Artic Sheild ?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2003
      I remember a discussion we had on the benifit )or lack therof of the
      reflectix coating. I came away with the feeling that despite my
      inclination that it should help quite a bit there was little if any
      benifit to it. However I stumbled across this tonight. I havent
      seen it before. It looks like a new type of insulating or perhaps
      just some slick markiting. Reguardless, if it works I could also
      see it as a possible underblanket for a hammock or perhaps something
      to wear to bed. It apears from what i read it works on some type of
      heat sink technoligy. I'm not well versed on thermodynamics
      (airodynamices either) so i wonder what yall think. See it here.

      http://tinyurl.com/s5en

      Coy Boy
      PS I'll post this on BPL for more exposure but figgured yall were
      the smartes bunch of the lot. Yall do use hammocks.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2003
        Coy, this is my opinion. After quickly looking at Arctic Shield's
        products I am still a skeptic. The overboot demonstration looks
        impressive, but Sealskinz socks or any type of waterproof insulation
        used as an overboot would keep you warmer also. I couldn't pick out
        how they had applied any type of radiant reflector to the overboot
        that would actually reflect radiant heat. If you sandwich an
        aluminum material between two opaque materials, you are not
        reflecting radiant heat... you are absorbing it and I believe you
        could sandwich a sheet of plastic between two opaque materials and
        get the same insulative results. Radiant reflectors work wonderfully
        when they are applied correctly but don't do anything special in the
        wrong application. In this case I think all you have is a waterproof
        insulator, I don't see how reflective material is doing anything for
        you.

        Dave