choosing the hammock

  • llenrocnave
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2003
      I know the main three hammocks are Hennessy, Clark, and Speer, and I
      was just wondering what is a good beginner hammock. My height is 5'
      4" and weight is 105
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2003
        > I know the main three hammocks are Hennessy,
        > Clark, and Speer, and I was just wondering what
        > is a good beginner hammock. My height is 5'
        > 4" and weight is 105

        Do you want something just to try?

        I'd recommend starting in a Bana travel hammock.

        http://bana.net/

        For more, see:

        http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.ht

        Shane (Not Mirage)
      • Bror8588@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2003
          Choosing a hammock is an individual thing.  Each have different features.

          The Clark Jungle Hammock has pockets built in to the hammock itself where items can be stored (and which may provide insulation in colder temperatures).  It also has an optional super fly (larger than supplied regularly) for an extra $20.00.

          The Hennessy has a unique system of getting into it from the bottom.

          The Speer has several options.  The fly measurement can be selected upon ordering or afterwards.  There is the option of removing (totally) the bug net and the rain shield.  But perhaps the best thing about the development of the Speer Hammock is the PeaPod -- a Sleeping bag which covers the hiker as well as the hammock, thus providing insulation for those colder mornings (nights).

          As I said, each is unique.  If you are not in a hurry to make a selection I would suggest waiting until you can view them at a Hiker's Fair or at a campout where several different ones are actually used.

          One thing I have experienced:  Hammocks are comfortable.

          Skylander