parachute nylon (was Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gregg spoering
      > Shane,
      > Try this company- very low prices for silnylon and uncoated 1 oz
      ripstop
      > parachute 2nds. Not all colors are available all the time though.
      Just
      > bought some silver gray silnylon for tarps, Brown for ponchos and
      > uncoated olive drab for experimenting with a double bottom Speer
      > hammock. Just $2.75/ yd in orders of 10 yds or more.
      > http://www.noahlamport.com/
      > best,
      > Gregg

      Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received the 2nds yet?
      What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that make these seconds?

      Again, I always appreciate new links to good prices on fabric.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
        Hi, I called this company. 1st, what you are buying
        is 1.1oz per sq yard which for coated is really 1.3oz
        a square yard. They have lots of this stuff and just
        got more colors today. Call in a couple of days when
        the new stuff has been inventoried and available for
        sale. It does not come up on there web site. The
        $2.75 price per yard is a great price and worth buying
        to play with or learn how to sew ripstop with. You can
        also find spinnaker ripstop .5oz/(.64oz
        )--.7oz/(.89oz) --.75oz/(.96oz) --1.5oz/(1.92oz), per
        square yard weight, from kite supply places if you
        want to play with some very light weight ripstop. The
        weight in () is the real weight per 36" by 36" square
        yard, in the sail-maker world a square yard is 28" by
        36." Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
        as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard price
        range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
        http://www.kitebuilder.com
        Bill

        --- Mirage <web_dawg@...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gregg
        > spoering
        > > Shane,
        > > Try this company- very low prices for silnylon and
        > uncoated 1 oz
        > ripstop
        > > parachute 2nds. Not all colors are available all
        > the time though.
        > Just
        > > bought some silver gray silnylon for tarps, Brown
        > for ponchos and
        > > uncoated olive drab for experimenting with a
        > double bottom Speer
        > > hammock. Just $2.75/ yd in orders of 10 yds or
        > more.
        > > http://www.noahlamport.com/
        > > best,
        > > Gregg
        >
        > Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received
        > the 2nds yet?
        > What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that
        > make these seconds?
        >
        > Again, I always appreciate new links to good prices
        > on fabric.
        >
        > Shane "Mirage"...

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell ...
          > Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
          > as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard price
          > range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
          > http://www.kitebuilder.com
          > Bill

          Bill, I've been there and looked at thier stuff, but I couldn't tell
          if it was coated of not. I don't quite recall what gave me the
          idea, but I got the impression it was all coated.

          Any insight on that? Coated is ok for ponchos and tarps, but for
          quilts (under and over) I'm looking for uncoated.

          Thanks,

          Shane "Mirage"...
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
            Hi, I am real sure that the spinnaker ripstop is all
            coated. I just received some .5 (.64) spinnaker
            ripstop from a different place, cost a little more and
            it is coated. I am going to make a tarp out of it and
            see how it holds up. I also ordered some .5, .7 and
            .75 from the Kite Studio, they had more colors to pick
            from, and will get it Thursday. I am going to use it
            for tarps and pack bags. I think the .5 is the stuff
            that the GVP-5 is made out. The Kite Studio has a
            1-800 number if you wanted to call them and ask. I got
            an order from Quest also today, enough 1.1 uncoated
            ripstop for a double bottom winter Hammock and/or
            under-quilt. Bill

            --- Mirage <web_dawg@...> wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
            > Fornshell ...
            > > Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
            > > as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard
            > price
            > > range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
            > > http://www.kitebuilder.com
            > > Bill
            > >

            > Bill, I've been there and looked at thier stuff, but
            > I couldn't tell
            > if it was coated of not. I don't quite recall what
            > gave me the
            > idea, but I got the impression it was all coated.
            >
            > Any insight on that? Coated is ok for ponchos and
            > tarps, but for
            > quilts (under and over) I'm looking for uncoated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Shane "Mirage"...

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • gtvlfed
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
              Bill Fornshell wrote:
              > ... I got an order from Quest...

              Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for materials that I
              should know about?

              Jim
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gtvlfed" <jneale@d...> wrote:
                > Bill Fornshell wrote:
                > > ... I got an order from Quest...
                > >

                > Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for materials that I
                > should know about?
                >
                > Jim

                Jim,

                Here are a bunch of links to fabric sources, some not your obvious
                source for Hammock fabrics, but good none the less.

                http://www.owfinc.com/
                http://www.questoutfitters.com/
                http://kitebuilder.com/catalog/
                http://www.noahlamport.com/store/default.asp

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • Thomas Peltier
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                  > http://www.noahlamport.com/
                  > best,
                  > Gregg

                  Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received the 2nds yet?
                  What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that make these seconds?

                  I've purchased from them and I never found the flaw in the seconds
                  material I purchased
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                    Hi Jim, Yes.
                    --- gtvlfed <jneale@...> wrote:
                    > Bill Fornshell wrote:
                    > > ... I got an order from Quest...
                    > >

                    > Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for
                    > materials that I
                    > should know about?
                    >
                    > Jim

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                  • gregg spoering
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
                      Shane,
                      Sorry I've been so slow getting back to you on this, but I was away
                      backpacking in the Adirondacks this weekend and I'm just catching up on
                      email now (no hammocking though- too cold and windy :-(
                      Anyway, I haven't even unrolled the fabric yet to check it out, but I'll
                      do it in the next couple of days and report back. Supposedly the flaws
                      are cosmetic and barely noticeble, if at all.

                      Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:09:37 -0000
                      From: "Mirage" <web_dawg@...>
                      Subject: parachute nylon (was Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)