Hammock Camping Re: cold weather heresy

  • Dennis Shubitowski
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2003
      I think the major reason is comfort. On the trail, I have had the best nights sleep I've ever had in a hammock. On the ground, I always sleep fitfully. The rest that you get seems to be quite good, and that finds hammock users trying to extend the benefit into the colder weather.

      My 2 pennies -
      Dennis

      >>> gwelker@... 11/04/03 01:02PM >>>
      For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the savings
      in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a tent. For
      many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance back
      toward the tent option.
    • Bror8588@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2003
        In a message dated 11/4/03 13:08:15 Eastern Standard Time, gwelker@... writes:

        For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the savings
        in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a tent.  For
        many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance back
        toward the tent option.

        Weight is one reason but consider the convenience of a hammock when there is no "flat" upon which to set up a tent or when the campsite is filled with noisy campers and you might want to move down the trail a ways.  Added bulk is only necessary if your sleeping bag is light and your pads are inadequate.  If there is not a huge advantage of weight for a tent to be first choice then the many choices offered by a hammock make more sense.

        Of course, each person needs to hike their own hike.

        Skylander