Re: First Hammock Camping experience (long....)

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2003
      Steve,

      I'm sure we all have some amusing stories to tell about our first
      hammocking attempts. Mine included getting poked in the butt by a
      rhododendron. I enjoyed your trip report and I'm glad it ended with
      a good night's sleep. Here are some suggestions based on my own
      hammocking experience.

      > I find 2 likely looking trees about 20 feet off the trail on a
      slope
      > away from the various groups. I pull the hammock out of the top of
      > my pack and quickly have it hanging [thanks to Shane's Hennessey
      > knot video :^) ], stake out the fly, and get the blue pad and
      > sleeping bag into the hammock.

      Right before you start piling stuff into the hammock, infact before
      you tie out the sides of the hammock, sit in it like a chair and lift
      your feet off the ground. This helps pre-stretch your lashings and
      ropes. You can even lie back on the hammock without getting into it
      to see if one end is sagging. Watch the muddy shoes and the bugnet
      or you'll get mud and water in the hammock. Now go back and re-
      adjust your set up. Do this a few times until you get it right.

      > I ease up into the hammock, slipp back and the pad
      > goes one way while the sleeping bag goes the other! I bounce
      around
      > until I'm able to get the sleeping bag mostly on the pad, struggle
      > into the sleeping bag (new bag is in order – this one zips on the
      > right – even tougher to get in!).

      I, too, have a right zip bag and on my last trip decided to use it as
      a sleeping bag to see how hard it would be to get into in a
      Hennessey. After about 3 attempts, I found that if I unzip the bag
      most of the way and roll the top open, when I sit down in the
      hammock, my butt is actually inside the sleeping bag and I don't have
      to do much to get it centered in the bag. Then flip the bag top back
      over you and zip it shut. As others have pointed out, using the bag
      as a quilt is preferrable. You will have the hood section to contend
      with, but that's not too annoying. If you don't want to have to buy
      a new bag but find that the bag as a quilt is too drafty, you could
      attach a couple of straps to it, ala the Nunatak Arc Alpinist, that
      would tuck the sides in and keep out drafts.

      As for the pad, it's a lot easier to contend with if you use the bag
      as a quilt. Then you've only got one layer below you that's mobile.
      I'm using an underquilt now and don't have to deal with the pad.

      > I manage to get the pad back under the bag, and can't find a sock.

      You can actually use that ridgeline as a slothes line. I drape my
      socks, glove, hat, whatever over the ridgeline. When I get out of
      the hammock, there is just enough snugness between the reidgeline and
      the bugnet to keep theis kind of stuff in place. Hanign a book over
      the ridgeline has not proven as successful.

      > At least it isn't raining as hard and I manage not to
      > trip over the fly tie-line this time.

      I changed my fly tie out cord to reflective stuff because I kept
      tripping over the thin black cord that came attached to the hammock.
      It also makes it easier to find you hammock when you go walking on
      the beach on a foggy night :)

      > and start what will be one of my most comfortable nights' sleep
      ever
      > while camping!

      Ah, the payoff! It gets easier and faster as you get more
      experience. I'm nowhere near Shane's times of 2 or 3 minutes but
      it's no longer 30 minutes of fussing.

      ciyd
    • subypower
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 27, 2003
        hello steve,

        first my name is scott and i am in b-more too,

        if you need a hiking partner let me know i need one to, as a matter
        of fact i am thinking of doing a MD AT hike in a few weeks. which
        will be solo most likly, unless i find someone else to go. and as a
        tree hanger going with a ground hugger does not make much sense.

        i am a lightweight ( sort off ) with some heavyweight equipment as
        well, currently using a HH asym, but still with synthetic sleeping
        bags. i cant seem to trust down bags there just does not seen like
        there is enough there to keep me warm.

        feel free to email me at a 9144me@..., so we can talk

        scott

        aka white knight