Re: Hammock Camping Re: Prussik Knot and others

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2003
      Bror8588@... wrote:

      > Recently at The Gathering of ALDHA in Hanover, NH at Storr's Pond I
      > kept my Backpack next to the tent and under the rain fly. I did not
      > have any food except for a can of almonds which I kept in the pocket
      > of the hammock (underneath) wrapped in my jacket. No damage.
      >
      > My main concern about this is when I am out in inclement weather. I
      > suppose a pack cover will be useful and that some kind of hanging from
      > trees would keep it safe from curiosity seekers (mice, skunks,
      > raccoons, bear, rats, squirrels, porcupines, etc.).

      Method so far:

      I usually put my food in an ursack and hang it in a shelter or set it
      upside down in the notch between a tree trunk and a branch. This keeps
      water out of it.

      I put my pack, with the compartments open, on the ground below me. If I
      need anything, I can get to it. It is waterproof enough to keep
      everything dry in a blowing rain storm. This is also a good reason not
      to camp over a puddle forming depression. If that is my choice then I
      hang the pack from a tree.