Cold Weather dilema

  • Tripp Clark
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
      Well folks I am finally getting ready to do another AT section this
      weekend and can't wait! We'll do a 36-38 mile (new relocation makes
      this kinda fuzzy) between Carver's Gap, TN/NC and Dennis Cove. I've
      gotten in way too little backpacking this year, so I am excited
      about the trip. As a bonus, the forecast looks good, but I know
      that those highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's are for the lower
      elevations and that I can expect a little more seasonal weather.
      So, I'm getting bummed about my shelter. I have really gotten
      spoiled these last 9 months since getting my Hennessy Hammock. Last
      night I got out my Hammock and my tent, and as much as I **want** to
      take my hammock, I know that I really **should** take my tent. I
      just can't bear the thought of loading that 4 lb tent that equals
      hard ground when I have a 2 lb hammock that is SOOOOO comfortable.
      Of course, if I am freezing to death, I guess it won't be that
      comfy, huh!? Ed Speer's peapod system is looking better and
      better! I did get to try it out (after buying my HH) and do like
      the peapod feature alot!

      Hey, maybe if I just take 2 lbs worth of extra clothes to sleep in,
      I can take the hammock and get the comfort for the same weight as
      the tent!!!!

      Gosh, it is really tough to move back to a tent. I already can't
      wait for spring!!!
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tripp Clark"
        <trippclark@m...> wrote:
        > night I got out my Hammock and my tent, and as much as I **want**
        > take my hammock, I know that I really **should** take my tent. I
        > just can't bear the thought of loading that 4 lb tent that equals
        > hard ground when I have a 2 lb hammock that is SOOOOO comfortable.
        > Of course, if I am freezing to death, I guess it won't be that
        > comfy, huh!?

        If you have a 6x8 tarp you could fashion an under shell and add
        insulation there. Take a look at the garlington insulator pages.
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
          Message
          Tripp have you seen the Nov issue of Hammock Camping News yet?  Just posted it yesterday, but it has an article on using pads to stay warm in hammocks--you might find just the solution you're looking for.  Try:  http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm
          ...Ed

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
            <trippclark@m...> wrote:
            > Hey, maybe if I just take 2 lbs worth of extra clothes to sleep in,
            > I can take the hammock and get the comfort for the same weight as
            > the tent!!!!

            Why not take 2 lbs of extra sleeping bag and attach it to the bottom
            of the hammock with either a tarp or binder clips or whatever. A DIY
            pea pod! Don't underestimate the underquilt/pea pod effectiveness.

            ciyd
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
              Quoting ciyd01 <ciyd@...>:
              attach it to the bottom
              > of the hammock with either a tarp or binder clips or

              Hi Ciyd,

              Would you consider taking that rig out in the wind and let me know how the
              binder clips do? I'm guessing they may come undone at about 15 mph of wind, but
              I might be surprised. Experiments outside have been much more useful to me than
              my sitting down and doing it in my head.

              Rick
            • Tripp Clark
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
                Thanks Ed. Yes, read this with interest. I am a cold sleeper as
                you are. I own a full z-rest and a Walmart knock-off of a
                thermarest, plus the windshield reflector/neat sheet that you have
                seen. I may still try to work out something with these elements or
                maybe add a Target pad into the mix (Target is on the way home
                tonight). Admittedly, however, I'd feel better testing a system at
                or nearer to home. On the trail a good night's sleep -- or lack of -
                - can have a big impact on the next day's miles! I'll probably
                switch back and forth (tent v hammock) for the next 24 hours until
                the trip.

                I have had trouble in the past with pads sliding around and saw your
                suggestion to put that non-slip shelf liner stuff on the pad -- good
                idea -- but how do you attach it to the pad? Some type of glue??
                The stuff that I think you are talking about is not adhesive.

                Tripp

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
                  Message
                  Tripp, the rubberized shelf liner works fine just placed between the slippery pad and the hammock nylon--it sticks to both thus does not have to be attached!  Wal-Mart sells the stuff for $0.92/5' length--you only need about 24" length!  Probably weighs only an ounce or two....Ed

                  Thanks Ed.  Yes, read this with interest.  I am a cold sleeper as
                  you are.  I own a full z-rest and a Walmart knock-off of a
                  thermarest, plus the windshield reflector/neat sheet that you have
                  seen.  I may still try to work out something with these elements or
                  maybe add a Target pad into the mix (Target is on the way home
                  tonight).  Admittedly, however, I'd feel better testing a system at
                  or nearer to home.  On the trail a good night's sleep -- or lack of -
                  - can have a big impact on the next day's miles!  I'll probably
                  switch back and forth (tent v hammock) for the next 24 hours until
                  the trip.

                  I have had trouble in the past with pads sliding around and saw your
                  suggestion to put that non-slip shelf liner stuff on the pad -- good
                  idea -- but how do you attach it to the pad?  Some type of glue??
                  The stuff that I think you are talking about is not adhesive.

                  Tripp

                  > Tripp have you seen the Nov issue of Hammock Camping News yet?
                  Just posted
                  > it yesterday, but it has an article on using pads to stay warm in
                  > hammocks--you might find just the solution you're looking for.
                  Try:
                  > http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm
                  > ...Ed

                • Tripp Clark
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
                    Thanks Ed! I already have a roll at home. I'll give this a
                    try . . . maybe this weekend.

                    I also have at home a "mantle" for an old Wilderness Experience bag
                    (formerly "Blue Ice"), circa 1983-84. This is an added layer of
                    sleeping bag that zipped onto the mummy bag on the top side only and
                    added, I think, 15 or 20 degrees to the rating. This thing is
                    hardly used, because the base bag was usually all that I needed, so
                    in spite of its age, it still has very good loft. It is synthetic
                    fill, but pretty light. If I could rig a way to attach it to the
                    outside bottom of the hammock -- maybe using a tarp as others have
                    suggested -- that may just work. I need to give this some thought!

                    > Tripp, the rubberized shelf liner works fine just placed between
                    the
                    > slippery pad and the hammock nylon--it sticks to both thus does
                    not have to
                    > be attached! Wal-Mart sells the stuff for $0.92/5' length--you
                    only need
                    > about 24" length! Probably weighs only an ounce or two....Ed

                  • Thomas Peltier
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
                      I used binder clips with a neat sheet on a trip not long ago. The clips
                      will come unclipped and you have to be a bit careful. The other thing I
                      did was to rig the sheet diagonally from head to toe. This way I had
                      two large wings I tucked into the hammock and under my body. The
                      combination of tucking in and binder clips seemed to do the job well
                      enough.

                      On another note I build a double layered hammock and filled it with down
                      on my last trip. I camped one night at 12,000 feet slung between two
                      boulders and a few nights in the forest at 10,000 feet. Temps got into
                      the 30's and the last day the ground was a bit frozen. I was very warm
                      and snug. On that last night I noticed a cold spot on my rump just
                      before dawn. I had to pee so I got up and allowed the down to resettle
                      and climbed back in warm and snug once again.

                      We spend all day Saturday before the trip building the hammock and my
                      girlfriend attempted to make baffles for the hammock. Her attempts were
                      less than successful (not to bad for a first try). I removed the
                      baffles and just went with a hammock full of down. I know that adding
                      baffles will be the cat's meow for this set up. I will also be able to
                      concentrate the down were in needs to be an cut down on the amount of
                      down I had to use. The biggest problem I had was the size of the
                      hammock with all the down. I was using a small pack and it made things
                      a bit tricky. I have some pictures but I have to get them digitized
                      before I can post them. Hopefully I can overcome that hurtle soon.

                      Tom

                      P.S. I'll post a trip report as soon as I get it done, hopefully tonight.
                    • ciyd01
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 30, 2003
                        > Hi Ciyd,
                        >
                        > Would you consider taking that rig out in the wind and let me know
                        how the
                        > binder clips do?

                        Probably not. I'm spending a lot of time making underquilts. I hope
                        to be getting an idea of how they do in the wind.

                        If I do try this, I will definitely report out the results. You
                        never know, it may work better than we guess.

                        ciyd
                      • Tripp Clark
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 31, 2003
                          Well folks, I am taking the hammock (it is packed) . . . but I am
                          also taking the tent in the car just in case I chicken out at the
                          last minute. Although I definitely want to make or rig up some type
                          of underquilt, either using my Wilderness Experience "mantle" or
                          something else, but without an oppotunity to test it before hand, I
                          opted this time to instead use THREE pads -- Target blue pad (bought
                          last night), Z-rest, and a windshield reflector with neat sheet. I
                          am hoping that will be adequate.

                          We'll drive up tonight and sleep at the trailhead before hiking in
                          the morning. I am planning to try the hammock tonight, and if I am
                          uncomfortably cold, then I'll swap out the hammock and take the tent
                          on the trail.

                          Right now the forecast looks pretty moderate for this time of year,
                          but that can be deceptive.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 31, 2003
                            Message
                            That will probably do it Tripp, but it's good to try it before actually hitting the trail.  Remember you can also put dry leaves INSIDE the hammock for even more insulation!  It should be a great weekend...Ed

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 31, 2003
                              Yep, like you said, "it's good to try it before actually hitting the
                              trail." I figure that tonight I'll camp at the highest elevation of
                              the weeekend and will still be at the car (if I stay where I intend
                              each night), so if I sleep warm tonight, I likely will be okay. If
                              not, I'll bail and use the tent on this hike and then work on
                              improving the system for next time!

                              > That will probably do it Tripp, but it's good to try it before
                              actually
                              > hitting the trail. Remember you can also put dry leaves INSIDE
                              the hammock
                              > for even more insulation! It should be a great weekend...Ed

                            • canoetrip_2000
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
                                I would really love to know how you slung the hammock between those
                                boulders. You must have had a lot of line. I have a fantasy about
                                hanging mine in the Grand Canyon, but you cannot do it on the main
                                trails because the rangers will tear you a new one. Except for near
                                the rims, the trees are also too small. GC is my favorite place to
                                hike, would LOVE to be able to hang HH there. Please share boulder
                                hanging method!
                                Marsanne (wishing I lived some place colder, not in a swamp)

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Peltier <Thomas@G...>
                                  wrote:
                                  "On another note I build a double layered hammock and filled it with
                                  down on my last trip."

                                  Tom, that's pretty neat. Lot's of questions. What kind of fabrics
                                  did you use? What kind of stitches? Did this seem to hold up? How
                                  did this effect the comfort of the hammock? What do you thing will
                                  be the 'maximum' temperature that your fabric hammock will be
                                  comfortable at?

                                  Youngblood
                                • Tripp Clark
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
                                    Well, I did take an use the hammock on the trip from Carver's Gap,
                                    TN to Dennis Cove Road (Kincora Hostel). What a beautiful section!
                                    As it turned out, my concerns were totally unwarranted as they are
                                    experiencing unseasonably warm weather. I did not have a
                                    thermometer, but I am sure that the temps were no lower than 45 at
                                    night and the highs were at least upper 70's . . . it was
                                    incredible! Blue skies, lovely views from the Roan Highlands balds,
                                    just a toucj of color still clinging to the trees . . . gosh, why
                                    did I have to come back home!!!

                                    Tripp
                                  • ra1@imrisk.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
                                      Quoting Tripp Clark <trippclark@...>:

                                      > Well, I did take an use the hammock on the trip from Carver's Gap,
                                      > TN to Dennis Cove Road (Kincora Hostel). What a beautiful section!
                                      > As it turned out, my concerns were totally unwarranted as they are
                                      > experiencing unseasonably warm weather. I did not have a
                                      > thermometer, but I am sure that the temps were no lower than 45 at
                                      > night and the highs were at least upper 70's . . . it was
                                      > incredible! Blue skies, lovely views from the Roan Highlands balds,
                                      > just a toucj of color still clinging to the trees . . . gosh, why
                                      > did I have to come back home!!!
                                      >
                                      > Tripp

                                      Sounds wonderful and I'm jealous and I have to get out and do some more hiking!
                                      Any pictures to make me feel even worse?

                                      Rick
                                    • Tripp Clark
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
                                        Yes, I took over a hundred digital photos, but not a single hammock
                                        photo, so I don't know how well they'd fit in this forum. If I load
                                        any to the web elsewhere, I'll let you know.

                                        Tripp

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 4, 2003
                                          Message
                                          Glad to hear your hike went well Tripp--that really is a beautiful mountain trail.  I'm jealous since I spent the weekend working on the house.  Hope to see ya at the Scout Camporee next weekend...Ed

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 5, 2003
                                            "I would really love to know how you slung the hammock between those
                                            boulders. You must have had a lot of line."

                                            I was a little bit lucky and a little bit persistent. I did not have
                                            all that much line with me actually. If I was planing several days
                                            above tree line I would take more gear. What I did carry was a spectra
                                            ridge line and two seatbelt webbing tree hugger s. My spectra line is
                                            about 20 feet long give or take, my hammock is slung right in the middle
                                            9 feet with directional figure 8 knots. My tree hugger are about 15'
                                            long and have a loop sewn in each end.

                                            To my head side a found a boulder pinch were one large boulder was
                                            leaning on another. I simply wrapped my tree hugger around this and
                                            passed one loop through the other.
                                            On my foot side there was only a horn. The horn was fairly positive
                                            and since my direction of pull was constant and not very dynamic I felt
                                            comfortable with it. I then attached the static line and pulled it
                                            tight with a truckers hitch.
                                            The boulder with the horn came back toward me and off to my right. I
                                            had to get up once during the night to tighten the line so I would not
                                            contact the side of the rock. The benefit was a great wind block.
                                            I do have a background in climbing so I just pretend like I'm
                                            setting anchors.

                                            " Tom, that's pretty neat. Lot's of questions. What kind of fabrics
                                            did you use? What kind of stitches? Did this seem to hold up? How
                                            did this effect the comfort of the hammock? What do you thing will
                                            be the 'maximum' temperature that your fabric hammock will be
                                            comfortable at?

                                            Youngblood"

                                            I build my hammock with 1.1 ounce nylon. I used a breathable nylon for
                                            the top and a non-breathable piece for the bottom (same stuff I made my
                                            tarp from). the only stitches on the tarp are along the edges. I cut
                                            the bottom sheet 12 inches wider (or 8 I don't remember (but I have
                                            notes)) to create the space for the down. Although my girlfriend sewed
                                            some baffles for it she used the 1.1 oz nylon and the thing was blooming
                                            heavy and bulky. I ripped out the baffles (she made them self
                                            contained) and poured the down into the hammock.
                                            this worked very well except that I did have to get up and fluff the
                                            down in the middle of the night. If I sew in some sort of baffle set up
                                            I believe I can cut down on the amount of down and concentrate the down
                                            were I want it.
                                            As is the hammock is good probably into the 20's. If I use the same
                                            amount of down and add baffles I'm betting I can get another ten degrees
                                            or more. I"m a cool sleeper as well. I believe though that I can get
                                            this to work just like a sleeping bag. Fill the down to spec for any
                                            temp ratting you want.
                                            Some factors to consider still. I am in the arid southern Sierra
                                            nevadas and their was only a breeze no heavy wind. I definatly have
                                            some testing to do still.
                                            As far as the baffles go, I"m thinking about using no see um
                                            matterial as a 3rd layer and baffleing between that and the bottom on
                                            the hammock.
                                            I've also been thinking a lot about a wind break below the hammock.
                                            This concept was talked about a bit a few months ago. Breaking up the
                                            wind or air flow under the hammock will go a long way toward staying
                                            warm I hypothosize.

                                            Tom
                                            Pura Vida