Re: Nice Hammock Camping Spot -- Facing East Ridgelines

  • Bror8588@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 20, 2003
      East Facing Ridgelines -- Does that mean the ridgelines block the morning sun or is it that the East Facing Ridgelines means waking up at dawn?

      Skylander
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2003
        It means that you get to see the sunrise in the morning because you
        have an open view to the east.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
        > East Facing Ridgelines -- Does that mean the ridgelines block the
        morning sun
        > or is it that the East Facing Ridgelines means waking up at dawn?
        >
        > Skylander
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2003
          I usually put my ridgeline between 2 trees;')

          Coy Boy

        • Bror8588@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2003
            Facing East then means an early start in the morning.  This would be a good thing in terms of making good mileage on a days hike.  I forget who it was (Jardine?) who said that if you divide the day into three parts for hiking and hike 2-3 hours each section and maintain a mileage of 2-2 1/2 miles per hour you could cover 12 to 23 1/2 miles per day.  At that rate the AT could be done in 4 1/2 months of hiking (at 12 miles a day x 5 days per week) or even lower to Two and a half months (hiking at a rate of 23 miles per day and 5 days a week) with 2 zero days each week.

            Now if that seems unrealistic you might like to consider that others have done it even faster.  But of course there are supermen and women and then there are the rest of us who want to enjoy the beauty of the trail.

            Given all of that, it is nice to be in a hammock with the options of a quick and early get-away in the mornings. Another good thing is that we don't have to worry about stopping when we come upon a Shelter or Lean-to.

            Skylander
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 21, 2003
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
              > At that rate the AT could be done in
              > 4 1/2 months of hiking (at 12 miles a day x 5 days per week)

              by my calculation, it would take about 35 weeks (2100 miles /60 miles-
              per-week) or nearly 9 months.

              > or even lower to
              > Two and a half months (hiking at a rate of 23 miles per day and 5
              days a week)
              > with 2 zero days each week.

              at that rate, it would take about 18 weeks (2100 miles / 115 miles-
              per-week) or about 4 1/2 months.
            • Bror8588@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 21, 2003
              • Bror8588@AOL.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 21, 2003
                  I never was good at math or in this case, arithmetic.

                  Sorry.   I will figure out how long it will take me eventually.

                  Skylander