RE: Hammock Camping First-time hammocker cool-weather help HERESY!

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
      Message
      My fellings exactly Skylander.  It does sound harsh dosen't it, but I'm just trying to keep people safe.  Personally I have enough experience to know what gear I need to take--but for those folks who don't have that experience yet, I suggest that when temps drop below the comfort range of their hammock gear, they should consider putting their hammock on the ground and getting a warm night's sleep rather than freezing all night trying to stay in a hammock with improper gear.  Experience is the best teacher and they will soon know what gear to carry.  As for me, my life would be complete if I never have to sleep on the ground again!  ...Ed

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
        Quoting Bror8588@...:

        > How can you suggest that a hanger go back to the ground where it is hard,
        > lumpy, solid, uncomfortable, etc., when they have once experienced swinging?

        Oh, Ed speaks from a world of experience. If all other tricks have failed, then
        sleeping in the hammock on the ground is more comfortable than sleeping
        suspended and shivering all night. This mode-extremis is reserved for when all
        my preparation and other tricks have been spent.