Re: Hammock Camping Re: cold weather heresy

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
      Quoting "gwelker@..."

      > For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the savings
      > in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a tent. For
      > many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance back
      > toward the tent option.

      In what way?

      The weight/bulk of my hammock and tarp is less than any tent I have used. The
      pad I use in the hammock (down to freezing and below) is half the weight of any
      pad I have ever been able to sleep on the ground with. The bulk is the same or
      less.

      Rick
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        Quoting Hoplite <hiker@...>:

        > But when you say cold weather, what is the range of conditions you're
        > talking about? i.e. temperature? What's the coldest you can push your
        > hammock setup?

        So far, 5 deg F. Maybe it will get colder this winter!