Re: Hammock Camping Re: Cold Weather dilema

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
      Quoting Tripp Clark <trippclark@...>:

      > Well, I did take an use the hammock on the trip from Carver's Gap,
      > TN to Dennis Cove Road (Kincora Hostel). What a beautiful section!
      > As it turned out, my concerns were totally unwarranted as they are
      > experiencing unseasonably warm weather. I did not have a
      > thermometer, but I am sure that the temps were no lower than 45 at
      > night and the highs were at least upper 70's . . . it was
      > incredible! Blue skies, lovely views from the Roan Highlands balds,
      > just a toucj of color still clinging to the trees . . . gosh, why
      > did I have to come back home!!!
      >
      > Tripp

      Sounds wonderful and I'm jealous and I have to get out and do some more hiking!
      Any pictures to make me feel even worse?

      Rick
    • Tripp Clark
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
        Yes, I took over a hundred digital photos, but not a single hammock
        photo, so I don't know how well they'd fit in this forum. If I load
        any to the web elsewhere, I'll let you know.

        Tripp

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
          Message
          Glad to hear your hike went well Tripp--that really is a beautiful mountain trail.  I'm jealous since I spent the weekend working on the house.  Hope to see ya at the Scout Camporee next weekend...Ed

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 5, 2003
            "I would really love to know how you slung the hammock between those
            boulders. You must have had a lot of line."

            I was a little bit lucky and a little bit persistent. I did not have
            all that much line with me actually. If I was planing several days
            above tree line I would take more gear. What I did carry was a spectra
            ridge line and two seatbelt webbing tree hugger s. My spectra line is
            about 20 feet long give or take, my hammock is slung right in the middle
            9 feet with directional figure 8 knots. My tree hugger are about 15'
            long and have a loop sewn in each end.

            To my head side a found a boulder pinch were one large boulder was
            leaning on another. I simply wrapped my tree hugger around this and
            passed one loop through the other.
            On my foot side there was only a horn. The horn was fairly positive
            and since my direction of pull was constant and not very dynamic I felt
            comfortable with it. I then attached the static line and pulled it
            tight with a truckers hitch.
            The boulder with the horn came back toward me and off to my right. I
            had to get up once during the night to tighten the line so I would not
            contact the side of the rock. The benefit was a great wind block.
            I do have a background in climbing so I just pretend like I'm
            setting anchors.

            " Tom, that's pretty neat. Lot's of questions. What kind of fabrics
            did you use? What kind of stitches? Did this seem to hold up? How
            did this effect the comfort of the hammock? What do you thing will
            be the 'maximum' temperature that your fabric hammock will be
            comfortable at?

            Youngblood"

            I build my hammock with 1.1 ounce nylon. I used a breathable nylon for
            the top and a non-breathable piece for the bottom (same stuff I made my
            tarp from). the only stitches on the tarp are along the edges. I cut
            the bottom sheet 12 inches wider (or 8 I don't remember (but I have
            notes)) to create the space for the down. Although my girlfriend sewed
            some baffles for it she used the 1.1 oz nylon and the thing was blooming
            heavy and bulky. I ripped out the baffles (she made them self
            contained) and poured the down into the hammock.
            this worked very well except that I did have to get up and fluff the
            down in the middle of the night. If I sew in some sort of baffle set up
            I believe I can cut down on the amount of down and concentrate the down
            were I want it.
            As is the hammock is good probably into the 20's. If I use the same
            amount of down and add baffles I'm betting I can get another ten degrees
            or more. I"m a cool sleeper as well. I believe though that I can get
            this to work just like a sleeping bag. Fill the down to spec for any
            temp ratting you want.
            Some factors to consider still. I am in the arid southern Sierra
            nevadas and their was only a breeze no heavy wind. I definatly have
            some testing to do still.
            As far as the baffles go, I"m thinking about using no see um
            matterial as a 3rd layer and baffleing between that and the bottom on
            the hammock.
            I've also been thinking a lot about a wind break below the hammock.
            This concept was talked about a bit a few months ago. Breaking up the
            wind or air flow under the hammock will go a long way toward staying
            warm I hypothosize.

            Tom
            Pura Vida