RE: Hammock Camping Re: Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22-23

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 2, 2003
      Message
      We'll be looking for you White Knight!  ...Ed
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
        Hi, Ed. I'm sorry I won't be able to make this one - this is a
        beautiful area in northeast GA/SC. I posted a couple of pics
        ('Steve' folder) from the area. My son and I hiked on the Chattooga
        just south of the section you're doing last November with his boy
        scout troop, then I went with a group of guys (and my pup) from
        church in January on the section you're doing - notice the shorts
        and t-shirt! Enjoy the weekend and the hike - it's beautiful
        country!

        Steve
        (now hiking in the cold, cold north.....)

        > Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!
        >
        > Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina
        >
        > Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again
        > the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the SC-
        GA
        > state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
        > expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the
        experts
        > and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your PeaPods,
        > GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-
        filled
        > air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under
        quilts,
        > vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
        > clothes will also be in order and each camper must be responsible
        for
        > his/her own gear.
        >
        > Needless to say, attendees should be experienced in cold-weather
        > hammocking.  However, those still learning cold-weather
        techniques
        > are welcome, but should be properly prepared--some useful
        information
        > can be found at these sources:
        >
        > ·Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort,
        Convenience

        www.hammockcamping.com
        > oHow To Stay Warm
        > oGarlington Insulator
        > oSpeer Hammock & Big Agnes Zirkel
        > oHammock Tips
        >
        > ·Make your own Down Underquilt at: http://www.thru-
        > hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72
        >
        > ·Make your own LiteLoft Underquilt
        > at: http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/
        >
        > ·Speer PeaPod sleeping bag at:
        > http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm
        >
        > In addition, the archived email posts on the Hammock Camping List
        at:
        > useful information from hammockers who are experimenting with
        their
        > own homemade cold-weather gear.  See also the feature article on
        > sleeping pads in this newsletter.
        >
        > Here's the trip detail
        >
        > Hike:  10.4 mi (or less if group decides to) on South Carolina's
        > Foothills Trail.  Easy-moderate trail section that follows the
        > Chattooga River.  Scenic/historic mountain river that separates
        > Georgia and South Carolina.  Popular rafting river; locale for
        > movie 'Deliverance'.  We will hike in about 5 mi and camp Sat
        night,
        > then hike out on Sun.  End of hike is trailhead at junction of
        SC
        107
        > and Cheohee Road (Forest Service road 710), about 6 mi north of
        > Oconee State Park.  Depending on time and interest, there is a
        > possible 0.5 mi hike to the highest waterfall in eastern US
        > (Whitewater Falls) on Sun (only 10 mi away via highway).
        >
        > Meet:  Trailhead parking lot on Burrells' Ford Road (Forest
        Service
        > road 708, gravel).  Gather around my white Chevy van (NC
        plates).
        > reach the parking lot, follow Burrells' Ford Road approx 2.5 mi
        west
        > of SC 107 (paved).  The junction of Burrell's Ford Road and SC
        107
        is
        > approx 5 mi south of the NC/SC line on SC 107.  The trailhead
        parking
        > area is approx 1/4 mi before (or east of where) Burrell's Ford
        Road
        > crosses Chattooga River.  We will shuttle one or more vehicles
        the
        > south trailhead about 6-7 mi south on SC 107.  Highway 107
        junctions
        > with SC 28 about 8 mi north of Walhalla, which is about 15 mi
        north
        > of I-85 and 40 mi west of Greenville, SC.
        >
        > Departure from trailhead:  12:00 noon Sat.  Hike south (down
        river)
        > on Foothills Trail
        >
        > Campsite Sat night:  Group decision--good riverside camp choices
        at
        > 2, 5 & 5.5 mi.  Hammock hangers will have to scout for trees
        (easy).
        > We will camp inside the Chattooga Wild and Scenic River Corridor
        > where Leave No Trace restrictions apply.  Campfires (small)
        allowed
        > only in established campsite fire rings; bring your own camp
        stoves.

        > Misc: Oconee State Park (w/ campground) is located nearby on SC
        107.
        > Primitive camping in Forest Service campground is available near
        our
        > trailhead parking area on Burrell's Ford Road (short 1/4 mi walk-
        > in).   Expect 20-50F degrees, pack for 10-20 degrees; hope for
        50-
        > 70!  Bring trail lunches for Sat and Sun, dinner Sat, &
        breakfast
        > Sun.  Hike will be cancelled only if highways are too icy for
        safe
        > travel--each hiker should make their own decision.  Late
        arrivals
        can
        > still probably find us as we will be camped somewhere along the
        > Foothills Trail (probably the campsite at 2, 5, or 5.5 mi).
        Longer

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
          Message
          Thanks for the pics Steve.  The section of the Foothills Trail we're hiking really is scenic.  It's the Chattoogna River section, famous for the movie 'Deliverence'.  Hope you can make the next trip...Ed

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
            Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
            fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
            message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any questions.
            Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more are
            expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
            we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed

            > Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!
            >
            > Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina
            >
            > Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again to
            > the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the SC-
            GA
            > state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
            > expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the
            experts
            > and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your PeaPods,
            > GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-
            filled
            > air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under quilts,
            > vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
            > clothes will also be in order and each camper must be responsible
            for
            > his/her own gear.
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
              I'll second the area is nice. I wont be able to make it. I'll be
              eating turkey at my wifes moms on night and at ball games the
              other. Yall have fun and watch for falling trees. Ed is a a magnet
              for them.

              Coy Boy

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                Message
                We'll miss ya this time Coy--was hoping you could make it again.  Sounds like you're going to be hitting the Turkey early--Thanksgiving's not till the 27th.  Don't over eat LOL!  ...Ed
                I'll second the area is nice.  I wont be able to make it.  I'll be
                eating turkey at my wifes moms on night and at ball games the
                other.  Yall have fun and watch for falling trees.  Ed is a a magnet
                for them.

                Coy Boy

                > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming
                up
                > fast--Nov 22-23!  Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend.  See
                > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                questions.
                > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                are
                > expected as the date draws near.  If you let me know you're
                coming,
                > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...>
                wrote:
                > > Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!
                > >
                > > Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina
                > >
                > > Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again
                > > the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the
                SC-
                > GA
                > > state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
                > > expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the
                > experts
                > > and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your
                PeaPods,
                > > GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-
                > filled
                > > air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under
                quilts,
                > > vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
                > > clothes will also be in order and each camper must be
                responsible
                > for
                > > his/her own gear.

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                  Actually I hadn't looked to see when thanksgiving was. Anways
                  looking at my scedual and realizing when thanksgiving is I still
                  wont be able to make it. I will be in Ga visiting relatives on the
                  22nd and have been informed we will be eating turkey so yes I'll be
                  eating turkey early then again a week later. Life is good! Maybe
                  next time. Yall have fun.

                  Coy Boy
                  PS I promice not to over eat. I will be on my see food diet.

                  > We'll miss ya this time Coy--was hoping you could make it again.
                  Sounds
                  > like you're going to be hitting the Turkey early--Thanksgiving's
                  not till
                  > the 27th. Don't over eat LOL! ...Ed

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                  7050658
                  > 43:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
                  bin/autoredir?
                  > camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>
                  >
                  > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                  M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                    Ed,

                    I won't be able to make it. I have a previous commitment to a hike
                    around Blood Mountain on the 23rd as part of an AT thru-hikers
                    workshop. I really wish I could have made it, that is a great
                    section of trail and anyone who gets the chance should go by Upper
                    Whitewater Falls and check out the waterfall.

                    Dave
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                      Message
                      Blood Mountain isn't a bad alternative--but we'll miss ya Dave.  Just wish I could get out hiking as much as you do...Ed

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                        > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
                        > fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
                        > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                        questions.
                        > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                        are
                        > expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
                        > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed

                        Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                        weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                        heading out Friday morning, rain or not.

                        ciyd
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                          Message
                          Thanks for posting Ciyd--hopefully you're get some fellow hangers...Ed

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                            To clarify, I'm headed out Thanksgiving weekend, on Friday, not this
                            coming weekend.

                            I wish I could meet up with ya'll in the SE, but the drive is a bit
                            too long :-)

                            ciyd

                            > Thanks for posting Ciyd--hopefully you're get some fellow
                            hangers...Ed

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c0vqol0/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=
                            egroup

                            web/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1068658073/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.c
                            om/Def
                            > ault?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here
                            >
                            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                            M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
                            > l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=933203492>

                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                          • Mirage
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                              > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                              > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                              > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                              >
                              > ciyd

                              Bummer....

                              This weekend is the start of craft fairs for my wife (she sews kids
                              dress up clothes/costumes if anyone is interested...) and I don't
                              think my 4 and 2 year olds will hold up to this kind of
                              camping/hiking yet...

                              My 7 year old would love it though. Too bad, but I'll have to beg
                              out this weekend.

                              Where were you thinking of going?

                              Shane "Mirage"...
                            • ciyd01
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                Actually, I meant Thanksgiving weekend. T-Day will be for hanging
                                out with friends and eating. Friday, I'm headed out to burn off some
                                of that gravy.

                                I was thinking about somewhere in Southwestern Washington or
                                Northwest Oregon. Low altitude, no snow, that sort of thing. If a
                                group wants to get together, we could do one of the many nice state
                                parks and do some dayhiking.

                                ciyd

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <web_dawg@y...> wrote:
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                                > > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                                > > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                                > > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                                > >
                                > > ciyd
                                >
                                > Bummer....
                                >
                                > This weekend is the start of craft fairs for my wife (she sews kids
                                > dress up clothes/costumes if anyone is interested...) and I don't
                                > think my 4 and 2 year olds will hold up to this kind of
                                > camping/hiking yet...
                                >
                                > My 7 year old would love it though. Too bad, but I'll have to beg
                                > out this weekend.
                                >
                                > Where were you thinking of going?
                                >
                                > Shane "Mirage"...
                              • Jay Willis
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                  ciyd01 wrote:

                                  > > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
                                  > > fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
                                  > > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                                  > questions.
                                  > > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                                  > are
                                  > > expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
                                  > > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed
                                  >
                                  > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                                  > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                                  > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                                  >
                                  > ciyd

                                  Ciyd, I'll be hanging out at Climber's Bivouac with a Boy Scout Troop. We'll
                                  be climbing Mt. St. Helens bright 'n early Saturday morning. Come on up if
                                  you're in the area. This will be my first test of my underquilt.
                                • subypower
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                    well Ed, i see who all is brave or stupid enough to join us next
                                    weekend.

                                    also Ed when you send the guide book can you send me one of your
                                    books too, i asked you the other day to bring one with you but could
                                    you just send it with the other stuff and i will have money for ya
                                    saturday( or call me for cc number) 443 850 7194

                                    white knight
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                      Message
                                      Whitenight--the trail map went out today, but the PO was not operating due to the holiday.  I can also send a Hammock Camping book tomorrow.  You can pay $19.95 via PayPal w/ your credit card if you wish--I can send a PayPal invoice.  Or just let me know and I will call you tomorrow if you prefer.

                                      I only sent the trail map since it is the new one--very good and much better than the old guidebook.

                                      Ed

                                      Hammock Camping  (the book)  ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                                      The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                                      also FREE Reports!  FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!

                                      Speer Hammocks, Inc
                                      Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                                      34 Clear Creek Road
                                      Marion, NC 28752-6407
                                      828.724.4444

                                      Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                                      free online newsletter

                                      Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                                      a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 17, 2003
                                        We're looking forward to meeting everyone on this weekends' Southeast
                                        Hammock Hangers Association campout! The weather forcast is looking
                                        good with mild temps and no rain--70s/40s! This may be the last warm
                                        weekend of the season before the winter cold sets in....Happy
                                        Hammocking everyone...Ed