Re: Hammock Camping Ideas4KeepingWarm

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
      A few cents from my experience so far:

      Quoting canoetrip_2000 <firefly@...>:

      > I successfully used the combination of closed cell Target pad and
      > windshield reflector on my trip to Desolation Wilderness in July.
      > Temps in the mid to high 40's. (I used my TNF down bag as a quilt
      > and foot box.) However, that pad combination is REALLY bulky to
      > pack.

      I find the target pad packs without much fuss as a "cylinder frame" in my
      frameless backpacks. My favorite way to use the pad presently is as an "overlap
      pad." See http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm for details. BTW, I am
      presently comfortable down to about 25F (at least) with the target pad used as
      an overlap and a down sleeping bag... so this might be enough for your LA trip.

      I am looking for alternatives. Here are the ones I am
      > considering, would like feedback:
      >
      > 1. Shane's pad, made of Neat Sheet and thin space blanky and pad. I
      > cannot find the Neat Sheet locally, have trip this weekend,
      > beginning Thursday, no time to order online.

      Someone said that WalMart has the neat sheets... however I have no experience
      with them, so you are on your own with it.

      > 2. I do have a NICE space blanky, but it is huge and I hate to cut
      > it. However, that is what I am considering. I am considering cutting
      > it to fit the Target pad, which I have already cut. I can just "sew"
      > it to the neat sheet and go ahead and order the Neat Sheet online
      > and then add later. Advantage of this is that this space blanky is
      > not crinkly like the little cheap ones.
      > 3. That roll of Reflectix I saw at Lowe's Saturday is calling me. I
      > plugged "reflectix" into the search engine here and could not tell
      > what the consensus was on its value. It's the same stuff used on the
      > car reflectors, and by the guy who makes and sells pot cozys.
      > Without being attached to cardboard, it would probably be easier to
      > roll up with the pad than the windshield reflector. Does this sound
      > like a better alternative than the space blanky? OR:

      I have tried the Reflectix as a pad and as a supplemental pad. It seems a bit
      colder and heavier to me than the Target Pad. In general, I have not had much
      success with any of the reflective pads, despite some theoretical improvements I
      believed I understood.

      > 4. For really colder weather, should I use the reflectix as an
      > underquilt, in addition to some combination of the above? I am going
      > to be sleeping in the hammock in my parents' back yard Thanksgiving
      > in North Louisiana and it does get cold up there. Temps in the the
      > 30s in late November are common and I don't want to sleep with my
      > sister.
      > 5. Or, for an underquilt, Wal-mart sells down throws for $13. How
      > about if I take my nice space blanky, hang it under the hammock,
      > with the down throw in it?

      If your space blanket is one of the reinforced ones, this may (should) work
      well. The down comforter will be bulky for backpacking, but it would keep you
      warm. If you find a way to hang that "space blanky" so that it hangs away from
      the hammock and you keep air from billowing in and out of it along the edges and
      ends, you essentially have a "taco shell/Garlington type" insulator. Ray's
      insulator was originally designed for the HH, to allow one to pull it up after
      getting into the hammock from the bottom. With other hammocks, fitting an outer
      shell on is easier.

      > I looked for the info on the Garlington insulator but the link was
      > not working yesterday.

      The site has moved around from time to time. One source is:

      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIoriginal.htm
      and
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIversion2.htm

      which Ed is hosting.

    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
        Less than a pennie's worth from me:

        > > 1. Shane's pad, made of Neat Sheet and thin space blanky and pad.
        > > cannot find the Neat Sheet locally, have trip this weekend,
        > > beginning Thursday, no time to order online.

        I split the Neat Sheet into two layers. It makes a nice 'almost
        vapor barrier' sleeping bag liner and will add some warmth. Of
        course, any sleeping bag liner will do the same, so don't sweat it if
        you can't find the Neat Sheet. It's sold as a picnic item, so you
        may not find them this time of year.

        > > 3. That roll of Reflectix I saw at Lowe's Saturday is calling me.
        >
        > I have tried the Reflectix as a pad and as a supplemental pad. It
        seems a bit
        > colder and heavier to me than the Target Pad. In general, I have
        not had much
        > success with any of the reflective pads, despite some theoretical
        improvements I
        > believed I understood.

        I've made pot cozies out of both Reflectix and leftover Target blue
        foam. I have found that the Blue foam was far supperior to the
        Reflectix at keeping heat inside the cozy. This supports your
        experience. I would suggest that you could try glueing an emergency
        blanket to the bottom of a Target blue foam pad if you think it would
        work. I'm beginning to think, though, that the reflective layer may
        not be as effective in this application as theory would suggest.

        > > 5. Or, for an underquilt, Wal-mart sells down throws for $13. How
        > > about if I take my nice space blanky, hang it under the hammock,
        > > with the down throw in it?
        >
        > If your space blanket is one of the reinforced ones, this may
        (should) work
        > well. The down comforter will be bulky for backpacking, but it
        would keep you
        > warm.

        I use one of the Target down throws on my bed at home. It is a quilt
        through construction which is going to have some cold spots and the
        fabric it's made from will not compress as much as 1.1 oz nylon BUT
        it is surprisingly warm considering the materials used. In the
        backyard with the space blanket underneath it, it would probably be a
        very effective Garlington Insulator. If you could stand the crinkly
        noise all night, you could probably use one of the cheap mylar
        reflective space blankets instead of the nicer one you own. For $5
        you could cut it down or tie stuff to it and not worry about ruining
        it since it's mostly disposable.

        While the temperatures you're going to see are not very cold for many
        of us, for those more accustomed to the winters in the south, 30's
        are pretty cold. I've done 35 F in a Hennessey with an underquilt
        made of thin nylon and .75" of quilt batting, a foam type windshield
        reflector, a neat sheet bag liner and a 35F Primaloft sleeping bag.
        I sleep very cold and I wasn't toasty warm that night, but I was
        comfortable to get some good quality sleep.

        ciyd
      • gtvlfed
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
          I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
          an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
          benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
          air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
          the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
          to pass.

          Jim
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
            Quoting Jim:

            > I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
            > an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
            > benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
            > air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
            > the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
            > to pass.

            Hi Jim,

            I have found considerable advantage with the open quilt-like configuration in a
            hammock. First, it is a bit easier to pull the quilt down over my body with the
            foot box and use the bag as a blanket because I do not need to go through the
            gymnastics of getting into/zipping up the bag. Second, it puts all the bag's
            insulation over me where it is effective, a good reminder that the part of the
            bag under you is not effective. (Insulation under you is either pads or a
            tacoshell or an underquilt or a peapod (or all combined.))

            Using a quilt over me, I have found the insulation effectiveness is greater than
            normally quoted because the thickness of the quilt is well above what is
            normally attained with a bag (like pushing an accordian bellows together.)

            One of the disadvantages of using a bag like a quilt on the ground is that the
            stuff on the ground (leaves, dirt, bugs) end up in my clothes. That may be one
            reason that people have gravitated toward sleeping bags for camping. Another
            advantage of using a quilt in a camping hammock is that the sides of the hammock
            keep the quilt from spreading out. In a tent, the quilt (fueled with my body
            warmth) would tend to warm a large patch of earth as it spread out.

            Others, I am sure, may wish to add their understanding as well.

            Rick
          • firefly