Off Topic: Low odor food?

  • bronco372003
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
      I hate to get off the topic here but the members of this group seem
      to have great knowlege and wisdom so I will pose a question in the
      area of food. I am planning a 3 day trip to the back country of
      Yellowstone National Park next summer and as you all know they have
      a number of Grizzly bears and Black bears in the confines of the
      park. I was wondering if any of the group would know what good Low
      odor types of backcountry foods would be good to to bring along?
      The key words are LOW ODOR!! Bears have very good noses as you all
      know and I want to keep my visits from old mister bruin to a
      minimum. I am just trying to cover my bases, thanks for the input.
      Is there such a thing as Low Odor foods? Probably not to a Grizzly!!!

      Thanks
      Howard
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
        > Is there such a thing as Low Odor foods? Probably not to a
        > Grizzly!!!

        Nope. If a tree falls in the forest, the deer will hear it, the eagle will
        see it, and the bear will smell it. You may as well bring tuna fish...

        Shane
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 23, 2003
          If a tree falls in the forest, the deer will hear it, the eagle will

          see it, and the bear will smell it. You may as well bring tuna fish...

          Shane

          Ah, Wisdom. Shane, it's worth remembering.

          Rick
        • Bror8588@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 23, 2003
            What have others done who have hiked in that area?  Perhaps there are certain foods which are not desired by Bear or other predators.  How about sealed energy bars?  or low aromatic types of freeze dried foods such as Mac n Cheese?  Tuna will most certainly attract bear.  My experience in Yellowstone attests to that and I was in a campground surrounded by other campers.

            Perhaps the Yellowstone Park Rangers have some ideas.

            Skylander
          • navjohn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2003
              In a message dated 10/23/03 09:14:49, Bror8588@... writes:

              >Perhaps there are certain
              >foods which are not desired by Bear or other predators
              Yes, they're called vegetables. I don't think even a bear would eat
              broccoli. Seriously, a good technique is not to sleep where you cook and eat. Cook
              supper and eat it, then move on up the trail a few miles and set up a stealth
              camp where no one else has camped before -- easy to do in a hammock. Chances
              are, the bear will be attracted to your dining room instead of your bedroom.