Re: Hammock Camping Re: Cold Weather dilema

  • Thomas Peltier
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 5, 2003
      "I would really love to know how you slung the hammock between those
      boulders. You must have had a lot of line."

      I was a little bit lucky and a little bit persistent. I did not have
      all that much line with me actually. If I was planing several days
      above tree line I would take more gear. What I did carry was a spectra
      ridge line and two seatbelt webbing tree hugger s. My spectra line is
      about 20 feet long give or take, my hammock is slung right in the middle
      9 feet with directional figure 8 knots. My tree hugger are about 15'
      long and have a loop sewn in each end.

      To my head side a found a boulder pinch were one large boulder was
      leaning on another. I simply wrapped my tree hugger around this and
      passed one loop through the other.
      On my foot side there was only a horn. The horn was fairly positive
      and since my direction of pull was constant and not very dynamic I felt
      comfortable with it. I then attached the static line and pulled it
      tight with a truckers hitch.
      The boulder with the horn came back toward me and off to my right. I
      had to get up once during the night to tighten the line so I would not
      contact the side of the rock. The benefit was a great wind block.
      I do have a background in climbing so I just pretend like I'm
      setting anchors.

      " Tom, that's pretty neat. Lot's of questions. What kind of fabrics
      did you use? What kind of stitches? Did this seem to hold up? How
      did this effect the comfort of the hammock? What do you thing will
      be the 'maximum' temperature that your fabric hammock will be
      comfortable at?

      Youngblood"

      I build my hammock with 1.1 ounce nylon. I used a breathable nylon for
      the top and a non-breathable piece for the bottom (same stuff I made my
      tarp from). the only stitches on the tarp are along the edges. I cut
      the bottom sheet 12 inches wider (or 8 I don't remember (but I have
      notes)) to create the space for the down. Although my girlfriend sewed
      some baffles for it she used the 1.1 oz nylon and the thing was blooming
      heavy and bulky. I ripped out the baffles (she made them self
      contained) and poured the down into the hammock.
      this worked very well except that I did have to get up and fluff the
      down in the middle of the night. If I sew in some sort of baffle set up
      I believe I can cut down on the amount of down and concentrate the down
      were I want it.
      As is the hammock is good probably into the 20's. If I use the same
      amount of down and add baffles I'm betting I can get another ten degrees
      or more. I"m a cool sleeper as well. I believe though that I can get
      this to work just like a sleeping bag. Fill the down to spec for any
      temp ratting you want.
      Some factors to consider still. I am in the arid southern Sierra
      nevadas and their was only a breeze no heavy wind. I definatly have
      some testing to do still.
      As far as the baffles go, I"m thinking about using no see um
      matterial as a 3rd layer and baffleing between that and the bottom on
      the hammock.
      I've also been thinking a lot about a wind break below the hammock.
      This concept was talked about a bit a few months ago. Breaking up the
      wind or air flow under the hammock will go a long way toward staying
      warm I hypothosize.

      Tom
      Pura Vida