Ideas4KeepingWarm

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hi Group,
      I am seeking input on the below options, with the following goals:
      A: Basic pad/insulator which is used most of the time.
      B: Supplemental insulator used during the coldest temps to provide
      additional insulation.

      I successfully used the combination of closed cell Target pad and
      windshield reflector on my trip to Desolation Wilderness in July.
      Temps in the mid to high 40's. (I used my TNF down bag as a quilt
      and foot box.) However, that pad combination is REALLY bulky to
      pack. I am looking for alternatives. Here are the ones I am
      considering, would like feedback:

      1. Shane's pad, made of Neat Sheet and thin space blanky and pad. I
      cannot find the Neat Sheet locally, have trip this weekend,
      beginning Thursday, no time to order online.
      2. I do have a NICE space blanky, but it is huge and I hate to cut
      it. However, that is what I am considering. I am considering cutting
      it to fit the Target pad, which I have already cut. I can just "sew"
      it to the neat sheet and go ahead and order the Neat Sheet online
      and then add later. Advantage of this is that this space blanky is
      not crinkly like the little cheap ones.
      3. That roll of Reflectix I saw at Lowe's Saturday is calling me. I
      plugged "reflectix" into the search engine here and could not tell
      what the consensus was on its value. It's the same stuff used on the
      car reflectors, and by the guy who makes and sells pot cozys.
      Without being attached to cardboard, it would probably be easier to
      roll up with the pad than the windshield reflector. Does this sound
      like a better alternative than the space blanky? OR:
      4. For really colder weather, should I use the reflectix as an
      underquilt, in addition to some combination of the above? I am going
      to be sleeping in the hammock in my parents' back yard Thanksgiving
      in North Louisiana and it does get cold up there. Temps in the the
      30s in late November are common and I don't want to sleep with my
      sister.
      5. Or, for an underquilt, Wal-mart sells down throws for $13. How
      about if I take my nice space blanky, hang it under the hammock,
      with the down throw in it?

      I looked for the info on the Garlington insulator but the link was
      not working yesterday.

      Thanks in advance for your feedback!

      MARSANNE
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
        A few cents from my experience so far:

        Quoting canoetrip_2000 <firefly@...>:

        > I successfully used the combination of closed cell Target pad and
        > windshield reflector on my trip to Desolation Wilderness in July.
        > Temps in the mid to high 40's. (I used my TNF down bag as a quilt
        > and foot box.) However, that pad combination is REALLY bulky to
        > pack.

        I find the target pad packs without much fuss as a "cylinder frame" in my
        frameless backpacks. My favorite way to use the pad presently is as an "overlap
        pad." See http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm for details. BTW, I am
        presently comfortable down to about 25F (at least) with the target pad used as
        an overlap and a down sleeping bag... so this might be enough for your LA trip.

        I am looking for alternatives. Here are the ones I am
        > considering, would like feedback:
        >
        > 1. Shane's pad, made of Neat Sheet and thin space blanky and pad. I
        > cannot find the Neat Sheet locally, have trip this weekend,
        > beginning Thursday, no time to order online.

        Someone said that WalMart has the neat sheets... however I have no experience
        with them, so you are on your own with it.

        > 2. I do have a NICE space blanky, but it is huge and I hate to cut
        > it. However, that is what I am considering. I am considering cutting
        > it to fit the Target pad, which I have already cut. I can just "sew"
        > it to the neat sheet and go ahead and order the Neat Sheet online
        > and then add later. Advantage of this is that this space blanky is
        > not crinkly like the little cheap ones.
        > 3. That roll of Reflectix I saw at Lowe's Saturday is calling me. I
        > plugged "reflectix" into the search engine here and could not tell
        > what the consensus was on its value. It's the same stuff used on the
        > car reflectors, and by the guy who makes and sells pot cozys.
        > Without being attached to cardboard, it would probably be easier to
        > roll up with the pad than the windshield reflector. Does this sound
        > like a better alternative than the space blanky? OR:

        I have tried the Reflectix as a pad and as a supplemental pad. It seems a bit
        colder and heavier to me than the Target Pad. In general, I have not had much
        success with any of the reflective pads, despite some theoretical improvements I
        believed I understood.

        > 4. For really colder weather, should I use the reflectix as an
        > underquilt, in addition to some combination of the above? I am going
        > to be sleeping in the hammock in my parents' back yard Thanksgiving
        > in North Louisiana and it does get cold up there. Temps in the the
        > 30s in late November are common and I don't want to sleep with my
        > sister.
        > 5. Or, for an underquilt, Wal-mart sells down throws for $13. How
        > about if I take my nice space blanky, hang it under the hammock,
        > with the down throw in it?

        If your space blanket is one of the reinforced ones, this may (should) work
        well. The down comforter will be bulky for backpacking, but it would keep you
        warm. If you find a way to hang that "space blanky" so that it hangs away from
        the hammock and you keep air from billowing in and out of it along the edges and
        ends, you essentially have a "taco shell/Garlington type" insulator. Ray's
        insulator was originally designed for the HH, to allow one to pull it up after
        getting into the hammock from the bottom. With other hammocks, fitting an outer
        shell on is easier.

        > I looked for the info on the Garlington insulator but the link was
        > not working yesterday.

        The site has moved around from time to time. One source is:

        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIoriginal.htm
        and
        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIversion2.htm

        which Ed is hosting.

      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
          Less than a pennie's worth from me:

          > > 1. Shane's pad, made of Neat Sheet and thin space blanky and pad.
          > > cannot find the Neat Sheet locally, have trip this weekend,
          > > beginning Thursday, no time to order online.

          I split the Neat Sheet into two layers. It makes a nice 'almost
          vapor barrier' sleeping bag liner and will add some warmth. Of
          course, any sleeping bag liner will do the same, so don't sweat it if
          you can't find the Neat Sheet. It's sold as a picnic item, so you
          may not find them this time of year.

          > > 3. That roll of Reflectix I saw at Lowe's Saturday is calling me.
          >
          > I have tried the Reflectix as a pad and as a supplemental pad. It
          seems a bit
          > colder and heavier to me than the Target Pad. In general, I have
          not had much
          > success with any of the reflective pads, despite some theoretical
          improvements I
          > believed I understood.

          I've made pot cozies out of both Reflectix and leftover Target blue
          foam. I have found that the Blue foam was far supperior to the
          Reflectix at keeping heat inside the cozy. This supports your
          experience. I would suggest that you could try glueing an emergency
          blanket to the bottom of a Target blue foam pad if you think it would
          work. I'm beginning to think, though, that the reflective layer may
          not be as effective in this application as theory would suggest.

          > > 5. Or, for an underquilt, Wal-mart sells down throws for $13. How
          > > about if I take my nice space blanky, hang it under the hammock,
          > > with the down throw in it?
          >
          > If your space blanket is one of the reinforced ones, this may
          (should) work
          > well. The down comforter will be bulky for backpacking, but it
          would keep you
          > warm.

          I use one of the Target down throws on my bed at home. It is a quilt
          through construction which is going to have some cold spots and the
          fabric it's made from will not compress as much as 1.1 oz nylon BUT
          it is surprisingly warm considering the materials used. In the
          backyard with the space blanket underneath it, it would probably be a
          very effective Garlington Insulator. If you could stand the crinkly
          noise all night, you could probably use one of the cheap mylar
          reflective space blankets instead of the nicer one you own. For $5
          you could cut it down or tie stuff to it and not worry about ruining
          it since it's mostly disposable.

          While the temperatures you're going to see are not very cold for many
          of us, for those more accustomed to the winters in the south, 30's
          are pretty cold. I've done 35 F in a Hennessey with an underquilt
          made of thin nylon and .75" of quilt batting, a foam type windshield
          reflector, a neat sheet bag liner and a 35F Primaloft sleeping bag.
          I sleep very cold and I wasn't toasty warm that night, but I was
          comfortable to get some good quality sleep.

          ciyd
        • gtvlfed
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
            I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
            an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
            benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
            air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
            the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
            to pass.

            Jim
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
              Quoting Jim:

              > I keep reading about a preference for using a pad/quilt underneath and
              > an open sleeping bag as a blanket. Could someone please describe the
              > benefits of this configuration? It would seem that the drafts of cold
              > air would have to be a disadvantage... and with any movement through
              > the night, there would almost certainly be openings for the cold air
              > to pass.

              Hi Jim,

              I have found considerable advantage with the open quilt-like configuration in a
              hammock. First, it is a bit easier to pull the quilt down over my body with the
              foot box and use the bag as a blanket because I do not need to go through the
              gymnastics of getting into/zipping up the bag. Second, it puts all the bag's
              insulation over me where it is effective, a good reminder that the part of the
              bag under you is not effective. (Insulation under you is either pads or a
              tacoshell or an underquilt or a peapod (or all combined.))

              Using a quilt over me, I have found the insulation effectiveness is greater than
              normally quoted because the thickness of the quilt is well above what is
              normally attained with a bag (like pushing an accordian bellows together.)

              One of the disadvantages of using a bag like a quilt on the ground is that the
              stuff on the ground (leaves, dirt, bugs) end up in my clothes. That may be one
              reason that people have gravitated toward sleeping bags for camping. Another
              advantage of using a quilt in a camping hammock is that the sides of the hammock
              keep the quilt from spreading out. In a tent, the quilt (fueled with my body
              warmth) would tend to warm a large patch of earth as it spread out.

              Others, I am sure, may wish to add their understanding as well.

              Rick
            • firefly