Re: Hammock Camping bag or blanket?

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
      Quoting Jim:

      > I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
      > an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
      > benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
      > air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
      > the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
      > to pass.

      Hi Jim,

      I have found considerable advantage with the open quilt-like configuration in a
      hammock. First, it is a bit easier to pull the quilt down over my body with the
      foot box and use the bag as a blanket because I do not need to go through the
      gymnastics of getting into/zipping up the bag. Second, it puts all the bag's
      insulation over me where it is effective, a good reminder that the part of the
      bag under you is not effective. (Insulation under you is either pads or a
      tacoshell or an underquilt or a peapod (or all combined.))

      Using a quilt over me, I have found the insulation effectiveness is greater than
      normally quoted because the thickness of the quilt is well above what is
      normally attained with a bag (like pushing an accordian bellows together.)

      One of the disadvantages of using a bag like a quilt on the ground is that the
      stuff on the ground (leaves, dirt, bugs) end up in my clothes. That may be one
      reason that people have gravitated toward sleeping bags for camping. Another
      advantage of using a quilt in a camping hammock is that the sides of the hammock
      keep the quilt from spreading out. In a tent, the quilt (fueled with my body
      warmth) would tend to warm a large patch of earth as it spread out.

      Others, I am sure, may wish to add their understanding as well.

      Rick
    • firefly