Re: cold weather heresy

  • gwelker@erols.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
      For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the savings
      in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a tent. For
      many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance back
      toward the tent option.

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • SG
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gwelker@e..." <gwelker@e...>
        wrote:
        > For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the
        savings
        > in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a
        tent. For
        > many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance
        back
        > toward the tent option.

        > http://mail2web.com/ .

        I have tried several winter solutions and so far I am agreeing with
        gwelker. They add weight and are bulky. This is particularly true
        using a HH. Ed's pea pod is probably the way to go. I am
        experimenting with a way to add a down under quilt to my HH but for
        now-- cold weather=tent.
      • Hoplite
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
          SG wrote:

          >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gwelker@e..." <gwelker@e...>
          >wrote:
          >

          >>For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the
          >>

          >savings
          >

          >>in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a
          >>

          >tent. For
          >

          >>many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance
          >>

          >back
          >

          >>toward the tent option.

          >>mail2web - Check your email from the web at
          >>http://mail2web.com/ .
          >>

          >I have tried several winter solutions and so far I am agreeing with
          >gwelker. They add weight and are bulky. This is particularly true
          >using a HH. Ed's pea pod is probably the way to go. I am
          >experimenting with a way to add a down under quilt to my HH but for
          >now-- cold weather=tent.

          But when you say cold weather, what is the range of conditions you're
          talking about? i.e. temperature? What's the coldest you can push your
          hammock setup?

          Hoplite
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
            Quoting "gwelker@..."

            > For myself, one of the major reasons I took up hammocking was the savings
            > in weight and volume I could achieve by carrying a hammock vs a tent. For
            > many of the coldweather solutions the added bulk swings the balance back
            > toward the tent option.

            In what way?

            The weight/bulk of my hammock and tarp is less than any tent I have used. The
            pad I use in the hammock (down to freezing and below) is half the weight of any
            pad I have ever been able to sleep on the ground with. The bulk is the same or
            less.

            Rick
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
              Quoting Hoplite <hiker@...>:

              > But when you say cold weather, what is the range of conditions you're
              > talking about? i.e. temperature? What's the coldest you can push your
              > hammock setup?

              So far, 5 deg F. Maybe it will get colder this winter!