RE: Hammock Camping Re: First-time hammocker cool-weather help/Marsanne read it, too

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003

      This is great, thanks, and I think it is funny that you added “Marsanne, read it too”. As you know, I LOVE funny.  But, what is the “hank”?  I don’t sew, but I just bought one of those little hand held sewing machines.

      Marsanne

      From: "sjsierra2002" <sjsierra@...>
      Subject: First-time hammocker cool-weather help

      Hello all -- I am a newbie hammocker -- just got a HH a few weeks
      ago, and I've been looking forward to trying it out on a four-day
      solo over next weekend.  The forecasts for next weekend are for temps
      in the 30's in north-central PA, where I'm going.  I won't have a
      chance to sleep out in temps that low before I go:  we're having a
      warm spell here in Philadelphia, and the nighttime temps aren't going
      below the upper 40's.

      Right now my strategy for staying warm is a 20 degree sleeping bag,
      warm clothing, and a Target blue foam pad.  I'll bring a space
      blanket to put between the pad and the hammock for extra insulation
      if needed.  Do you think this will be OK?

      (I'm generally a warm sleeper.  Saturday night, when I slept out in
      my backyard, I was wearing mid-weight long underwear and was toasty
      in my sleeping bag -- I did put on a fleece vest halfway through the
      night.  The low was 48.)

      Thanks for your help.  Ordinarily I'd like to test my gear a bit more
      before relying on it for a trip like this, but it just hasn't worked
      out that way.

      Bunchberry

    • sjsierra2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
        It's now calling for temps in the low 20s on Saturday night. I had
        decided that if it was going to be more than 20 degrees below what I
        had previously experienced, I wouldn't use the hammock, so I think
        I'm going to go with the tarp and wait for warmer weather to try out
        the hammock.

        Too bad! I'm disappointed, but I know myself and know that with a
        new setup I'll spend the days worrying about whether or not I'll be
        warm, instead of enjoying the hike. And it sounds like it will be
        beautiful late fall weather: partly cloudy, highs around 40, maybe a
        few flurries.

        Thanks for the space blanket advice, Rosaleen -- I'll give it a try
        at some point. For what it's worth, I've definitely found a space
        blanket to help while sleeping on the floor in shelters in cold
        weather, so I don't think the reflective surface is a total bunch of
        hoo-hah. I'd expect it to help significantly between the sleeping
        pad and the hammock, and even more with your setup.

        One question for when I do try it out: what is flexible glue? Do
        you mean fabric glue, epoxy, what? I bet silicone caulk or Silnett
        would stick to a space blanket.

        Bunchberry