the fabric yet to check it out, but I'll
                do it in the next couple of days and report back. Supposedly the flaws
                are cosmetic and barely noticeble, if at all.

                Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:09:37 -0000
                From: "Mirage" <web_dawg@...>
                Subject: parachute nylon (was Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gregg spoering
                > Shane,
                > Try this company- very low prices for silnylon and uncoated 1 oz
                ripstop
                > parachute 2nds. Not all colors are available all the time though.
                Just
                > bought some silver gray silnylon for tarps, Brown for ponchos and
                > uncoated olive drab for experimenting with a double bottom Speer
                > hammock. Just $2.75/ yd in orders of 10 yds or more.
                > http://www.noahlamport.com/
                > best,
                > Gregg

                Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received the 2nds yet?
                What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that make these seconds?

                Again, I always appreciate new links to good prices on fabric.

                Shane "Mirage"...