Re: Hammock Camping Re: cold weather heresy

  • Hoplite
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
      SG wrote:

      >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gwelker@e..." <gwelker@e...>
      >wrote:
      >

      >>For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the
      >>

      >savings
      >

      >>in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a
      >>

      >tent. For
      >

      >>many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance
      >>

      >back
      >

      >>toward the tent option.

      >>mail2web - Check your email from the web at
      >>http://mail2web.com/ .
      >>

      >I have tried several winter solutions and so far I am agreeing with
      >gwelker. They add weight and are bulky. This is particularly true
      >using a HH. Ed's pea pod is probably the way to go. I am
      >experimenting with a way to add a down under quilt to my HH but for
      >now-- cold weather=tent.

      But when you say cold weather, what is the range of conditions you're
      talking about? i.e. temperature? What's the coldest you can push your
      hammock setup?

      Hoplite
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        Quoting "gwelker@..."

        > For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the savings
        > in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a tent. For
        > many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance back
        > toward the tent option.

        In what way?

        The weight/bulk of my hammock and tarp is less than any tent I have used. The
        pad I use in the hammock (down to freezing and below) is half the weight of any
        pad I have ever been able to sleep on the ground with. The bulk is the same or
        less.

        Rick
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
          Quoting Hoplite <hiker@...>:

          > But when you say cold weather, what is the range of conditions you're
          > talking about? i.e. temperature? What's the coldest you can push your
          > hammock setup?

          So far, 5 deg F. Maybe it will get colder this winter!