parachute nylon (was Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)

  • gregg spoering
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2003

         Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:40:10 -0000
         From: "Mirage" <web_dawg@...>
      Subject: Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)

      The nice thing was it was made from parachute nylon.  Sure wish I could find a source
      for that.

      Shane "Mirage" ...

      Shane,
      Try this company- very low prices for silnylon and uncoated 1 oz ripstop parachute 2nds. Not all colors are available all the time though. Just bought some silver gray silnylon for tarps, Brown for ponchos and uncoated olive drab for experimenting with a double bottom Speer hammock. Just $2.75/ yd in orders of 10 yds or more.
      http://www.noahlamport.com/
      best,
      Gregg

    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gregg spoering
        > Shane,
        > Try this company- very low prices for silnylon and uncoated 1 oz
        ripstop
        > parachute 2nds. Not all colors are available all the time though.
        Just
        > bought some silver gray silnylon for tarps, Brown for ponchos and
        > uncoated olive drab for experimenting with a double bottom Speer
        > hammock. Just $2.75/ yd in orders of 10 yds or more.
        > http://www.noahlamport.com/
        > best,
        > Gregg

        Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received the 2nds yet?
        What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that make these seconds?

        Again, I always appreciate new links to good prices on fabric.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
          Hi, I called this company. 1st, what you are buying
          is 1.1oz per sq yard which for coated is really 1.3oz
          a square yard. They have lots of this stuff and just
          got more colors today. Call in a couple of days when
          the new stuff has been inventoried and available for
          sale. It does not come up on there web site. The
          $2.75 price per yard is a great price and worth buying
          to play with or learn how to sew ripstop with. You can
          also find spinnaker ripstop .5oz/(.64oz
          )--.7oz/(.89oz) --.75oz/(.96oz) --1.5oz/(1.92oz), per
          square yard weight, from kite supply places if you
          want to play with some very light weight ripstop. The
          weight in () is the real weight per 36" by 36" square
          yard, in the sail-maker world a square yard is 28" by
          36." Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
          as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard price
          range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
          http://www.kitebuilder.com
          Bill

          --- Mirage <web_dawg@...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gregg
          > spoering
          > > Shane,
          > > Try this company- very low prices for silnylon and
          > uncoated 1 oz
          > ripstop
          > > parachute 2nds. Not all colors are available all
          > the time though.
          > Just
          > > bought some silver gray silnylon for tarps, Brown
          > for ponchos and
          > > uncoated olive drab for experimenting with a
          > double bottom Speer
          > > hammock. Just $2.75/ yd in orders of 10 yds or
          > more.
          > > http://www.noahlamport.com/
          > > best,
          > > Gregg
          >
          > Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received
          > the 2nds yet?
          > What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that
          > make these seconds?
          >
          > Again, I always appreciate new links to good prices
          > on fabric.
          >
          > Shane "Mirage"...

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell ...
            > Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
            > as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard price
            > range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
            > http://www.kitebuilder.com
            > Bill

            Bill, I've been there and looked at thier stuff, but I couldn't tell
            if it was coated of not. I don't quite recall what gave me the
            idea, but I got the impression it was all coated.

            Any insight on that? Coated is ok for ponchos and tarps, but for
            quilts (under and over) I'm looking for uncoated.

            Thanks,

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2003
              Hi, I am real sure that the spinnaker ripstop is all
              coated. I just received some .5 (.64) spinnaker
              ripstop from a different place, cost a little more and
              it is coated. I am going to make a tarp out of it and
              see how it holds up. I also ordered some .5, .7 and
              .75 from the Kite Studio, they had more colors to pick
              from, and will get it Thursday. I am going to use it
              for tarps and pack bags. I think the .5 is the stuff
              that the GVP-5 is made out. The Kite Studio has a
              1-800 number if you wanted to call them and ask. I got
              an order from Quest also today, enough 1.1 uncoated
              ripstop for a double bottom winter Hammock and/or
              under-quilt. Bill

              --- Mirage <web_dawg@...> wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
              > Fornshell ...
              > > Most of this spinnaker ripstop is also available
              > > as firsts and seconds in the $3 to $7 per yard
              > price
              > > range. Try the "Kite Studio" at
              > > http://www.kitebuilder.com
              > > Bill
              > >

              > Bill, I've been there and looked at thier stuff, but
              > I couldn't tell
              > if it was coated of not. I don't quite recall what
              > gave me the
              > idea, but I got the impression it was all coated.
              >
              > Any insight on that? Coated is ok for ponchos and
              > tarps, but for
              > quilts (under and over) I'm looking for uncoated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Shane "Mirage"...

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
            • gtvlfed
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                Bill Fornshell wrote:
                > ... I got an order from Quest...

                Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for materials that I
                should know about?

                Jim
              • Mirage
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gtvlfed" <jneale@d...> wrote:
                  > Bill Fornshell wrote:
                  > > ... I got an order from Quest...
                  > >

                  > Bill, what is Quest? Is that another source for materials that I
                  > should know about?
                  >
                  > Jim

                  Jim,

                  Here are a bunch of links to fabric sources, some not your obvious
                  source for Hammock fabrics, but good none the less.

                  http://www.owfinc.com/
                  http://www.questoutfitters.com/
                  http://kitebuilder.com/catalog/
                  http://www.noahlamport.com/store/default.asp

                  Shane "Mirage"...
                • Thomas Peltier
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                    > http://www.noahlamport.com/
                    > best,
                    > Gregg

                    Hey Gregg, Thanks for the link. Have you received the 2nds yet?
                    What, if any, are the quality or color flaws that make these seconds?

                    I've purchased from them and I never found the flaw in the seconds
                    material I purchased
                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 6, 2003
                      Hi Jim, Yes.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
                        Shane,
                        Sorry I've been so slow getting back to you on this, but I was away
                        backpacking in the Adirondacks this weekend and I'm just catching up on
                        email now (no hammocking though- too cold and windy :-(
                        Anyway, I haven't even unrolled the fabric yet to check it out, but I'll
                        do it in the next couple of days and report back. Supposedly the flaws
                        are cosmetic and barely noticeble, if at all.

                        Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:09:37 -0000
                        From: "Mirage" <web_dawg@...>
                        Subject: parachute nylon (was Re: For Mirage (Shane Bryan)