Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22-23

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 29, 2003
      Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!

      Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina

      Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again to
      the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the SC-GA
      state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
      expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the experts
      and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your PeaPods,
      GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-filled
      air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under quilts,
      vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
      clothes will also be in order and each camper must be responsible for
      his/her own gear.

      Needless to say, attendees should be experienced in cold-weather
      hammocking.  However, those still learning cold-weather techniques
      are welcome, but should be properly prepared--some useful information
      can be found at these sources:

      ·Hammock Camping, The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience
      and Freedom…at http://www.hammockcamping.com

      ·How To Stay Warm, Hammock Camping News, Jan03 at:
      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Jan2003.htm

      ·Check out these FREE Reports at:  http://www.hammockcamping.com
      oHow To Stay Warm
      oGarlington Insulator
      oSpeer Hammock & Big Agnes Zirkel
      oHammock Tips

      ·Make your own Down Underquilt at: http://www.thru-
      hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=5&cid=72

      ·Make your own LiteLoft Underquilt
      at: http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/

      ·Speer PeaPod sleeping bag at:
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

      In addition, the archived email posts on the Hammock Camping List at:
      useful information from hammockers who are experimenting with their
      own homemade cold-weather gear.  See also the feature article on
      sleeping pads in this newsletter.

      Here's the trip detail

      Hike:  10.4 mi (or less if group decides to) on South Carolina's
      Foothills Trail.  Easy-moderate trail section that follows the
      Chattooga River.  Scenic/historic mountain river that separates
      Georgia and South Carolina.  Popular rafting river; locale for
      movie 'Deliverance'.  We will hike in about 5 mi and camp Sat night,
      then hike out on Sun.  End of hike is trailhead at junction of SC 107
      and Cheohee Road (Forest Service road 710), about 6 mi north of
      Oconee State Park.  Depending on time and interest, there is a
      possible 0.5 mi hike to the highest waterfall in eastern US
      (Whitewater Falls) on Sun (only 10 mi away via highway).

      Meet:  Trailhead parking lot on Burrells' Ford Road (Forest Service
      road 708, gravel).  Gather around my white Chevy van (NC plates).  To
      reach the parking lot, follow Burrells' Ford Road approx 2.5 mi west
      of SC 107 (paved).  The junction of Burrell's Ford Road and SC 107 is
      approx 5 mi south of the NC/SC line on SC 107.  The trailhead parking
      area is approx 1/4 mi before (or east of where) Burrell's Ford Road
      crosses Chattooga River.  We will shuttle one or more vehicles to the
      south trailhead about 6-7 mi south on SC 107.  Highway 107 junctions
      with SC 28 about 8 mi north of Walhalla, which is about 15 mi north
      of I-85 and 40 mi west of Greenville, SC.

      Departure from trailhead:  12:00 noon Sat.  Hike south (down river)
      on Foothills Trail

      Campsite Sat night:  Group decision--good riverside camp choices at
      2, 5 & 5.5 mi.  Hammock hangers will have to scout for trees (easy).
      We will camp inside the Chattooga Wild and Scenic River Corridor
      where Leave No Trace restrictions apply.  Campfires (small) allowed
      only in established campsite fire rings; bring your own camp stoves.

      Misc: Oconee State Park (w/ campground) is located nearby on SC 107.
      Primitive camping in Forest Service campground is available near our
      trailhead parking area on Burrell's Ford Road (short 1/4 mi walk-
      in).   Expect 20-50F degrees, pack for 10-20 degrees; hope for 50-
      70!  Bring trail lunches for Sat and Sun, dinner Sat, & breakfast
      Sun.  Hike will be cancelled only if highways are too icy for safe
      travel--each hiker should make their own decision.  Late arrivals can
      still probably find us as we will be camped somewhere along the
      Foothills Trail (probably the campsite at 2, 5, or 5.5 mi).  Longer
      hikes can be arranged for those with more time.  Some possibly
      confusing trail junctions exist--Foothills Trail follows beside the
      river; we will be traveling downstream.  Lost hikers should stay on
      the trail to reach road crossings or find other hikers.  FT is marked
      with white blazes about every 100 yards.  Double blazes mean caution--
      trail route makes unexpected change, such as sharp turn or trail
      junction.  Expect other hikers and campers.  A shorter hike can
      arranged if the group decides to do so.  Trail guide and maps not
      necessary for the group--I will have mine.  Trail guide and maps are
      suggested for anyone hiking solo.

      Additional Trail Info:

                  http://www.foothillstrail.org    Excellent trail guide
      and map are available from locale outfitters

      Everyone Welcome!

      If you have any questions--contact Ed at: (828) 724-4444 or
      ed@...

      Please let me know if you plan to attend....Ed

    • subypower
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2003
        Hello, all

        Ed and others who will be doing the nov 22 hike. I will be driving
        down on wendsday after work from Maryland to S C getting to the trail
        head at some point on thursday and enjoying the nice warm S C weather
        ( compared to MD in Nov. ). Then spend 2 days camping till every body
        else gets there, but i will hike out to meet you all, if any one else
        wants to make this a 3 night hike for themselves as well please let
        me know and if you are coming from up north i am willing to carpool.

        feel free to email me at a9144me@... or call at 443 850 7194

        scott

        aka white knight
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 2, 2003
          Message
          We'll be looking for you White Knight!  ...Ed

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
            Hi, Ed. I'm sorry I won't be able to make this one - this is a
            beautiful area in northeast GA/SC. I posted a couple of pics
            ('Steve' folder) from the area. My son and I hiked on the Chattooga
            just south of the section you're doing last November with his boy
            scout troop, then I went with a group of guys (and my pup) from
            church in January on the section you're doing - notice the shorts
            and t-shirt! Enjoy the weekend and the hike - it's beautiful
            country!

            Steve
            (now hiking in the cold, cold north.....)

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
              Message
              Thanks for the pics Steve.  The section of the Foothills Trail we're hiking really is scenic.  It's the Chattoogna River section, famous for the movie 'Deliverence'.  Hope you can make the next trip...Ed

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
                fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
                message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any questions.
                Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more are
                expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
                we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed

                > Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!
                >
                > Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina
                >
                > Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again to
                > the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the SC-
                GA
                > state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
                > expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the
                experts
                > and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your PeaPods,
                > GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-
                filled
                > air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under quilts,
                > vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
                > clothes will also be in order and each camper must be responsible
                for
                > his/her own gear.
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                  I'll second the area is nice. I wont be able to make it. I'll be
                  eating turkey at my wifes moms on night and at ball games the
                  other. Yall have fun and watch for falling trees. Ed is a a magnet
                  for them.

                  Coy Boy

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                    Message
                    We'll miss ya this time Coy--was hoping you could make it again.  Sounds like you're going to be hitting the Turkey early--Thanksgiving's not till the 27th.  Don't over eat LOL!  ...Ed
                    I'll second the area is nice.  I wont be able to make it.  I'll be
                    eating turkey at my wifes moms on night and at ball games the
                    other.  Yall have fun and watch for falling trees.  Ed is a a magnet
                    for them.

                    Coy Boy

                    > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming
                    up
                    > fast--Nov 22-23!  Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend.  See
                    > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                    questions.
                    > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                    are
                    > expected as the date draws near.  If you let me know you're
                    coming,
                    > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed
                    >

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > > Southeast Hammock Hangers Campout--Nov 22   Everyone Welcome!
                    > >
                    > > Foothills Trail, Chattooga River section, South Carolina
                    > >
                    > > Join us for our 4th hammock campout!  We will return once again
                    > > the beautiful Chattooga River and the Foothills Trail along the
                    SC-
                    > GA
                    > > state line. This will be a cold-weather trip with temperatures
                    > > expected from 20-500F--a great opportunity to learn from the
                    > experts
                    > > and see the latest stay-warm gear! Be sure and bring your
                    PeaPods,
                    > > GI's, foam pads, modified foam pads, inflatable air mats, down-
                    > filled
                    > > air mats, double-bottom hammocks, two-layer hammocks, under
                    quilts,
                    > > vapor barriers, etc.  Of course, winter sleeping bags and warm
                    > > clothes will also be in order and each camper must be
                    responsible
                    > for
                    > > his/her own gear.

                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 10, 2003
                      Actually I hadn't looked to see when thanksgiving was. Anways
                      looking at my scedual and realizing when thanksgiving is I still
                      wont be able to make it. I will be in Ga visiting relatives on the
                      22nd and have been informed we will be eating turkey so yes I'll be
                      eating turkey early then again a week later. Life is good! Maybe
                      next time. Yall have fun.

                      Coy Boy
                      PS I promice not to over eat. I will be on my see food diet.

                      > We'll miss ya this time Coy--was hoping you could make it again.
                      Sounds
                      > like you're going to be hitting the Turkey early--Thanksgiving's
                      not till
                      > the 27th. Don't over eat LOL! ...Ed

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                      7050658
                      > 43:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
                      bin/autoredir?
                      > camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>
                      >
                      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                      M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                        Ed,

                        I won't be able to make it. I have a previous commitment to a hike
                        around Blood Mountain on the 23rd as part of an AT thru-hikers
                        workshop. I really wish I could have made it, that is a great
                        section of trail and anyone who gets the chance should go by Upper
                        Whitewater Falls and check out the waterfall.

                        Dave
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                          Message
                          Blood Mountain isn't a bad alternative--but we'll miss ya Dave.  Just wish I could get out hiking as much as you do...Ed

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                            > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
                            > fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
                            > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                            questions.
                            > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                            are
                            > expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
                            > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed

                            Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                            weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                            heading out Friday morning, rain or not.

                            ciyd
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                              Message
                              Thanks for posting Ciyd--hopefully you're get some fellow hangers...Ed

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                To clarify, I'm headed out Thanksgiving weekend, on Friday, not this
                                coming weekend.

                                I wish I could meet up with ya'll in the SE, but the drive is a bit
                                too long :-)

                                ciyd

                                > Thanks for posting Ciyd--hopefully you're get some fellow
                                hangers...Ed

                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c0vqol0/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=
                                egroup

                                web/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1068658073/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.c
                                om/Def
                                > ault?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here
                                >
                                > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
                                M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                > l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=933203492>

                                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                              • Mirage
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                                  > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                                  > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                                  > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                                  >
                                  > ciyd

                                  Bummer....

                                  This weekend is the start of craft fairs for my wife (she sews kids
                                  dress up clothes/costumes if anyone is interested...) and I don't
                                  think my 4 and 2 year olds will hold up to this kind of
                                  camping/hiking yet...

                                  My 7 year old would love it though. Too bad, but I'll have to beg
                                  out this weekend.

                                  Where were you thinking of going?

                                  Shane "Mirage"...
                                • ciyd01
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                    Actually, I meant Thanksgiving weekend. T-Day will be for hanging
                                    out with friends and eating. Friday, I'm headed out to burn off some
                                    of that gravy.

                                    I was thinking about somewhere in Southwestern Washington or
                                    Northwest Oregon. Low altitude, no snow, that sort of thing. If a
                                    group wants to get together, we could do one of the many nice state
                                    parks and do some dayhiking.

                                    ciyd

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <web_dawg@y...> wrote:
                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
                                    > > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                                    > > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                                    > > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                                    > >
                                    > > ciyd
                                    >
                                    > Bummer....
                                    >
                                    > This weekend is the start of craft fairs for my wife (she sews kids
                                    > dress up clothes/costumes if anyone is interested...) and I don't
                                    > think my 4 and 2 year olds will hold up to this kind of
                                    > camping/hiking yet...
                                    >
                                    > My 7 year old would love it though. Too bad, but I'll have to beg
                                    > out this weekend.
                                    >
                                    > Where were you thinking of going?
                                    >
                                    > Shane "Mirage"...
                                  • Jay Willis
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                      ciyd01 wrote:

                                      > > Our next SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association Campout is coming up
                                      > > fast--Nov 22-23! Everyone welcome--hope everyone can attend. See
                                      > > message 3348 for full info; or contact me if you have any
                                      > questions.
                                      > > Three hardy soles have have made plans to attend already and more
                                      > are
                                      > > expected as the date draws near. If you let me know you're coming,
                                      > > we'll look for ya before leaving the trailhead...Ed
                                      >
                                      > Anybody besides me in the Northwest planning on camping out this
                                      > weekend? I'm planning on avoiding the malls and the crowds and
                                      > heading out Friday morning, rain or not.
                                      >
                                      > ciyd

                                      Ciyd, I'll be hanging out at Climber's Bivouac with a Boy Scout Troop. We'll
                                      be climbing Mt. St. Helens bright 'n early Saturday morning. Come on up if
                                      you're in the area. This will be my first test of my underquilt.
                                    • subypower
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                        well Ed, i see who all is brave or stupid enough to join us next
                                        weekend.

                                        also Ed when you send the guide book can you send me one of your
                                        books too, i asked you the other day to bring one with you but could
                                        you just send it with the other stuff and i will have money for ya
                                        saturday( or call me for cc number) 443 850 7194

                                        white knight
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 11, 2003
                                          Message
                                          Whitenight--the trail map went out today, but the PO was not operating due to the holiday.  I can also send a Hammock Camping book tomorrow.  You can pay $19.95 via PayPal w/ your credit card if you wish--I can send a PayPal invoice.  Or just let me know and I will call you tomorrow if you prefer.

                                          I only sent the trail map since it is the new one--very good and much better than the old guidebook.

                                          Ed

                                          Hammock Camping  (the book)  ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                                          The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                                          also FREE Reports!  FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!

                                          Speer Hammocks, Inc
                                          Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                                          34 Clear Creek Road
                                          Marion, NC 28752-6407
                                          828.724.4444

                                          Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                                          free online newsletter

                                          Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                                          a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 17, 2003
                                            We're looking forward to meeting everyone on this weekends' Southeast
                                            Hammock Hangers Association campout! The weather forcast is looking
                                            good with mild temps and no rain--70s/40s! This may be the last warm
                                            weekend of the season before the winter cold sets in....Happy
                                            Hammocking everyone...Ed