Re: Hammock Camping First-time hammocker cool-weather help HERESY!

  • Bror8588@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
      Ed,

      How can you suggest that a hanger go back to the ground where it is hard, lumpy, solid, uncomfortable, etc., when they have once experienced swinging?

      It is possible to keep warm in the air -- it just takes careful preparation.  The ground has a certain chill factor in itself.  Just as a pad keeps the ground from sucking the warmth out of a hanger so a pad and proper clothing and insulation can keep the air from sucking out the warmth.

      It does take practice and that is the fun part.

      Skylander
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
        Message
        My fellings exactly Skylander.  It does sound harsh dosen't it, but I'm just trying to keep people safe.  Personally I have enough experience to know what gear I need to take--but for those folks who don't have that experience yet, I suggest that when temps drop below the comfort range of their hammock gear, they should consider putting their hammock on the ground and getting a warm night's sleep rather than freezing all night trying to stay in a hammock with improper gear.  Experience is the best teacher and they will soon know what gear to carry.  As for me, my life would be complete if I never have to sleep on the ground again!  ...Ed

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
          Quoting Bror8588@...:

          > How can you suggest that a hanger go back to the ground where it is hard,
          > lumpy, solid, uncomfortable, etc., when they have once experienced swinging?

          Oh, Ed speaks from a world of experience. If all other tricks have failed, then
          sleeping in the hammock on the ground is more comfortable than sleeping
          suspended and shivering all night. This mode-extremis is reserved for when all
          my preparation and other tricks have been spent.