RE: Hammock Camping First-time hammocker cool-weather help

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Message
      Bunchberry, I'd suggest more warm clothing, such as winter weight long johns &/or fleece sweater and pants PLUS another sleeping pad--maybe a thin inflatable like the ThermARest ultralight. Hopefully this will be overkill, but if not at least you will get a good nights' sleep.  And remember, when it gets too cold for the gear you have--switch to sleeping on the ground and return to the comfort of the hammock when temps go back up...Ed

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        Another trick to have up your sleave is to fold the target pad back on itself so
        it is twice as thick. Position it so it is between your shoulders and your bottom.

        Rick

        Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

        > Bunchberry, I'd suggest more warm clothing, such as winter weight long johns
        > &/or fleece sweater and pants PLUS another sleeping pad--maybe a thin
        > inflatable like the ThermARest ultralight. Hopefully this will be overkill,
        > but if not at least you will get a good nights' sleep. And remember, when
        > it gets too cold for the gear you have--switch to sleeping on the ground and
        > return to the comfort of the hammock when temps go back up...Ed

      • sjsierra2002
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Skylander, Rick, Ed -- This is helpful. I'm trying to walk the line
          between carrying too much stuff (since I'm out for four days solo and
          am trying to keep weight low) and having enough gear to stay warm. I
          would prefer not to carry a second pad. Do others think it'll be
          necessary? I'll definitely have extra clothing.

          If it seems as though the hammock won't work out, I'll bring my
          tarptent instead. But I'm really hoping to be able to do the hammock
          in comfort!

          Thanks to all for your hints.

          Bunchberry

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
          > Another trick to have up your sleave is to fold the target pad back
          on itself so
          > it is twice as thick. Position it so it is between your shoulders
          and your bottom.

          > Rick
          >
          > Quoting Ed Speer <info@s...>:
          >
          > > Bunchberry, I'd suggest more warm clothing, such as winter weight
          long johns
          > > &/or fleece sweater and pants PLUS another sleeping pad--maybe a
          thin
          > > inflatable like the ThermARest ultralight. Hopefully this will be
          overkill,
          > > but if not at least you will get a good nights' sleep. And
          remember, when
          > > it gets too cold for the gear you have--switch to sleeping on the
          ground and
          > > return to the comfort of the hammock when temps go back up...Ed

          Service
          > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • noahjen2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            I too am a warm sleeper. I recently spent a night that got down to 27
            -30 degress. I had a twenty degree bag and a blue target pad. I
            slept in fleece pants, socks, a sweatshirt, jacket, and a warm hat. I
            stayed warm all night.