RE: Hammock Camping Clothing or bag/quilt

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
      Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

      Hope you've checked out my PeaPod,
      > which I designed as an effective sleeping-bag like insulation that goes
      > completely around the occupied hammock for night time warmth and it also
      > easily coverts to a warm robe for day-time camp duties like cooking dinner.
      > Thus there's no need to carry extra camp clothes.

      Ed,

      I have been meaning to ask this for some time. Have you considered adding a
      couple slits that would work for arm holes? I am not sure if they would just
      lie shut when the PeaPod is around the hammock or if they would need a button or
      velcro. It seems this would add to the functionality of using the robe. After
      one finishes using the hands, they could be withdrawn back inside the peapod.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
        Message
        Rick, I know some other robe-sleeping bags have arm holes, but I find they aren't necessary on the PeaPod--it's very easy to stick one's hand or arms out the front opening without the robe falling off.  Arm openings would need some sort of closure, thus greatly complicating the design, adding unnecessary costs--its amazing how complex zippers can be to production.  I say zippers, since Velcro would be inappropriate for any arm openings--Velcro sticks badly to clothes like fleece or wicking longjohns and thus limits the ability to extend one's arms thru the small openings (I've tried!).  Button closures work better than Velcro, but they are a hassel to open and close.  I find arm openings are too complicated and just aren't necessay in the first place.  Thanks for asking....Ed

        > which I designed as an effective sleeping-bag like insulation that goes
        > completely around the occupied hammock for night time warmth and it also
        > easily coverts to a warm robe for day-time camp duties like cooking dinner.
        > Thus there's no need to carry extra camp clothes.

        Ed,

        I have been meaning to ask this for some time.  Have you considered adding a
        couple slits that would work for arm holes?  I am not sure if they would just
        lie shut when the PeaPod is around the hammock or if they would need a button or
        velcro. It seems this would add to the functionality of using the robe.  After
        one  finishes using the hands, they could be withdrawn back inside the peapod.

      • alidisaster
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
          That's the *good* time of year to go walking in the Lakes!

          It is amazing how cold you can get in wet, sleety conditions - I've
          been in Vermont in Feb and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the
          Lakes in autumn. There is a reason why Goretex was invented here -
          because we needed it! Along with the Pertex/pile idea.

          There are usually places to hang, just off the top of the fells. Lots
          of pine plantations, little groups of trees just off the tops. Can
          be difficult sometimes, tho. I'd love to make a hammock that could
          be rigged as a tarp+integrated bivi for the times when there aren't
          any trees about.

          Don't get much camping done atm; too busy stocking up wood, looking
          after kids, doing jobs on my boat. I do have an idea for rigging a
          hammock on the roof, tho . . .

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
          > Hello, Alastair, I am delighted to know we have at least one "Brit"
          in the
          > group. I know about the English weather. I was there for 2 weeks in
          June,
          > 2002, around the time of the main Jubilee celebrations. I was in
          London for
          > a week and then went up and attempted Scafell Pike. Approximately
          300 feet
          > from the top, I was driven away by horizontal sleet. I was soaked
          through my
          > old Helly rain jacket, to the bone. Was worth it, though. I LOVE
          England,
          > have distant relatives there, am going back in 2005. I didn't see
          many
          > places to hang hammocks up in the fells (that's "hills" to us) but
          I am sure
          > there are many places elsewhere.
          > Marsanne
          >

          > All this talk of staying warm - in the UK the main prob is staying
          dry!