bag or blanket?

  • gtvlfed
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
      I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
      an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
      benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
      air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
      the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
      to pass.

      Jim
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
        Quoting Jim:

        > I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
        > an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
        > benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
        > air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
        > the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
        > to pass.

        Hi Jim,

        I have found considerable advantage with the open quilt-like configuration in a
        hammock. First, it is a bit easier to pull the quilt down over my body with the
        foot box and use the bag as a blanket because I do not need to go through the
        gymnastics of getting into/zipping up the bag. Second, it puts all the bag's
        insulation over me where it is effective, a good reminder that the part of the
        bag under you is not effective. (Insulation under you is either pads or a
        tacoshell or an underquilt or a peapod (or all combined.))

        Using a quilt over me, I have found the insulation effectiveness is greater than
        normally quoted because the thickness of the quilt is well above what is
        normally attained with a bag (like pushing an accordian bellows together.)

        One of the disadvantages of using a bag like a quilt on the ground is that the
        stuff on the ground (leaves, dirt, bugs) end up in my clothes. That may be one
        reason that people have gravitated toward sleeping bags for camping. Another
        advantage of using a quilt in a camping hammock is that the sides of the hammock
        keep the quilt from spreading out. In a tent, the quilt (fueled with my body
        warmth) would tend to warm a large patch of earth as it spread out.

        Others, I am sure, may wish to add their understanding as well.

        Rick
      • firefly