Re: Hammock Camping Ideas4KeepingWarm

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
      Less than a pennie's worth from me:

      > > 1. Shane's pad, made of Neat Sheet and thin space blanky and pad.
      > > cannot find the Neat Sheet locally, have trip this weekend,
      > > beginning Thursday, no time to order online.

      I split the Neat Sheet into two layers. It makes a nice 'almost
      vapor barrier' sleeping bag liner and will add some warmth. Of
      course, any sleeping bag liner will do the same, so don't sweat it if
      you can't find the Neat Sheet. It's sold as a picnic item, so you
      may not find them this time of year.

      > > 3. That roll of Reflectix I saw at Lowe's Saturday is calling me.
      >
      > I have tried the Reflectix as a pad and as a supplemental pad. It
      seems a bit
      > colder and heavier to me than the Target Pad. In general, I have
      not had much
      > success with any of the reflective pads, despite some theoretical
      improvements I
      > believed I understood.

      I've made pot cozies out of both Reflectix and leftover Target blue
      foam. I have found that the Blue foam was far supperior to the
      Reflectix at keeping heat inside the cozy. This supports your
      experience. I would suggest that you could try glueing an emergency
      blanket to the bottom of a Target blue foam pad if you think it would
      work. I'm beginning to think, though, that the reflective layer may
      not be as effective in this application as theory would suggest.

      > > 5. Or, for an underquilt, Wal-mart sells down throws for $13. How
      > > about if I take my nice space blanky, hang it under the hammock,
      > > with the down throw in it?
      >
      > If your space blanket is one of the reinforced ones, this may
      (should) work
      > well. The down comforter will be bulky for backpacking, but it
      would keep you
      > warm.

      I use one of the Target down throws on my bed at home. It is a quilt
      through construction which is going to have some cold spots and the
      fabric it's made from will not compress as much as 1.1 oz nylon BUT
      it is surprisingly warm considering the materials used. In the
      backyard with the space blanket underneath it, it would probably be a
      very effective Garlington Insulator. If you could stand the crinkly
      noise all night, you could probably use one of the cheap mylar
      reflective space blankets instead of the nicer one you own. For $5
      you could cut it down or tie stuff to it and not worry about ruining
      it since it's mostly disposable.

      While the temperatures you're going to see are not very cold for many
      of us, for those more accustomed to the winters in the south, 30's
      are pretty cold. I've done 35 F in a Hennessey with an underquilt
      made of thin nylon and .75" of quilt batting, a foam type windshield
      reflector, a neat sheet bag liner and a 35F Primaloft sleeping bag.
      I sleep very cold and I wasn't toasty warm that night, but I was
      comfortable to get some good quality sleep.

      ciyd
    • gtvlfed
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
        I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
        an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
        benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
        air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
        the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
        to pass.

        Jim
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
          Quoting Jim:

          > I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
          > an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
          > benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
          > air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
          > the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
          > to pass.

          Hi Jim,

          I have found considerable advantage with the open quilt-like configuration in a
          hammock. First, it is a bit easier to pull the quilt down over my body with the
          foot box and use the bag as a blanket because I do not need to go through the
          gymnastics of getting into/zipping up the bag. Second, it puts all the bag's
          insulation over me where it is effective, a good reminder that the part of the
          bag under you is not effective. (Insulation under you is either pads or a
          tacoshell or an underquilt or a peapod (or all combined.))

          Using a quilt over me, I have found the insulation effectiveness is greater than
          normally quoted because the thickness of the quilt is well above what is
          normally attained with a bag (like pushing an accordian bellows together.)

          One of the disadvantages of using a bag like a quilt on the ground is that the
          stuff on the ground (leaves, dirt, bugs) end up in my clothes. That may be one
          reason that people have gravitated toward sleeping bags for camping. Another
          advantage of using a quilt in a camping hammock is that the sides of the hammock
          keep the quilt from spreading out. In a tent, the quilt (fueled with my body
          warmth) would tend to warm a large patch of earth as it spread out.

          Others, I am sure, may wish to add their understanding as well.

          Rick
        • firefly