Re: Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22-23

  • subypower
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hello, all

      Ed and others who will be doing the nov 22 hike. I will be driving
      down on wendsday after work from Maryland to S C getting to the trail
      head at some point on thursday and enjoying the nice warm S C weather
      ( compared to MD in Nov. ). Then spend 2 days camping till every body
      else gets there, but i will hike out to meet you all, if any one else
      wants to make this a 3 night hike for themselves as well please let
      me know and if you are coming from up north i am willing to carpool.

      feel free to email me at a9144me@... or call at 443 850 7194

      scott

      aka white knight
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 2, 2003
        Message
        We'll be looking for you White Knight!  ...Ed

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
          Hi, Ed. I'm sorry I won't be able to make this one - this is a
          beautiful area in northeast GA/SC. I posted a couple of pics
          ('Steve' folder) from the area. My son and I hiked on the Chattooga
          just south of the section you're doing last November with his boy
          scout troop, then I went with a group of guys (and my pup) from
          church in January on the section you're doing - notice the shorts
          and t-shirt! Enjoy the weekend and the hike - it's beautiful
          country!

          Steve
          (now hiking in the cold, cold north.....)

          > Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!
          >
          > Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina
          >
          > Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again
          > the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the SC-
          GA
          > state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
          > expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the
          experts
          > and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your PeaPods,
          > GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-
          filled
          > air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under
          quilts,
          > vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
          > clothes will also be in order and each camper must be responsible
          for
          > his/her own gear.
          >
          > Needless to say, attendees should be experienced in cold-weather
          > hammocking.  However, those still learning cold-weather
          techniques
          > are welcome, but should be properly prepared--some useful
          information
          > can be found at these sources:
          >
          > ·Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort,
          Convenience

          www.hammockcamping.com
          > oHow To Stay Warm
          > oGarlington Insulator
          > oSpeer Hammock & Big Agnes Zirkel
          > oHammock Tips
          >
          > ·Make your own Down Underquilt at: http://www.thru-
          > hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72
          >
          > ·Make your own LiteLoft Underquilt
          > at: http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/
          >
          > ·Speer PeaPod sleeping bag at:
          > http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm
          >
          > In addition, the archived email posts on the Hammock Camping List
          at:
          > useful information from hammockers who are experimenting with
          their
          > own homemade cold-weather gear.  See also the feature article on
          > sleeping pads in this newsletter.
          >
          > Here's the trip detail
          >
          > Hike:  10.4 mi (or less if group decides to) on South Carolina's
          > Foothills Trail.  Easy-moderate trail section that follows the
          > Chattooga River.  Scenic/historic mountain river that separates
          > Georgia and South Carolina.  Popular rafting river; locale for
          > movie 'Deliverance'.  We will hike in about 5 mi and camp Sat
          night,
          > then hike out on Sun.  End of hike is trailhead at junction of
          SC
          107
          > and Cheohee Road (Forest Service road 710), about 6 mi north of
          > Oconee State Park.  Depending on time and interest, there is a
          > possible 0.5 mi hike to the highest waterfall in eastern US
          > (Whitewater Falls) on Sun (only 10 mi away via highway).
          >
          > Meet:  Trailhead parking lot on Burrells' Ford Road (Forest
          Service
          > road 708, gravel).  Gather around my white Chevy van (NC
          plates).
          > reach the parking lot, follow Burrells' Ford Road approx 2.5 mi
          west
          > of SC 107 (paved).  The junction of Burrell's Ford Road and SC
          107
          is
          > approx 5 mi south of the NC/SC line on SC 107.  The trailhead
          parking
          > area is approx 1/4 mi before (or east of where) Burrell's Ford
          Road
          > crosses Chattooga River.  We will shuttle one or more vehicles
          the
          > south trailhead about 6-7 mi south on SC 107.  Highway 107
          junctions
          > with SC 28 about 8 mi north of Walhalla, which is about 15 mi
          north
          > of I-85 and 40 mi west of Greenville, SC.
          >
          > Departure from trailhead:  12:00 noon Sat.  Hike south (down
          river)
          > on Foothills Trail
          >
          > Campsite Sat night:  Group decision--good riverside camp choices
          at
          > 2, 5 & 5.5 mi.  Hammock hangers will have to scout for trees
          (easy).
          > We will camp inside the Chattooga Wild and Scenic River Corridor
          > where Leave No Trace restrictions apply.  Campfires (small)
          allowed
          > only in established campsite fire rings; bring your own camp
          stoves.

          > Misc: Oconee State Park (w/ campground) is located nearby on SC
          107.
          > Primitive camping in Forest Service campground is available near
          our
          > trailhead parking area on Burrell's Ford Road (short 1/4 mi walk-
          > in).   Expect 20-50F degrees, pack for 10-20 degrees; hope for
          50-
          > 70!  Bring trail lunches for Sat and Sun, dinner Sat, &
          breakfast
          > Sun.  Hike will be cancelled only if highways are too icy for
          safe
          > travel--each hiker should make their own decision.  Late
          arrivals
          can
          > still probably find us as we will be camped somewhere along the
          > Foothills Trail (probably the campsite at 2, 5, or 5.5 mi).
          Longer

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
            Message
            Thanks for the pics Steve.  The section of the Foothills Trail we're hiking really is scenic.  It's the Chattoogna River section, famous for the movie 'Deliverence'.  Hope you can make the next trip...Ed

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
              Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
              fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
              message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any questions.
              Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more are
              expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
              we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed

              > Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!
              >
              > Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina
              >
              > Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again to
              > the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the SC-
              GA
              > state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
              > expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the
              experts
              > and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your PeaPods,
              > GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-
              filled
              > air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under quilts,
              > vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
              > clothes will also be in order and each camper must be responsible
              for
              > his/her own gear.
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                I'll second the area is nice. I wont be able to make it. I'll be
                eating turkey at my wifes moms on night and at ball games the
                other. Yall have fun and watch for falling trees. Ed is a a magnet
                for them.

                Coy Boy

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                  Message
                  We'll miss ya this time Coy--was hoping you could make it again.  Sounds like you're going to be hitting the Turkey early--Thanksgiving's not till the 27th.  Don't over eat LOL!  ...Ed
                  I'll second the area is nice.  I wont be able to make it.  I'll be
                  eating turkey at my wifes moms on night and at ball games the
                  other.  Yall have fun and watch for falling trees.  Ed is a a magnet
                  for them.

                  Coy Boy

                  > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming
                  up
                  > fast--Nov 22-23!  Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend.  See
                  > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                  questions.
                  > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                  are
                  > expected as the date draws near.  If you let me know you're
                  coming,
                  > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed
                  >

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!
                  > >
                  > > Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina
                  > >
                  > > Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again
                  > > the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the
                  SC-
                  > GA
                  > > state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
                  > > expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the
                  > experts
                  > > and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your
                  PeaPods,
                  > > GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-
                  > filled
                  > > air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under
                  quilts,
                  > > vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
                  > > clothes will also be in order and each camper must be
                  responsible
                  > for
                  > > his/her own gear.

                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                    Actually I hadn't looked to see when thanksgiving was. Anways
                    looking at my scedual and realizing when thanksgiving is I still
                    wont be able to make it. I will be in Ga visiting relatives on the
                    22nd and have been informed we will be eating turkey so yes I'll be
                    eating turkey early then again a week later. Life is good! Maybe
                    next time. Yall have fun.

                    Coy Boy
                    PS I promice not to over eat. I will be on my see food diet.

                    > We'll miss ya this time Coy--was hoping you could make it again.
                    Sounds
                    > like you're going to be hitting the Turkey early--Thanksgiving's
                    not till
                    > the 27th. Don't over eat LOL! ...Ed

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                    7050658
                    > 43:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
                    bin/autoredir?
                    > camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>
                    >
                    > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                    M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                      Ed,

                      I won't be able to make it. I have a previous commitment to a hike
                      around Blood Mountain on the 23rd as part of an AT thru-hikers
                      workshop. I really wish I could have made it, that is a great
                      section of trail and anyone who gets the chance should go by Upper
                      Whitewater Falls and check out the waterfall.

                      Dave
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                        Message
                        Blood Mountain isn't a bad alternative--but we'll miss ya Dave.  Just wish I could get out hiking as much as you do...Ed

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                          > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
                          > fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
                          > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                          questions.
                          > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                          are
                          > expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
                          > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed

                          Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                          weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                          heading out Friday morning, rain or not.

                          ciyd
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                            Message
                            Thanks for posting Ciyd--hopefully you're get some fellow hangers...Ed

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                              To clarify, I'm headed out Thanksgiving weekend, on Friday, not this
                              coming weekend.

                              I wish I could meet up with ya'll in the SE, but the drive is a bit
                              too long :-)

                              ciyd

                              > Thanks for posting Ciyd--hopefully you're get some fellow
                              hangers...Ed

                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c0vqol0/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=
                              egroup

                              web/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1068658073/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.c
                              om/Def
                              > ault?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here
                              >
                              > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                              M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
                              > l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=933203492>

                              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                            • Mirage
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                                > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                                > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                                > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                                >
                                > ciyd

                                Bummer....

                                This weekend is the start of craft fairs for my wife (she sews kids
                                dress up clothes/costumes if anyone is interested...) and I don't
                                think my 4 and 2 year olds will hold up to this kind of
                                camping/hiking yet...

                                My 7 year old would love it though. Too bad, but I'll have to beg
                                out this weekend.

                                Where were you thinking of going?

                                Shane "Mirage"...
                              • ciyd01
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                  Actually, I meant Thanksgiving weekend. T-Day will be for hanging
                                  out with friends and eating. Friday, I'm headed out to burn off some
                                  of that gravy.

                                  I was thinking about somewhere in Southwestern Washington or
                                  Northwest Oregon. Low altitude, no snow, that sort of thing. If a
                                  group wants to get together, we could do one of the many nice state
                                  parks and do some dayhiking.

                                  ciyd

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <web_dawg@y...> wrote:
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                                  > > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                                  > > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                                  > > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                                  > >
                                  > > ciyd
                                  >
                                  > Bummer....
                                  >
                                  > This weekend is the start of craft fairs for my wife (she sews kids
                                  > dress up clothes/costumes if anyone is interested...) and I don't
                                  > think my 4 and 2 year olds will hold up to this kind of
                                  > camping/hiking yet...
                                  >
                                  > My 7 year old would love it though. Too bad, but I'll have to beg
                                  > out this weekend.
                                  >
                                  > Where were you thinking of going?
                                  >
                                  > Shane "Mirage"...
                                • Jay Willis
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                    ciyd01 wrote:

                                    > > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
                                    > > fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
                                    > > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                                    > questions.
                                    > > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                                    > are
                                    > > expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
                                    > > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed
                                    >
                                    > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                                    > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                                    > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                                    >
                                    > ciyd

                                    Ciyd, I'll be hanging out at Climber's Bivouac with a Boy Scout Troop. We'll
                                    be climbing Mt. St. Helens bright 'n early Saturday morning. Come on up if
                                    you're in the area. This will be my first test of my underquilt.
                                  • subypower
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                      well Ed, i see who all is brave or stupid enough to join us next
                                      weekend.

                                      also Ed when you send the guide book can you send me one of your
                                      books too, i asked you the other day to bring one with you but could
                                      you just send it with the other stuff and i will have money for ya
                                      saturday( or call me for cc number) 443 850 7194

                                      white knight
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                        Message
                                        Whitenight--the trail map went out today, but the PO was not operating due to the holiday.  I can also send a Hammock Camping book tomorrow.  You can pay $19.95 via PayPal w/ your credit card if you wish--I can send a PayPal invoice.  Or just let me know and I will call you tomorrow if you prefer.

                                        I only sent the trail map since it is the new one--very good and much better than the old guidebook.

                                        Ed

                                        Hammock Camping  (the book)  ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                                        The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                                        also FREE Reports!  FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!

                                        Speer Hammocks, Inc
                                        Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                                        34 Clear Creek Road
                                        Marion, NC 28752-6407
                                        828.724.4444

                                        Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                                        free online newsletter

                                        Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                                        a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 17, 2003
                                          We're looking forward to meeting everyone on this weekends' Southeast
                                          Hammock Hangers Association campout! The weather forcast is looking
                                          good with mild temps and no rain--70s/40s! This may be the last warm
                                          weekend of the season before the winter cold sets in....Happy
                                          Hammocking everyone...Ed