Hammock Camping Re: Cold Weather dilema

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Peltier <Thomas@G...>
      wrote:
      "On another note I build a double layered hammock and filled it with
      down on my last trip."

      Tom, that's pretty neat. Lot's of questions. What kind of fabrics
      did you use? What kind of stitches? Did this seem to hold up? How
      did this effect the comfort of the hammock? What do you thing will
      be the 'maximum' temperature that your fabric hammock will be
      comfortable at?

      Youngblood
    • Tripp Clark
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
        Well, I did take an use the hammock on the trip from Carver's Gap,
        TN to Dennis Cove Road (Kincora Hostel). What a beautiful section!
        As it turned out, my concerns were totally unwarranted as they are
        experiencing unseasonably warm weather. I did not have a
        thermometer, but I am sure that the temps were no lower than 45 at
        night and the highs were at least upper 70's . . . it was
        incredible! Blue skies, lovely views from the Roan Highlands balds,
        just a toucj of color still clinging to the trees . . . gosh, why
        did I have to come back home!!!

        Tripp
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
          Quoting Tripp Clark <trippclark@...>:

          > Well, I did take an use the hammock on the trip from Carver's Gap,
          > TN to Dennis Cove Road (Kincora Hostel). What a beautiful section!
          > As it turned out, my concerns were totally unwarranted as they are
          > experiencing unseasonably warm weather. I did not have a
          > thermometer, but I am sure that the temps were no lower than 45 at
          > night and the highs were at least upper 70's . . . it was
          > incredible! Blue skies, lovely views from the Roan Highlands balds,
          > just a toucj of color still clinging to the trees . . . gosh, why
          > did I have to come back home!!!
          >
          > Tripp

          Sounds wonderful and I'm jealous and I have to get out and do some more hiking!
          Any pictures to make me feel even worse?

          Rick
        • Tripp Clark
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
            Yes, I took over a hundred digital photos, but not a single hammock
            photo, so I don't know how well they'd fit in this forum. If I load
            any to the web elsewhere, I'll let you know.

            Tripp

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
              Message
              Glad to hear your hike went well Tripp--that really is a beautiful mountain trail.  I'm jealous since I spent the weekend working on the house.  Hope to see ya at the Scout Camporee next weekend...Ed

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 5, 2003
                "I would really love to know how you slung the hammock between those
                boulders. You must have had a lot of line."

                I was a little bit lucky and a little bit persistent. I did not have
                all that much line with me actually. If I was planing several days
                above tree line I would take more gear. What I did carry was a spectra
                ridge line and two seatbelt webbing tree hugger s. My spectra line is
                about 20 feet long give or take, my hammock is slung right in the middle
                9 feet with directional figure 8 knots. My tree hugger are about 15'
                long and have a loop sewn in each end.

                To my head side a found a boulder pinch were one large boulder was
                leaning on another. I simply wrapped my tree hugger around this and
                passed one loop through the other.
                On my foot side there was only a horn. The horn was fairly positive
                and since my direction of pull was constant and not very dynamic I felt
                comfortable with it. I then attached the static line and pulled it
                tight with a truckers hitch.
                The boulder with the horn came back toward me and off to my right. I
                had to get up once during the night to tighten the line so I would not
                contact the side of the rock. The benefit was a great wind block.
                I do have a background in climbing so I just pretend like I'm
                setting anchors.

                " Tom, that's pretty neat. Lot's of questions. What kind of fabrics
                did you use? What kind of stitches? Did this seem to hold up? How
                did this effect the comfort of the hammock? What do you thing will
                be the 'maximum' temperature that your fabric hammock will be
                comfortable at?

                Youngblood"

                I build my hammock with 1.1 ounce nylon. I used a breathable nylon for
                the top and a non-breathable piece for the bottom (same stuff I made my
                tarp from). the only stitches on the tarp are along the edges. I cut
                the bottom sheet 12 inches wider (or 8 I don't remember (but I have
                notes)) to create the space for the down. Although my girlfriend sewed
                some baffles for it she used the 1.1 oz nylon and the thing was blooming
                heavy and bulky. I ripped out the baffles (she made them self
                contained) and poured the down into the hammock.
                this worked very well except that I did have to get up and fluff the
                down in the middle of the night. If I sew in some sort of baffle set up
                I believe I can cut down on the amount of down and concentrate the down
                were I want it.
                As is the hammock is good probably into the 20's. If I use the same
                amount of down and add baffles I'm betting I can get another ten degrees
                or more. I"m a cool sleeper as well. I believe though that I can get
                this to work just like a sleeping bag. Fill the down to spec for any
                temp ratting you want.
                Some factors to consider still. I am in the arid southern Sierra
                nevadas and their was only a breeze no heavy wind. I definatly have
                some testing to do still.
                As far as the baffles go, I"m thinking about using no see um
                matterial as a 3rd layer and baffleing between that and the bottom on
                the hammock.
                I've also been thinking a lot about a wind break below the hammock.
                This concept was talked about a bit a few months ago. Breaking up the
                wind or air flow under the hammock will go a long way toward staying
                warm I hypothosize.

                Tom
                Pura Vida