RE: Hammock Camping Cord for Tarp

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 20, 2003
      Message
      This was very timely since I was out this past weekend and trying to set up my tarp once again wishing I could remember the knot Dave showed me.  Instead i had to rely on a trucker's hitch, which works well but is more complicated than the tautline hitch.  I was at the Southeast Foot Trails Coalitation meeting in Monteagle, TN but didn't have time to do any of the fine hikes nearby--maybe next time...Ed

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 24, 2003
        Very useful knot! This is one of the first knots we teach Boy
        Scouts. One key to it's success is to be sure and tie it right - the
        running end of the rope should go in the same direction around the
        standing end as you tie the hitches. If you reverse the direction
        from one hitch to the next, the knot is not as strong, and it's
        technically not a tautline:

        http://www.troop9.org/?s=knots/tautline/index

        Cheers!

        Steve

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 25, 2003
          Steve, in looking over troop9's web site I noticed one thing that I
          like to do different. I like to attach the tautline to the tent
          instead of the stake; I find it much easier to reach the tent when I
          want to make adjustments and I really like using a clove hitch on my
          stakes. A clove hitch is very easy to tie/untie on a stake (you just
          form two loops to tie and slide it of the end of the stake to un-tie)
          and if the stake loses its purchase, the stake will be easier to find
          because the cord will still be attached with the clove hitch.

          Dave

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <joiners@b...> wrote:
          > Very useful knot! This is one of the first knots we teach Boy
          > Scouts. One key to it's success is to be sure and tie it right -
          the
          > running end of the rope should go in the same direction around the
          > standing end as you tie the hitches. If you reverse the direction
          > from one hitch to the next, the knot is not as strong, and it's
          > technically not a tautline:
          >
          > http://www.troop9.org/?s=knots/tautline/index
          >
          > Cheers!

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 25, 2003
            I agree, Dave - that's how I usually tie it - I just liked the
            animation they used in showing how to tie the knot! I usually use a
            2 half-hitch on my stakes, then a tautline on the tarp/tent
            side..... I think they probably did it this way because some tents
            come with the lines 'factory-attached' to the tent side.....

            > Steve, in looking over troop9's web site I noticed one thing that I
            > like to do different. I like to attach the tautline to the tent
            > instead of the stake; I find it much easier to reach the tent when
            > want to make adjustments and I really like using a clove hitch on
            my
            > stakes. A clove hitch is very easy to tie/untie on a stake (you
            just
            > form two loops to tie and slide it of the end of the stake to un-
            tie)
            > and if the stake loses its purchase, the stake will be easier to
            find
            > because the cord will still be attached with the clove hitch.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <joiners@b...> wrote:
            > > Very useful knot! This is one of the first knots we teach Boy
            > > Scouts. One key to it's success is to be sure and tie it right -
            > the
            > > running end of the rope should go in the same direction around
            the
            > > standing end as you tie the hitches. If you reverse the
            direction
            > > from one hitch to the next, the knot is not as strong, and it's
            > > technically not a tautline:
            > >
            > > http://www.troop9.org/?s=knots/tautline/index
            > >
            > > Cheers!

          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 25, 2003
              Ever had one of those moments where you read something and a little
              voice in your head says "Duh!?" I can't believe I'm so obtuse at
              times. I mean, I'm an engineer for crying out loud, I should have
              thought of this.

              Thanks for the enlightenment. I'm now off to re-do all my tie out
              lines on my rain fly. I've been using the clove hitch back on the
              line to adjust tension, but it's not the most secure.

              <shuffles off mumbling>
              ciyd