First-time hammocker cool-weather help

  • sjsierra2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hello all -- I am a newbie hammocker -- just got a HH a few weeks
      ago, and I've been looking forward to trying it out on a four-day
      solo over next weekend. The forecasts for next weekend are for temps
      in the 30's in north-central PA, where I'm going. I won't have a
      chance to sleep out in temps that low before I go: we're having a
      warm spell here in Philadelphia, and the nighttime temps aren't going
      below the upper 40's.

      Right now my strategy for staying warm is a 20 degree sleeping bag,
      warm clothing, and a Target blue foam pad. I'll bring a space
      blanket to put between the pad and the hammock for extra insulation
      if needed. Do you think this will be OK?

      (I'm generally a warm sleeper. Saturday night, when I slept out in
      my backyard, I was wearing mid-weight long underwear and was toasty
      in my sleeping bag -- I did put on a fleece vest halfway through the
      night. The low was 48.)

      Thanks for your help. Ordinarily I'd like to test my gear a bit more
      before relying on it for a trip like this, but it just hasn't worked
      out that way.

      Bunchberry
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        Message
        Bunchberry, I'd suggest more warm clothing, such as winter weight long johns &/or fleece sweater and pants PLUS another sleeping pad--maybe a thin inflatable like the ThermARest ultralight. Hopefully this will be overkill, but if not at least you will get a good nights' sleep.  And remember, when it gets too cold for the gear you have--switch to sleeping on the ground and return to the comfort of the hammock when temps go back up...Ed

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Another trick to have up your sleave is to fold the target pad back on itself so
          it is twice as thick. Position it so it is between your shoulders and your bottom.

          Rick

          Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

          > Bunchberry, I'd suggest more warm clothing, such as winter weight long johns
          > &/or fleece sweater and pants PLUS another sleeping pad--maybe a thin
          > inflatable like the ThermARest ultralight. Hopefully this will be overkill,
          > but if not at least you will get a good nights' sleep. And remember, when
          > it gets too cold for the gear you have--switch to sleeping on the ground and
          > return to the comfort of the hammock when temps go back up...Ed

        • sjsierra2002
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            Skylander, Rick, Ed -- This is helpful. I'm trying to walk the line
            between carrying too much stuff (since I'm out for four days solo and
            am trying to keep weight low) and having enough gear to stay warm. I
            would prefer not to carry a second pad. Do others think it'll be
            necessary? I'll definitely have extra clothing.

            If it seems as though the hammock won't work out, I'll bring my
            tarptent instead. But I'm really hoping to be able to do the hammock
            in comfort!

            Thanks to all for your hints.

            Bunchberry

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
            > Another trick to have up your sleave is to fold the target pad back
            on itself so
            > it is twice as thick. Position it so it is between your shoulders
            and your bottom.

            > Rick
            >
            > Quoting Ed Speer <info@s...>:
            >
            > > Bunchberry, I'd suggest more warm clothing, such as winter weight
            long johns
            > > &/or fleece sweater and pants PLUS another sleeping pad--maybe a
            thin
            > > inflatable like the ThermARest ultralight. Hopefully this will be
            overkill,
            > > but if not at least you will get a good nights' sleep. And
            remember, when
            > > it gets too cold for the gear you have--switch to sleeping on the
            ground and
            > > return to the comfort of the hammock when temps go back up...Ed

            Service
            > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • noahjen2000
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
              I too am a warm sleeper. I recently spent a night that got down to 27
              -30 degress. I had a twenty degree bag and a blue target pad. I
              slept in fleece pants, socks, a sweatshirt, jacket, and a warm hat. I
              stayed warm all night.