Clothing or bag/quilt

  • Alastair Dent
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
      All this talk of staying warm - in the UK the main prob is staying dry!

      Anyway, something that always bugs me about hiking camping (vs car camping), is the staying warm in the evening thing. I have to have enough warm clothing to keep me warm while cooking dinner etc - and then I take some of it *off* to climb in my warm sleeping bag.

      So now I've started using a thin, lightish buffalo pertex n' pile bag, and wearing my 'evening' clothing inside it. The bag is a summerweight - and I've been fine camping on the ground down to the mid 20s.

      So this makes me think that carrying a lot of insulation just for sleeping is plain daft. I know a lot of pack weenies advocate down vests and hoods - so why not the same when hammock camping?
    • firefly
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
        Hello, Alastair, I am delighted to know we have at least one "Brit" in the
        group. I know about the English weather. I was there for 2 weeks in June,
        2002, around the time of the main Jubilee celebrations. I was in London for
        a week and then went up and attempted Scafell Pike. Approximately 300 feet
        from the top, I was driven away by horizontal sleet. I was soaked through my
        old Helly rain jacket, to the bone. Was worth it, though. I LOVE England,
        have distant relatives there, am going back in 2005. I didn't see many
        places to hang hammocks up in the fells (that's "hills" to us) but I am sure
        there are many places elsewhere.
        Marsanne

        All this talk of staying warm - in the UK the main prob is staying dry!
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
          Message
          Your point is very well taken Alastair--it just makes good sense to use your day clothes for warmth in the hammock at night and/or use your night insulation for warmth during the day.  Hope you've checked out my PeaPod, which I designed as an effective sleeping-bag like insulation that goes completely around the occupied hammock for night time warmth and it also easily coverts to a warm robe for day-time camp duties like cooking dinner.  Thus there's no need to carry extra camp clothes.

          I normally don't 'peddle' my PeaPod on this list, but your post was very timely and I know many folks are trying to devise the best stay-warm system for hammocks as winter approaches.  When everything is considered--warmth, insulation, condensation, bulk & weight--I've yet to see anything that works as well as the PeaPod--I actually use mine for everything less than 75F!  The PeaPod can be seen at:  http://www.speerhammocks.com   Also the upcoming Dec issue of Hammock Camping News will have a feature article on the PeaPod.

          While I've never hiked in England, I'd sure like to.  I visited the Lake Country many years ago and still dream about walking across those hills.  Thanks for your input...Ed

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
            Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

            Hope you've checked out my PeaPod,
            > which I designed as an effective sleeping-bag like insulation that goes
            > completely around the occupied hammock for night time warmth and it also
            > easily coverts to a warm robe for day-time camp duties like cooking dinner.
            > Thus there's no need to carry extra camp clothes.

            Ed,

            I have been meaning to ask this for some time. Have you considered adding a
            couple slits that would work for arm holes? I am not sure if they would just
            lie shut when the PeaPod is around the hammock or if they would need a button or
            velcro. It seems this would add to the functionality of using the robe. After
            one finishes using the hands, they could be withdrawn back inside the peapod.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
              Message
              Rick, I know some other robe-sleeping bags have arm holes, but I find they aren't necessary on the PeaPod--it's very easy to stick one's hand or arms out the front opening without the robe falling off.  Arm openings would need some sort of closure, thus greatly complicating the design, adding unnecessary costs--its amazing how complex zippers can be to production.  I say zippers, since Velcro would be inappropriate for any arm openings--Velcro sticks badly to clothes like fleece or wicking longjohns and thus limits the ability to extend one's arms thru the small openings (I've tried!).  Button closures work better than Velcro, but they are a hassel to open and close.  I find arm openings are too complicated and just aren't necessay in the first place.  Thanks for asking....Ed

              > which I designed as an effective sleeping-bag like insulation that goes
              > completely around the occupied hammock for night time warmth and it also
              > easily coverts to a warm robe for day-time camp duties like cooking dinner.
              > Thus there's no need to carry extra camp clothes.

              Ed,

              I have been meaning to ask this for some time.  Have you considered adding a
              couple slits that would work for arm holes?  I am not sure if they would just
              lie shut when the PeaPod is around the hammock or if they would need a button or
              velcro. It seems this would add to the functionality of using the robe.  After
              one  finishes using the hands, they could be withdrawn back inside the peapod.

            • alidisaster
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
                That's the *good* time of year to go walking in the Lakes!

                It is amazing how cold you can get in wet, sleety conditions - I've
                been in Vermont in Feb and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the
                Lakes in autumn. There is a reason why Goretex was invented here -
                because we needed it! Along with the Pertex/pile idea.

                There are usually places to hang, just off the top of the fells. Lots
                of pine plantations, little groups of trees just off the tops. Can
                be difficult sometimes, tho. I'd love to make a hammock that could
                be rigged as a tarp+integrated bivi for the times when there aren't
                any trees about.

                Don't get much camping done atm; too busy stocking up wood, looking
                after kids, doing jobs on my boat. I do have an idea for rigging a
                hammock on the roof, tho . . .