Re: cold weather heresy

  • SG
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gwelker@e..." <gwelker@e...>
      wrote:
      > For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the
      savings
      > in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a
      tent. For
      > many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance
      back
      > toward the tent option.

      > http://mail2web.com/ .

      I have tried several winter solutions and so far I am agreeing with
      gwelker. They add weight and are bulky. This is particularly true
      using a HH. Ed's pea pod is probably the way to go. I am
      experimenting with a way to add a down under quilt to my HH but for
      now-- cold weather=tent.
    • Hoplite
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        SG wrote:

        >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gwelker@e..." <gwelker@e...>
        >wrote:
        >

        >>For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the
        >>

        >savings
        >

        >>in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a
        >>

        >tent. For
        >

        >>many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance
        >>

        >back
        >

        >>toward the tent option.

        >>mail2web - Check your email from the web at
        >>http://mail2web.com/ .
        >>

        >I have tried several winter solutions and so far I am agreeing with
        >gwelker. They add weight and are bulky. This is particularly true
        >using a HH. Ed's pea pod is probably the way to go. I am
        >experimenting with a way to add a down under quilt to my HH but for
        >now-- cold weather=tent.

        But when you say cold weather, what is the range of conditions you're
        talking about? i.e. temperature? What's the coldest you can push your
        hammock setup?

        Hoplite
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
          Quoting "gwelker@..."

          > For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the savings
          > in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a tent. For
          > many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance back
          > toward the tent option.

          In what way?

          The weight/bulk of my hammock and tarp is less than any tent I have used. The
          pad I use in the hammock (down to freezing and below) is half the weight of any
          pad I have ever been able to sleep on the ground with. The bulk is the same or
          less.

          Rick
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
            Quoting Hoplite <hiker@...>:

            > But when you say cold weather, what is the range of conditions you're
            > talking about? i.e. temperature? What's the coldest you can push your
            > hammock setup?

            So far, 5 deg F. Maybe it will get colder this winter!