Re: First-time hammocker cool-weather help/Marsanne read it, too

  • sjsierra2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5 7:06 AM
      It's now calling for temps in the low 20s on Saturday night. I had
      decided that if it was going to be more than 20 degrees below what I
      had previously experienced, I wouldn't use the hammock, so I think
      I'm going to go with the tarp and wait for warmer weather to try out
      the hammock.

      Too bad! I'm disappointed, but I know myself and know that with a
      new setup I'll spend the days worrying about whether or not I'll be
      warm, instead of enjoying the hike. And it sounds like it will be
      beautiful late fall weather: partly cloudy, highs around 40, maybe a
      few flurries.

      Thanks for the space blanket advice, Rosaleen -- I'll give it a try
      at some point. For what it's worth, I've definitely found a space
      blanket to help while sleeping on the floor in shelters in cold
      weather, so I don't think the reflective surface is a total bunch of
      hoo-hah. I'd expect it to help significantly between the sleeping
      pad and the hammock, and even more with your setup.

      One question for when I do try it out: what is flexible glue? Do
      you mean fabric glue, epoxy, what? I bet silicone caulk or Silnett
      would stick to a space blanket.

      Bunchberry