Re: Hammock Camping parachute nylon (was Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
      Hi, I called this company. 1st, what you are buying
      is 1.1oz per sq yard which for coated is really 1.3oz
      a square yard. They have lots of this stuff and just
      got more colors today. Call in a couple of days when
      the new stuff has been inventoried and available for
      sale. It does not come up on there web site. The
      $2.75 price per yard is a great price and worth buying
      to play with or learn how to sew ripstop with. You can
      also find spinnaker ripstop .5oz/(.64oz
      )--.7oz/(.89oz) --.75oz/(.96oz) --1.5oz/(1.92oz), per
      square yard weight, from kite supply places if you
      want to play with some very light weight ripstop. The
      weight in () is the real weight per 36" by 36" square
      yard, in the sail-maker world a square yard is 28" by
      36." Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
      as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard price
      range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
      http://www.kitebuilder.com
      Bill

      --- Mirage <web_dawg@...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gregg
      > spoering
      > > Shane,
      > > Try this company- very low prices for silnylon and
      > uncoated 1 oz
      > ripstop
      > > parachute 2nds. Not all colors are available all
      > the time though.
      > Just
      > > bought some silver gray silnylon for tarps, Brown
      > for ponchos and
      > > uncoated olive drab for experimenting with a
      > double bottom Speer
      > > hammock. Just $2.75/ yd in orders of 10 yds or
      > more.
      > > http://www.noahlamport.com/
      > > best,
      > > Gregg
      >
      > Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received
      > the 2nds yet?
      > What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that
      > make these seconds?
      >
      > Again, I always appreciate new links to good prices
      > on fabric.
      >
      > Shane "Mirage"...

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell ...
        > Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
        > as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard price
        > range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
        > http://www.kitebuilder.com
        > Bill

        Bill, I've been there and looked at thier stuff, but I couldn't tell
        if it was coated of not. I don't quite recall what gave me the
        idea, but I got the impression it was all coated.

        Any insight on that? Coated is ok for ponchos and tarps, but for
        quilts (under and over) I'm looking for uncoated.

        Thanks,

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
          Hi, I am real sure that the spinnaker ripstop is all
          coated. I just received some .5 (.64) spinnaker
          ripstop from a different place, cost a little more and
          it is coated. I am going to make a tarp out of it and
          see how it holds up. I also ordered some .5, .7 and
          .75 from the Kite Studio, they had more colors to pick
          from, and will get it Thursday. I am going to use it
          for tarps and pack bags. I think the .5 is the stuff
          that the GVP-5 is made out. The Kite Studio has a
          1-800 number if you wanted to call them and ask. I got
          an order from Quest also today, enough 1.1 uncoated
          ripstop for a double bottom winter Hammock and/or
          under-quilt. Bill

          --- Mirage <web_dawg@...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
          > Fornshell ...
          > > Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
          > > as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard
          > price
          > > range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
          > > http://www.kitebuilder.com
          > > Bill
          > >

          > Bill, I've been there and looked at thier stuff, but
          > I couldn't tell
          > if it was coated of not. I don't quite recall what
          > gave me the
          > idea, but I got the impression it was all coated.
          >
          > Any insight on that? Coated is ok for ponchos and
          > tarps, but for
          > quilts (under and over) I'm looking for uncoated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Shane "Mirage"...

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • gtvlfed
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
            Bill Fornshell wrote:
            > ... I got an order from Quest...

            Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for materials that I
            should know about?

            Jim
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gtvlfed" <jneale@d...> wrote:
              > Bill Fornshell wrote:
              > > ... I got an order from Quest...
              > >

              > Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for materials that I
              > should know about?
              >
              > Jim

              Jim,

              Here are a bunch of links to fabric sources, some not your obvious
              source for Hammock fabrics, but good none the less.

              http://www.owfinc.com/
              http://www.questoutfitters.com/
              http://kitebuilder.com/catalog/
              http://www.noahlamport.com/store/default.asp

              Shane "Mirage"...
            • Thomas Peltier
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                > http://www.noahlamport.com/
                > best,
                > Gregg

                Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received the 2nds yet?
                What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that make these seconds?

                I've purchased from them and I never found the flaw in the seconds
                material I purchased
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                  Hi Jim, Yes.
                  --- gtvlfed <jneale@...> wrote:
                  > Bill Fornshell wrote:
                  > > ... I got an order from Quest...
                  > >

                  > Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for
                  > materials that I
                  > should know about?
                  >
                  > Jim

                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                • gregg spoering
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
                    Shane,
                    Sorry I've been so slow getting back to you on this, but I was away
                    backpacking in the Adirondacks this weekend and I'm just catching up on
                    email now (no hammocking though- too cold and windy :-(
                    Anyway, I haven't even unrolled the fabric yet to check it out, but I'll
                    do it in the next couple of days and report back. Supposedly the flaws
                    are cosmetic and barely noticeble, if at all.

                    Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:09:37 -0000
                    From: "Mirage" <web_dawg@...>
                    Subject: parachute nylon (was Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)